Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Super Friends Appreciation Thread 2022

The OG Justice League cartoon! 9 seasons, various members, a lot of weird bad guys. The Super Friends had it all. Probably the most well known season/version was Challenge of the Super Friends since it pitted the SF against The Legion of Doom.

I've been doing a rewatch and it's fun to see how quirky they were back then.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm currently watching the Challenge season for the umpteenth time. Still my favorite....
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Some of the Junior Supercriminals from the TV show based comic recently appeared in the Robins limited series.

https://www.deviantart.com/kyomusha/...endZ-760734944

Someone did a cool redesign on DeviantArt.

I can still hear the theme in my head!

Happy New Year to the Super Friends .

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Love those

The Samurai one's okay - not a fan of the others. Black Vulcan seems retooled to be a Shazam character and there's almost no point since BV was just a retooled Black Lightning in the first place. For the others, I'm just not a big fan of "street clothes as superhero costumes" unless there's a specific reason. (I also think the fact that it happens disproportionately with PoC just makes me think of it as an implication that they're not "good enough" for a traditional super-suit to stand next to the others. At least they have pants now.)

I do want to see Samurai (his look is different enough from Red Tornado despite similar powers, unlike the aforementioned BV) and Apache Chief actually make their way into the DCU. I know there have been attempts, but none of them have stuck. Nice to see the Wonder Twins as the Wonder Twins without much tinkering make their way in!

"Superfriends" will always have a place in my heart as it's where I was introduced to Green Lantern and was struck by how he seemed on par with Superman in terms of power level, but he wasn't as well known, so I was intigued. (and the green/black combo is a killer design)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-07-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Wasn't allowed to watch CN as a kid so some DVD compilations of the Super Friends was actually my intro to the League not the DCAU, beyond just general pop cultural osmosis.

The episode where the Legion go back and erase Superman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman from time must have influenced me as those are my three favorite DC characters now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Wasn't allowed to watch CN as a kid so some DVD compilations of the Super Friends was actually my intro to the League not the DCAU, beyond just general pop cultural osmosis.

The episode where the Legion go back and erase Superman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman from time must have influenced me as those are my three favorite DC characters now.
    The 3 most poweful members of the League?

I do love how diverse the show managed to be given the time it was produced in. Just a shame that they didnt really feature many other female superheros for WW to interact with. Even Legion of Doom had Cheetah and Giganta.

I posted about this in a thread on Saturday morning cartoons. I don’t care how lame people think the show is, how stupid Aquaman seems, how non violent the episodes are, whatever. When I see a clip of the show I smile so hard my face hurts! The first season will always be special to me. It where I was introduced to these characters in 1976. I remember seeing the Flash being blown away. He was the first hero who seemed on par with Superman. Love that episode!!! I can’t swim so Aquaman was always cool to me.

The Challenge season is obviously pretty special. I remember being surprised when the next season started and they didn’t continue with that idea. That was a letdown. There are some great episodes in that season and some surprisingly dark ones toward the end. The show may not impress people today but that was all there was when I was a kid. No Marvel movies. No CW. I’ll always love the show.

It looks like this artist ran with Alex Ross and Geoff Johns' idea to tie Black Vulcan into the Shazam Family. It's a shame that Ross & Johns never got to tell that story.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The Samurai one's okay - not a fan of the others. Black Vulcan seems retooled to be a Shazam character and there's almost no point since BV was just a retooled Black Lightning in the first place. For the others, I'm just not a big fan of "street clothes as superhero costumes" unless there's a specific reason. (I also think the fact that it happens disproportionately with PoC just makes me think of it as an implication that they're not "good enough" for a traditional super-suit to stand next to the others. At least they have pants now.)

I do want to see Samurai (his look is different enough from Red Tornado despite similar powers, unlike the aforementioned BV) and Apache Chief actually make their way into the DCU. I know there have been attempts, but none of them have stuck. Nice to see the Wonder Twins as the Wonder Twins without much tinkering make their way in!

"Superfriends" will always have a place in my heart as it's where I was introduced to Green Lantern and was struck by how he seemed on par with Superman in terms of power level, but he wasn't as well known, so I was intigued. (and the green/black combo is a killer design)
    I'm the opposite when it comes to street clothes versus spandex.

I actually don't mind the more alien design the twins had in Justice League. Plus Shifter and Downpour work as hero names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It looks like this artist ran with Alex Ross and Geoff Johns' idea to tie Black Vulcan into the Shazam Family. It's a shame that Ross & Johns never got to tell that story.
    I didn't know that. That's cool.

I'm the opposite when it comes to street clothes versus spandex.

I actually don't mind the more alien design the twins had in Justice League. Plus Shifter and Downpour work as hero names.

I didn't know that. That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You just posted the design without context. Making Vulcan a magical character is a good hook tho.

To me I wished they popped up in Black Lightning. Have them be old school heroes BL knew back in the day. You could also give them kids based of the YJ version.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-08-2022 at 10:55 AM.