Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scream 5

I thought this was awful
    My Rankings

Scream
    I think 4 & 5 shouldn't be considered "cannon" as it doesn't have any of the humor of the first 3

Extraordinary Member

It's my favorite after the original and it's the first Scream to recapture the tone and style that Scream 1 and 2 nailed that made them fun.

I'd probably go

1, 5, 2, 4, 3

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It's my favorite after the original and it's the first Scream to recapture the tone and style that Scream 1 and 2 nailed that made them fun.
    I've seen comments like this around and i always think "did we see the same movie"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PLG1962 View Post
    I've seen comments like this around and i always think "did we see the same movie"
    To me Scream is a horror film first that has a setting of meta and is boosted by comedy. The first two Screams were legit tense scary films where the meta was an element of dialogue and comedy was situational. The third Scream was a comedy first that had elements of horror. The fourth was a Meta film first that was premised on a horror story.

This film was like the original two. A horror film with meta as part of the natural setting and dialogue and situational comedy derived by the plot. The opening scene was more tense than 3 and 4, the daylight scene killing was about as tense as any chase/horror scene in the series, there was a legit fear and danger for the characters, it didn't force joke characters like the actors in 3 or overdue the meta like in 4. The first Scream isn't even really that funny outside of the rules scene and some Matthew Lillard dialogue at the end which is situational and almost trying to alleviate tension. Also the killers were legit psychos who were on the verge of constantly losing it like Billy and Stu (and to a lesser extent Mrs. Loomis).

Scream 3 was so butchered to hell because of rewrites with deadlines and Columbine and all that. It didn't even have real violence. All of the deaths were like limplied stabs and a small bit of blood after the cut away, and Scream 4 was just gratuitous to the point where it doesn't even feel realistic most of the time.

And honestly unlike the last two where all the characters legit felt like cartoon plot caricatures, this got it back to feeling like it was real friend group that had a history with each other that were all emotionally invested.

To your point if any Scream shouldn't be canon it should be 3. It barely qualifies as a horror, the main cast is just a bunch of actors who don't really have any care for each other or any history, they are just there to be there. It's mostly just a comedy film. The violence like I said is heavily watered down compared to every film in the series. Lastly, the final reveal is a giant retcon that recontextualizes how the first film is viewed and it's so bad that nobody every brings up how the killer in Scream is supposed to be the real mastermind behind everything because he's such a forgettable character.
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 01-18-2022 at 06:31 PM.

My new ranking:

Scream
    Scream 4
    Scream 2
    Scream[5]
    Scream 3

I'd rather 4 was the coda but...oh well.

I mean, yeah. It made its money back quick and even [temporarily] dethroned No Way Home.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I mean, yeah. It made its money back quick and even [temporarily] dethroned No Way Home.
    Being close enough right now to the worldwide box office of Halloween Kills from just a few months ago is just as impressive in my opinion. Considering Scream movies seemed already dead for a decade.

I assume interested parties are really hoping Friday the 13th can exit litigation hell sooner rather than later.

My new ranking:

Scream
    Scream 4
    Scream 2
    Scream[5]
    Scream 3

I'd rather 4 was the coda but...oh well.
    My ranking

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Being close enough right now to the worldwide box office of Halloween Kills from just a few months ago is just as impressive in my opinion. Considering Scream movies seemed already dead for a decade.

I assume interested parties are really hoping Friday the 13th can exit litigation hell sooner rather than later.
    I'd rather Friday the 13th (at least for now) stay dead there's so many other horror movies I'd rather continue.

Scream 6 now has a March 31st, 2023 release date.

Still no word on what it'll be titled, but like the article says Scream 2 isn't necessarily off the table.

Scream 6 now has a March 31st, 2023 release date.

Still no word on what it'll be titled, but like the article says Scream 2 isn't necessarily off the table.
    I hope they are not rushing this also calling it scream 2 is just silly.

This is interesting I would love another season and give me another season of I know what you did last summer as long as you are at it lol

https://screenrant.com/scream-tv-ser...4-plans-story/