Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

"Because he's Batman."

"Batman can beat anyone with prep time."
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Great thread!!!

I'm sick of the comic book resurrections. ENOUGH already!!!

I'm tired of Batman being a total a-hole to everyone.

I've had a gut full of Batman being the ultimate hero being able to stand toe to toe with anyone in the DCU and having a plan to defeat everyone.
    He's a smart guy in a ****ing batsuit!! The bloke would be a red smear facing off against 95% of the foes the Justice League face!!!

I take issue with heroes requiring a personal tragedy to inspire them. Remember when Barry Allen was a hero because he wanted to help people?

It's ridiculous that a hero can't put down an unrepentant serial killer/rapist/terrorist because they'd then be no better than the criminal they hunt.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Great thread!!!

This is what I've come to post. Death means nothing in DC and Marvel anymore. Make it stick or don't do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    This is what I've come to post. Death means nothing in DC and Marvel anymore. Make it stick or don't do it anymore.
    Agreed, though it still sort of blows my mind that Marvel (the X books specifically) said 'to hell with it, let's just ressurrect everybody. Literally, everybody.'
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

As a counter to the "I can't kill X or I'll be as bad as X" trope, I give you the opposite: the hero who claims "I can kill whoever I want because I am a 'realist' and the system is broken and I infallibly know who should live and who should die." Nope. Sorry. Any "hero" who decides that they can be judge, jury AND executioner is a villain.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Agreed, though it still sort of blows my mind that Marvel (the X books specifically) said 'to hell with it, let's just ressurrect everybody. Literally, everybody.'
    I'm sort of okay with what the X books are doing, mass resurrections were needed after years of senseless deaths and genocide stories. I can think of a DC franchise that should go in this direction.

Astonishing Member

Great thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Simple solution: Don't kill characters.

Complex solution: Zor, the vile Anti-Spectre, replaces the deceased with a worse version from the Dark Multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I'm sort of okay with what the X books are doing, mass resurrections were needed after years of senseless deaths and genocide stories. I can think of a DC franchise that should go in this direction.
    I'm guessing you mean the Green Lantern Corps? That would be far more complicated because of characters like Abin Sur

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    3. "vigilantes" being treated differently than traditional superheroes. What is the difference exactly? Does the existence of superpowers somehow make you less of a vigilante?
    I don't think this cliche exists at all. Characters being treated as vigilantes and not superheroes has never depended on whether or not they have powers.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The villain turned anti-hero thing is old hat too.

Yes Venom, I'm looking at you!
    You too Harley!

I understand readers love the characters, but then choosing to revert them to 'anti-heroes' blows.
    Lethal Protector? Ugh
    And Harley palling around with the Bat family and Justice League?? What the actual ****???
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

- Mind control/possession/illusions causing heroes to fight each other

- Every other hero is defeated, so only this ONE character can save the day

- Heroes without powers are inherently superior and/or more down to earth merely because they have no powers

- Bad futures where everyone dies

- Stories based around the "for want of a nail" principle

Astonishing Member

Anything that returns to normal following "after this issue things will never be the same".
    - After Tower of Babel or Identity Crisis I really can't see Batman and certain Justice League members ever trusting one another again.
    - Just what does it take to be removed permanently from the Green Lantern Corps? I would think by this point Hal should either be top of the list of people the Guardians will not let back in or he should have "quit" one time too many for "take-backsies"
    - Could we maybe get a Flash who isn't Barry or Wally and then move forward with that character's story? Or a Hawkman who isn't trying to rework reincarnation/Thanagar? Nothing against either franchise, but the endless repetition of establish who the hero is has gotten old.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think this cliche exists at all. Characters being treated as vigilantes and not superheroes has never depended on whether or not they have powers.
    Probably more along the lines of 'ALL SUPERHEROES ARE VIGILANTES'.

It is against every law to put on a mask and punch people while interfering in a police investigation. It just is. Always has been. Seeing Marvel constantly dredge up the Civil War, Super hero registration, Devils Reign, Outlawed... and whatever else they want to do to make it look like the government is making against the law to be a super hero is utterly redundant.

It already IS against the law to be a superhero. They are all vigilantes. Now, some times the cops know that Spider-man or Daredevil are really on their side and won't try to arrest them.... but they are still vigilantes.

The villain turned anti-hero thing is old hat too.

Yes Venom, I'm looking at you!
    You too Harley!

I understand readers love the characters, but then choosing to revert them to 'anti-heroes' blows.
    Lethal Protector? Ugh
    And Harley palling around with the Bat family and Justice League?? What the actual ****???
    I laugh everytime I see this, it always sounds like the most 90s thing ever
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I laugh everytime I see this, it always sounds like the most 90s thing ever
    I know, right?! But, the artwork is so AWESOME!! (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-07-2022 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.