Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wildc.a.t.s. #2 spoilers/discussion

Oh man do the Wildc.a.t.s have poor timing or what. You try to have a story involving the Court of Owls and on the same day you release your story comes out the massive crossover of Batman/Spawn starring none other then the Court of Owls.

So what’s going on with our band of semi-competent heroes, assassins, soldiers, and spys? Well last we saw them they got in a fire fight with some armored soldiers, got chased by green arrow, and went down a hole only to find the court of owls. And so we find them fighting off and escaping from the court of owls. They manage to make it out alive, except for Deathblow though I think that’s their whole shtick for this series as their origin in the Wildstorm special and their feminine reappearance in this issue show they get put in new bodies quite frequently.

After that things get a bit tense at Halo Corp. Because Grifter wants to go after the Court of Owls but is denied because they aren’t deemed a threat to reality or the teams mission. And as someone who read today’s Batman/Spawn and Dark Night Metal they sure got that wrong huh.

Oh and the scientists working for Halo are a bunch of bickering villains. We got Dr. Ivo, Dr. T.O. Morrow, a Ms. Cale who I think is a Wonder Woman villain, a Dr. Stone, Dr. Stagg, and finally Nora Fries who if you don’t remember during that whole year of the villain story became Mrs. Freeze and has recently faked her death and gone out on her own away from her husband. It’s kind of fun to see bickering villains in a business setting not gonna lie.

Anyway Grifter decides to do things his way and investigate the court. Unfortunately this ticks off the Court who decided to attempt an assassination on his boss Mr. Marlowe and leads to the reveal of the Wildc.a.t. members to the public because as far as the court of owls is concerned only one secret society in this business.

So Mr. Marlowe decides to hold a press conference where he reveals to the world the Halo Corporation’s superhero team…the seven soldiers of victory.

So yeah once again we get some comedy vibes for this series. Grifter takes none of this seriously and is constantly goofing off and being quippy, not to mention making vague references to the multiverse once again this time DC vs Vampires. Not to mention the art is pretty consistent and good.
    Last edited by sifighter; 12-13-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Seven Soldiers of Victory team consists in

Mr Majestic
    Mother One
    Andromache
    Spartan
    Pike
    Maul
    Threshold
    Last edited by razzmatazz360; 12-13-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    The Seven Soldiers of Victory team consists in

Mr Majestic
    Mother One
    Andromache
    Spartan
    Pike
    Maul
    Threshold
    So that’s where Maul went after losing to the Flash in tag team multiversal wrestling.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So that’s where Maul went after losing to the Flash in tag team multiversal wrestling.
    I mean ... unless my memory fails me, he also went to be at the table of scientist as "Dr. Stone".

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    I mean ... unless my memory fails me, he also went to be at the table of scientist as "Dr. Stone".
    Oh is that who Dr. Stone is? I thought they were possibly referring to Cyborg’s dad or at least the evil robot clone of him from the Rebirth run.
    Words to live by.

Oh is that who Dr. Stone is? I thought they were possibly referring to Cyborg’s dad or at least the evil robot clone of him from the Rebirth run.
    It would be cool if it's a new relation to Victor like an aunt or uncle.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-13-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Amazing Member

Variance of artist aside, he is pretty on model for the Dr. Jeremy Stone, that is also Maul
    876475-j12.jpg
    It was always that his intellect was essentially in opposition to his size, so the bigger that Maul got the dumber he got, but when he was normal (or even in latter issues when he would actually shrink himself down) he got smarter

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It would be cool if it's a new relation to Victor like an aunt or uncle.
    A very distant uncle, I would say.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    Variance of artist aside, he is pretty on model for the Dr. Jeremy Stone, that is also Maul
    876475-j12.jpg
    It was always that his intellect was essentially in opposition to his size, so the bigger that Maul got the dumber he got, but when he was normal (or even in latter issues when he would actually shrink himself down) he got smarter
    Yep.

I'd be sort of shocked if it was not the case.

The really interesting wrinkles are Threshold/Mother One.

Barring that the team is a put on or some of them will be "Earth 2..." versions of those characters, exactly where that pair came form could be interesting.

Still not particularly invested in it. Cole going from leading the C.A.T. in The Wild Storm to being largely inept in this title is a pretty serious let down.

I’m kind of enjoying this, but I’m worried Rosenberg isn’t doing enough to really carve the Wildcats’s place in the DCU. We’ve seen so many corporate superheroes in the DCU that what they’re doing so far isn’t that unique. Plus that meeting gave me serious X-Corp vibes and that’s not a good thing.

Some other random thoughts:
    - I hadn’t realised from last issue’s art that Caitlin Fairchild was supposed to be THAT young now. So it seems her new power is to turn in to her older former self? But maybe bigger?
    - I hope Cole isn’t really from any of these alternate universes he keeps mentioning. If it’s just a gag because he really used to be from another world, it’s fine.
    - Between this and Stargirl, we’re getting two wildly different versions of the Seven Soldiers at the same time.
    - It was great to see Maxine again. Was she always that much of a creep though? Last time I read anything with her I was a kid.
    - This is supposedly a mini but they’re not announcing how long it is? They should have just removed the “limited series” indicator if they’re not really sure about the mini/ongoing status. It would have probably given them a better chance to keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yep.

I'd be sort of shocked if it was not the case.

The really interesting wrinkles are Threshold/Mother One.

Barring that the team is a put on or some of them will be "Earth 2..." versions of those characters, exactly where that pair came form could be interesting.

Still not particularly invested in it. Cole going from leading the C.A.T. in The Wild Storm to being largely inept in this title is a pretty serious let down.
    Surprisingly I wouldn’t call Cole incompetent/inept. He just largely defiant.

Because even when he does seemingly dumb stuff there is a reason behind it. When he got into a bar fight it was to find a replacement scientist, when he pissed off the court of owls it was because he recognized them as a reasonable threat.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I’m kind of enjoying this, but I’m worried Rosenberg isn’t doing enough to really carve the Wildcats’s place in the DCU. We’ve seen so many corporate superheroes in the DCU that what they’re doing so far isn’t that unique. Plus that meeting gave me serious X-Corp vibes and that’s not a good thing.

Some other random thoughts:
    - I hadn’t realised from last issue’s art that Caitlin Fairchild was supposed to be THAT young now. So it seems her new power is to turn in to her older former self? But maybe bigger?
    - I hope Cole isn’t really from any of these alternate universes he keeps mentioning. If it’s just a gag because he really used to be from another world, it’s fine.
    - Between this and Stargirl, we’re getting two wildly different versions of the Seven Soldiers at the same time.
    - It was great to see Maxine again. Was she always that much of a creep though? Last time I read anything with her I was a kid.
    - This is supposedly a mini but they’re not announcing how long it is? They should have just removed the “limited series” indicator if they’re not really sure about the mini/ongoing status. It would have probably given them a better chance to keep going.
    As far as the overall "Maxines..." go?

That was sorta tame.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As far as the overall "Maxines..." go?

That was sorta tame.
    Yeah I remember how she acted during the Wildcats ongoing during World's End arc and she was like this (well I think she is more "calm" in Rosenberg's run that in World's End).

Surprisingly I wouldn’t call Cole incompetent/inept. He just largely defiant.

Because even when he does seemingly dumb stuff there is a reason behind it. When he got into a bar fight it was to find a replacement scientist, when he pissed off the court of owls it was because he recognized them as a reasonable threat.
    See The Wild Storm #3/#4.

This "Cole Cash" is pretty darn useless.

Pretty breezy issue but enjoyable. Did not expect Mr. Majestic to reappear that quickly.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/