Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    ASM #85. Finally, the plot advances. It's good.

spoilers:

Ben is competent, actually uses Beyond gadgetry, and finds out how Beyond is using him. So now he will be working against Beyond from the inside. All positive developments.

The only thing I didn't like is just how savagely Ben beat Otto. A bit of overkill I thought. Even the Misty and Colleen stuff wasn't obnoxious or too forced. Best issue, maybe since the Zeb Wells issues.

Good issue. As I've said before, Ziglar is one of the best writers after Wells on this event. Not all his ideas are great (I didn't like Ben letting his guard down last issue), but overall I like how he handles Ben as a character and his plots usually seem more thoughtful and fleshed out than some of the other writers on this.
    end of spoilers
    Ising him how? Do they hint as Beyond endgame?

Astonishing Member

What do you think is the big loss for Ben?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    What do you think is the big loss for Ben?
    spoilers:
    It's revealed he was only given the Spider-Man gig cause Beyond thinks he's a mentally unstable idiot who can be easily manipulated into doing whatever they want. He ends the issue giving Janine his Spider-Man mask and punching his reflection in the mirror, breaking it so it looks just like his Beyond dreams
    end of spoilers

I would like to dare to dream that this will be a positive development and not lead to more angry lashing out bouts of idiocy from Ben, but Beyond doesn't seem like a story designed to celebrate or do right by him.

The best issue since the Miles team up. Ziglar needs someone to pull him aside and explain that less is more. He's got a crutch of overusing banal and endless dialog that is meant to be clever. The book and his writing would be better served if he limited himself to a few great instances of dialogue instead of the verbal vomit style.

It's still not great and Ben doesn't come out looking awesome. I hate how this dude who had it together enough in the 90s to like maturely step side and not try to reclaim and identity that he thought was rightfully his and like has always been able to exist as an individual is such a broken person here because of like the stupidest stupidest stupidest story. I hate hack stuff like clone conspiracy where they're like "oh my God the hero went through a bunch of trauma you know off panel and that explains why he acts like a total genocidal douchebag now."
    Last edited by MisterC; 01-12-2022 at 08:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    spoilers:
    It's revealed he was only given the Spider-Man gig cause Beyond thinks he's a mentally unstable idiot who can be easily manipulated into doing whatever they want. He ends the issue giving Janine his Spider-Man mask and punching his reflection in the mirror, breaking it so it looks just like his Beyond dreams
    end of spoilers

I would like to dare to dream that this will be a positive development and not lead to more angry lashing out bouts of idiocy from Ben, but Beyond doesn't seem like a story designed to celebrate or do right by him.

The best issue since the Miles team up. Ziglar needs someone to pull him aside and explain that less is more. He's got a crutch of overusing banal and endless dialog that is meant to be clever. The book and his writing would be better served if he limited himself to a few great instances of dialogue instead of the verbal vomit style.

It's still not great and Ben doesn't come out looking awesome. I hate how this dude who had it together enough in the 90s to like maturely step side and not try to reclaim and identity that he thought was rightfully his and like has always been able to exist as an individual is such a broken person here because of like the stupidest stupidest stupidest story. I hate hack stuff like clone conspiracy where they're like "oh my God the hero went through a bunch of trauma you know off panel and that explains why he acts like a total genocidal douchebag now."

Well, he's a TV writer. Rick & Morty specifically.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Well, he's a TV writer. Rick & Morty specifically.
    It's made me nervous for She Hulk, that's for sure. But also you gotta adapt to the medium. Dialog like that can work when it's being read by a talented actor with comedic timing. Less so when it's just words on a page.

Not trying to dump on the guy. He's doing solid for his start with comics . Just a point of frustration with his style
    Last edited by MisterC; 01-12-2022 at 08:44 AM.

Fantastic Member

I do hope there's some form of reckoning for Beyond and especially Maxine Danger... she annoys me. Good issue, otherwise.

BANNED

My big hope is that

spoilers:
    In his moment of darkness Ben and Peter have a heart to heart. I am hoping that's why Wells writing the issue because he killed it with Ben and Peter in the first two issues.

Anything other than the standard "Beyond thinks they can use me?! I'll show them by becoming a completely unhinged piece of **** that the other Spidey has to take.down
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    My big hope is that

spoilers:
    In his moment of darkness Ben and Peter have a heart to heart. I am hoping that's why Wells writing the issue because he killed it with Ben and Peter in the first two issues.

Anything other than the standard "Beyond thinks they can use me?! I'll show them by becoming a completely unhinged piece of **** that the other Spidey has to take.down
    end of spoilers
    All this

Also I need to see Wells knock it out of the park w/ his Peter to get a grasp of how his new solo ASM will go