Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Maybe Xavier mentally commanded Nimrod to disassemble itself.
    Good theory!
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member

Or perhaps it’s the Phoenix Force making it’s return.

“Ooh a telepath I haven’t possessed yet. And unlike the other bald one it doesn’t have something already living in there with them.”

profxtk.jpg

profxtk2.jpg

There's another instance of tk back in the original run, when Juggernaut's origin is told, at one point Cain was in a rage and drove him and Charles off a cliff. Charles threw him out of the car telekinetically and used a tk field to protect himself from being crushed as the car tumbled down the cliff.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Maybe Xavier mentally commanded Nimrod to disassemble itself.
    This is a good one.

My first thought was that in his resurrection, he'd added some other powers that he kept hidden from everyone.

Seem to remember something about resurrection protocols and the possibility of putting someone's consciousness (and/or perhaps powers) in another body etcetera.

Or he could have picked up some tricks from Sinister *dunno*.

Cool moment though. I for one don't get hung up on such things. Let's chalk it up to a mystery that may or may not be explored.

Astonishing Member

Honestly? just chalk it up to the fictional trope that as the two most common discplines when it comes to psychics, everyone combines telepathy and telekinesis

Astonishing Member

It's an energy blast, it's not telekinesis.
    Charles had it in the old Stan Lee original XMen

In the book in which Charles recruits Cyclops, who was a teenager living with the mutant criminal Jack O Diamond, Charles deflects an iron beam with an mental energy blast

I'm pretty sure Emma Frost also had energy blasts in the 80s, and it's pretty much the attack you can see in the famous X-Men arcade videogame with White Queen as a boss. When Phoenix attacks Emma Frost in the Phoenix Saga, Emma focuses all her mental energy to free herself in a mental blast that blows up her factory, that's why the thought she was dead afterwards.

It's more like treating psionic energy as another kind of energy. And I think it should be seen more like a last resort thing, than something he can do a lot.

something like thisDm2gbxKXoAAl8Je.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    It's an energy blast, it's not telekinesis.
    Charles had it in the old Stan Lee original XMen

In the book in which Charles recruits Cyclops, who was a teenager living with the mutant criminal Jack O Diamond, Charles deflects an iron beam with an mental energy blast

I'm pretty sure Emma Frost also had energy blasts in the 80s, and it's pretty much the attack you can see in the famous X-Men arcade videogame with White Queen as a boss. When Phoenix attacks Emma Frost in the Phoenix Saga, Emma focuses all her mental energy to free herself in a mental blast that blows up her factory, that's why the thought she was dead afterwards.

It's more like treating psionic energy as another kind of energy. And I think it should be seen more like a last resort thing, than something he can do a lot.

something like thisDm2gbxKXoAAl8Je.jpg

While it may not be TK, I won't call it an energy blast. It was too precise plus, it was dismantling in nature.

Tk and tp are essentially semantic differences, despite the illusion of distinction. They are simply manifestations of psionic energy. Tk is 'action at a distance'. What happens when a tp broadcasts their thoughts to a distant person? Aren't their minds(the distant person) being changed? Wouldn't that necessitate neurons(physical cells), electrical impulses(electrons), neurotransmitters(chemicals), etc being changed[from a distance]? So we see telepaths are essentially manipulating matter at a distance already with their normal ability.

Xavier has used 'tk' many times over the canon, even early in Hickman's run. Just because he didn't levitate himself telekinetically all those years he was in the wheelchair, doesn't mean he can't move matter when he really wants to.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Or perhaps it’s the Phoenix Force making it’s return.

Ooh a telepath I haven’t possessed yet. And unlike the other bald one it doesn’t have something already living in there with them.”

Meet "Bald Phoenix"....

if anyone is wondering yes this is 616 Xavier!

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Meet "Bald Phoenix"....

if anyone is wondering yes this is 616 Xavier!
    Oh, well... The Phoenix "possessing" telepaths is so 20th century anyway. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    It's not really tk. It's a ridiculously strong mental-blast that can affect the physical world. He's done it before.

EDITED: X-Men #98.

Notice how in the scan you provided, Sentinel's head is still attached. Because it wasn't being affected physically. Now compare that with Inferno, where Xavier took Nimrod apart. A telepathic attack is not physical. Xavier took Nimrod apart so precisely that you can see individual screws. That's telekinetic.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    Notice how in the scan you provided, Sentinel's head is still attached. Because it wasn't being affected physically. Now compare that with Inferno, where Xavier took Nimrod apart. A telepathic attack is not physical. Xavier took Nimrod apart so precisely that you can see individual screws. That's telekinetic.
    That could also simply just be an artistic choice, in the scan I posted above, Betsy Braddock also employs a telepathic blast strong enough to disrupt or destroy matter.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    In those same panels, Xavier also considers that was one of his *weak* attacks. He expected to have destroyed the sentinel.

Amazing Member

There is another time back in the 90's where Xavier unleashed a mental blast strong enough to fry and knock off several techno helmets from a group of soldiers. I think it was in the Bloodlines crossover but I can't find the scans.

It could be a lot of things. We have seen multiple times that telepaths can manifest their powers as "hard" psi force that affects the physical( Psylocke's psycho blast, Emma's psychic lightning, etc etc). It just seems rarer and much more effort intensive for them to do. This X moment also could be demonstrating that when A.I become sentient and their neural pathways become advanced, that their "brains"also become susceptible to telepathy just like humans.

We have also seen that multiple times in the past. Psylocke has done it twice. Once to MasterMold(another highly advanced sentient A.I.mind) back in UXM 247, where she was able to over his "mind," and again in the Marvel Super Heroes Winter special where she also was able to briefly control another highly advanced Sentinel.

I think that's what happened here with X and Nimrod. Nimrod's mind is so advanced that it is just as complex as a human mind, and thus just as susceptible and can be attacked and manipulated.