Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing spider-man #85 preview

Ben is going to lose BIG (as every other issue) in this, as per the solicits. Oh well...

https://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-m...-colleen-wing/

Ah yes, teched-out Ben. I'm sure this will age well...

How red is Colleen Wing's hair supposed to be? It's gone from straight red, to dark auburn, and now it's literally orange. It's probably the most "anime" she's ever looked.

How can you have favorite bullets unless you literally name said bullets and can tell them apart individually? Is Misty secretly Mista from JoJo's Bizarre Adventures?

"You're heavier than you look." I mean, she literally has a bionic arm. Unless the arm is actually weightless, thereby she's referring to Misty's butt.

"Sit tight, ladies." Ah, Otto's go-to statement towards women when keeping them captive...and yeah, it is kinda creepy, but on-brand!

"I can't believe we just lost to @#$% Dr. Octopus!" Uh...you mean one of the biggest Spider-Man villains, guy who was a major crime boss, almost destroyed New York 1-2 times, is one of the oldest Supervillains with great longevity? He's not Electro or Overdrive, or Shocker the Jobber.

Maxine Danger literally dresses like an evil CEO with that fur, haircut, and exposed cleavage. At this point the big surprise would be her being on the up-and-up somehow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ah yes, teched-out Ben. I'm sure this will age well...

How red is Colleen Wing's hair supposed to be? It's gone from straight red, to dark auburn, and now it's literally orange. It's probably the most "anime" she's ever looked.

How can you have favorite bullets unless you literally name said bullets and can tell them apart individually? Is Misty secretly Mista from JoJo's Bizarre Adventures?

"You're heavier than you look." I mean, she literally has a bionic arm. Unless the arm is actually weightless, thereby she's referring to Misty's butt.

"Sit tight, ladies." Ah, Otto's go-to statement towards women when keeping them captive...and yeah, it is kinda creepy, but on-brand!

"I can't believe we just lost to @#$% Dr. Octopus!" Uh...you mean one of the biggest Spider-Man villains, guy who was a major crime boss, almost destroyed New York 1-2 times, is one of the oldest Supervillains with great longevity? He's not Electro or Overdrive, or Shocker the Jobber.

Maxine Danger literally dresses like an evil CEO with that fur, haircut, and exposed cleavage. At this point the big surprise would be her being on the up-and-up somehow.
    Heavy hentai vibes from Maxine and Otto too

why do I feel that Maxine had the situation with Otto under control. cause I'm not expecting Ben to handle this well
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    why do I feel that Maxine had the situation with Otto under control. cause I'm not expecting Ben to handle this well
    Considering the summary for the next issue . . . I sadly might have to concur. Then again, we could get the kind of curveball where Ben does everything right --- but still loses because the universe just has it out for him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Considering the summary for the next issue . . . I sadly might have to concur. Then again, we could get the kind of curveball where Ben does everything right --- but still loses because the universe just has it out for him.
    Even the summary for THIS issue points that Ben is going to lose

Astonishing Member

"But, in the Merry Marvel fashion and as with all respectable Spider-Stories, even if Spider-Man wins, he is going to lose. And he is going to lose BIG."
    I think editorial thinks that Spider-Man (be it Peter or Ben) always has to lose for the story to be great

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    "But, in the Merry Marvel fashion and as with all respectable Spider-Stories, even if Spider-Man wins, he is going to lose. And he is going to lose BIG."
    I think editorial thinks that Spider-Man (be it Peter or Ben) always has to lose for the story to be great
    Not always, but the general idea does seem to be that even if he wins, it's accompanied by a setback in some other area, some worse than others. Considering the implication from this and the next issue's summary that New York City itself will be a casualty of Ben's rematch with Doc Ock . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Kind of sad Otto isn’t sporting the white suit from the covers and the .BE issue, instead going for a more Raimi-esque trenchcoat look. Probably since No Way Home came out recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Well, used to be things balanced out, but now it's lose, lose...maybe a kind of win, lose...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, used to be things balanced out, but now it's lose, lose...maybe a kind of win, lose...
    It seems that all Ben's wins have been off panel
    Last edited by Sr. Bungle; 01-06-2022 at 06:30 PM.

BANNED

Comics man. The worst hobby I have ever gotten into. In no other medium is there such an adverserial creator to consumer relationship. I been reading a long time now and it seems like misery misery misery is the only thing these guys are interested in publishing.

These threads are more like a Ben Reilly support group than a discussion about the story. And I feel like we all came to this with very adult, modest, and realistic hopes for this arc and even those haven't been lived up to. Like I just want to put an issue down and not be disappointed and that's happened 3 times. The first two issues and the Miles issue. And I guess the Dr Strange tie-in.

Like I just want Ben to have a win or lose good showing. I'm tired of comic runs that are just bulkshit tedium stringing along to pack everything the story should have had into the final issue and pretending that's satisfying.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

Maybe the covers are misleads and Ben is actually working with Otto to take down Beyond. Janine is in on it too, ensuring she’s embezzled a bunch of Beyond money and taken some Spider suits before they get shut down.

It ends with Peter back as NY Spidey with Ben and Janine driving off towards LA (maybe a stop by The Daily Grind to get a coffee for the road)

Pffft. Yeah right…

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    Kind of sad Otto isnÂ’t sporting the white suit from the covers and the .BE issue, instead going for a more Raimi-esque trenchcoat look. Probably since No Way Home came out recently.
    They are way too aggressive in tying this event to No Way Home and other current cinematic properties involving Spider-Man. This is one of my big issues with this event (Besides Ben continually getting beaten up).

Morbius? Check. HeÂ’s in an upcoming Sony film.
    Kraven? Check. HeÂ’s in an upcoming Sony film.
    Electro? Check. HeÂ’s in NWH.
    Doc Ock? Check. HeÂ’s in NWH.
    Goblin Queen? Kinda check. SheÂ’s a derivative of Green Goblin, who is in NWH.
    ThereÂ’s even a corporation that deals with the multiverse, a Doctor Strange tie-in, multiple Spider-Men, and a Spider-Man who is reliant on extra tech and gadgets (even though the writers keep forgetting to effectively use this).

IÂ’m sure thereÂ’s more elements IÂ’m forgetting, but this is ridiculous as soft comic tie-ins never affect sales, and it feels forced. Like, putting Doc Ock in a Raimi trench-coat would have zero effect on sales. At least Ben isnÂ’t using organic webbingÂ…

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    They are way too aggressive in tying this event to No Way Home and other current cinematic properties involving Spider-Man. This is one of my big issues with this event (Besides Ben continually getting beaten up).

Morbius? Check. HeÂ’s in an upcoming Sony film.
    Kraven? Check. HeÂ’s in an upcoming Sony film.
    Electro? Check. HeÂ’s in NWH.
    Doc Ock? Check. HeÂ’s in NWH.
    Goblin Queen? Kinda check. SheÂ’s a derivative of Green Goblin, who is in NWH.
    ThereÂ’s even a corporation that deals with the multiverse, a Doctor Strange tie-in, multiple Spider-Men, and a Spider-Man who is reliant on extra tech and gadgets (even though the writers keep forgetting to effectively use this).

IÂ’m sure thereÂ’s more elements IÂ’m forgetting, but this is ridiculous as soft comic tie-ins never affect sales, and it feels forced. Like, putting Doc Ock in a Raimi trench-coat would have zero effect on sales. At least Ben isnÂ’t using organic webbingÂ…
    There's even something involving the Lizard, lmao. They're really not being subtle at this point I feel.
    Also, just wait till Peter gets organic webbing...again.