Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Agreed, though it still sort of blows my mind that Marvel (the X books specifically) said 'to hell with it, let's just ressurrect everybody. Literally, everybody.'
    *Shrugs* At least X-Men came up with an explanation/ "plausible" way of doing it...

On the thread, there are just too many, most have been said.

A hero not taking out a villain who's killed thousands because "they won't be any better than them". This is the one that probably gets to me the most.
    Especially as there are other ways of stopping someone without killing them. I mean if you've trained all your life in martial arts and other skills (like anatomy)... surely you can break "every" bone so that they are paralyzed and whatnot without killing them.

Everything said on Batman. Which is why I prefer all the other versions we've got over the last couple of years - Imposter, Earth One, Murphyverse, Grave - and I recommend (traditional) Batman fans to go read them.

The reality is that we readers have to take things with a pinch of salt as there are certain things that just won't happen due to the need for Publishers to continue telling stories and making bank...despite the fact they don't make a lick of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    A hero not taking out a villain who's killed thousands because "they won't be any better than them". This is the one that probably gets to me the most. Especially as there are other ways of stopping someone without killing them. I mean if you've trained all your life in martial arts and other skills (like anatomy)... surely you can break "every" bone so that they are paralyzed and whatnot without killing them.
    I know, right?! Reminds me of...

ShadowHawk

The ENTIRE team of superheroes is unconscious on the comic book cover.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

The cover thing is so true, lol. I could quote half of this thread.

• A surprise/long-lost family member of the hero appears.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Probably more along the lines of 'ALL SUPERHEROES ARE VIGILANTES'.

It is against every law to put on a mask and punch people while interfering in a police investigation. It just is. Always has been. Seeing Marvel constantly dredge up the Civil War, Super hero registration, Devils Reign, Outlawed... and whatever else they want to do to make it look like the government is making against the law to be a super hero is utterly redundant.

It already IS against the law to be a superhero. They are all vigilantes. Now, some times the cops know that Spider-man or Daredevil are really on their side and won't try to arrest them.... but they are still vigilantes.
    That right there is why Civil War never made sense to me.

You're going to give people a license to be a vigilante? Does that mean they can now legally dangle people off of rooftops or go into bars and star beating everybody up until somebody gives them the information they need? If these guys had wanted a license for what they did, they wouldn't have become costumed superheroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm guessing you mean the Green Lantern Corps? That would be far more complicated because of characters like Abin Sur
    I was thinking of the Titans.

The Geoff Johns technique
    Uh, I don't think you can blame that one on Geoff Jones! Maybe Bill Finger!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Having a loved one murdered/die to encourage them to become a superhero.
    The Geoff Johns technique
    My number one peeve, particularly shoehorning it in where unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Uh, I don't think you can blame that one on Geoff Jones! Maybe Bill Finger!
    I'd say Johns uses the trope in excess. Tacking it onto Barry is one of the worst things to happen to me as a Flash fan.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

One that stands out for me is having the hero start in a really low place - either as an asshole or a kind of bullied loser. It's not subtle, makes certain heroes less relateable, and kind of implies that without the power/ability, the hero wouldn't grow to be as good or confident. You want to see a hero change and learn of course, but I prefer when they're at least likeable to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That right there is why Civil War never made sense to me.

You're going to give people a license to be a vigilante? Does that mean they can now legally dangle people off of rooftops or go into bars and star beating everybody up until somebody gives them the information they need? If these guys had wanted a license for what they did, they wouldn't have become costumed superheroes.
    They were making vigilantism illegal. If you wanted to fight crime, you had to undergo training and register, like any law enforcement official.

Definitely secret identities. For one thing, who’s got the energy to be too different people? Besides, the idea is just creepy.

Why does everyone have to have a super successful career? Why can’t someone just have a job?

Not killing dangerous criminals makes no sense.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Definitely secret identities. For one thing, who’s got the energy to be too different people? Besides, the idea is just creepy.
    How is it any different from going undercover? Spies are a real thing. How can Superman live as Clark Kent and be a reporter if everyone knows he's Superman?

Extraordinary Member

Magic being used as a lazy writing tool. Mostly in terms of "Magic is capable anything! Until it isn't. But wait! For this story it is! Just kidding!"
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-07-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Daddy issues

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    How is it any different from going undercover? Spies are a real thing. How can Superman live as Clark Kent and be a reporter if everyone knows he's Superman?
    The difference is that spies use secret identities in the short term, not for their entire lives.

Realistically speaking, Clark being a reporter would be extremely difficult, if not outright impossible when you consider how often he's gone off world, sometimes for months at a time. Never mind how thin his disguise is.