Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 119
  1. #31
    Mighty Member Goldrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's as if DC's run by people who hate DC characters.
    It was riddled in the past with personal rivalry, big ego's, envy etc by the people who ran DC, with the characters caught in the middle. Now many of those people are gone, you got people who don't love the characters but use them for personal agendas or not having an idea how to make them work. Bat provides a comfort zone, so who cares at the end of the day you still get paid.
    Lack of talent at DC is now very evident and mostly they are not into these characters, which is sad.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 01-09-2022 at 04:05 PM.

  2. #32
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Fans fault for not buying the other characters books.

  3. #33
    Mighty Member MoneySpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Fans fault for not buying the other characters books.
    Sometimes, fans don't even know books for certain characters are out because the company won't advertise the book to begin with. It's hard for fans to pick up a Vixen miniseries if DC doesn't advertise the miniseries in the first place. And when sales are low for a miniseries that a lot of fans don't know exists, the fans get blamed.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

  4. #34
    Mighty Member Goldrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Fans fault for not buying the other characters books.
    That is unfair partially, yes some don't care, but main issue is lack of promotion by DC, I have seen creative teams on twitter pleading with people to buy or trying to promote a book. The only problem is that they don't understand that most of those on twitter that follow them, don't buy the comic they resort to pirate sites.

  5. #35
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,060

    Default

    It’s beyond just a lack of advertising. That’s what happens when you can’t cycle in new readers. Comics used to run on the premise that every few years your customers would grow out of comics and you’d have a new, younger set of readers to replace them. American superhero comics haven’t been able to achieve this in any significant capacity in decades, and as a result the reader pool that remains is less willing to take a chance on the smaller or newer properties.
    Last edited by Holt; 01-10-2022 at 09:14 AM.

  6. #36
    Incredible Member Captain Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Beach Haven NJ & Casablanca Morroco
    Posts
    543

    Default

    And your just realizing that? DC's motto should be: "In Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman we trust". Actually I think it is.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !!

  7. #37
    Mighty Member Goldrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It’s beyond just a lack of advertising. That’s what happens when you can’t cycle in new readers. Comics used to run on the premise that every few years your customers would grow out of comics and you’d have a new, younger set of readers to replace them. American superhero comics haven’t been able to achieve this in any significant capacity in decades, and as a result the reader pool that remains is less willing to take a chance on the smaller or newer properties.
    they try occasionally but it is more shock value than substance. I believe that currently DC is at its lowest when it comes to talented creative teams, there are some good ones, but still not enough to drag the characters out of mediocrity. They don't want to spare talent on some characters, it has been proved that these characters can sell when given the chance, but somehow they manage to undo that, seems they don't want these characters to succeed.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Fans fault for not buying the other characters books.
    Not the fans fault when DC spent nearly a decade driving everything that wasn't Batman into the ground. Wonder Woman, Superman, the Legion and Titans were all victims of editorial interference and micromanaging from the previous regime at DC that thought CoiE and the Kahn era of DC was a mistake and tried to reverse nearly three decades of stories so that DC would be more like when they were reading comics as kids during the Silver Age.

  9. #39
    Mighty Member Goldrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Not the fans fault when DC spent nearly a decade driving everything that wasn't Batman into the ground. Wonder Woman, Superman, the Legion and Titans were all victims of editorial interference and micromanaging from the previous regime at DC that thought CoiE and the Kahn era of DC was a mistake and tried to reverse nearly three decades of stories so that DC would be more like when they were reading comics as kids during the Silver Age.
    It is not just that, as I said Batman provides a comfort zone, so they don't have the need to put energy into other characters, Has nothing to do with reversing previous decades, many fans had been asking for that. honestly Superman has been on the decline in comics since the 90's if not before. The main issue remains lack of energy to do anything to promote other characters, and if a character somehow does well, they do their utmost to stop that or dismantle all that made it happen. GL is a good example.
    Seems they don't want any character to do well since it will force them to do more work.

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Superman had five ongoings during the 90s not to mention multiple spinoff titles like Supergirl/Superboy/Steel! It was pure neglect that lead to the sorry state of his current situation. He had an entire lost decade from pre-Infinite Crisis to pre-Rebirth where it was a revolving door of creators due to editorial micromanaging everything and forcing out creators for a new flavor of the week. It continues to this day with Tomasi/Gleason getting kicked out for Bendis and then Bendis folding.

    Batman during this time had Morrison and Snyder back to back. Superman had no one that stayed the equivalent length of the time. And that was due to editorial. Superman was absolutely a victim of pure neglect. Same with Wonder Woman (they had the same editor) except more malicious due to disagreements that Rucka had with his editor that eventually lead to Amazons Attack. Ditto for LoSH (editorial sabotage) and Teen Titans (revolving door of creators and bad creator relations with editors).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-10-2022 at 07:38 PM.

  11. #41
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    It was riddled in the past with personal rivalry, big ego's, envy etc by the people who ran DC, with the characters caught in the middle. Now many of those people are gone, you got people who don't love the characters but use them for personal agendas or not having an idea how to make them work. Bat provides a comfort zone, so who cares at the end of the day you still get paid.
    Lack of talent at DC is now very evident and mostly they are not into these characters, which is sad.
    I still think of Didio's comment to Marv Wolfman when he turned in the scripts for the New Teen Titans Convergence story.
    "You really like these characters, don't you?"

    Wolfman's reply should have been, "Don't you?"
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Superman had five ongoings during the 90s not to mention multiple spinoff titles like Supergirl/Superboy/Steel! It was pure neglect that lead to the sorry state of his current situation. He had an entire lost decade from pre-Infinite Crisis to pre-Rebirth where it was a revolving door of creators due to editorial micromanaging everything and forcing out creators for a new flavor of the week. It continues to this day with Tomasi/Gleason getting kicked out for Bendis and then Bendis folding.

    Batman during this time had Morrison and Snyder back to back. Superman had no one that stayed the equivalent length of the time. And that was due to editorial. Superman was absolutely a victim of pure neglect. Same with Wonder Woman (they had the same editor) except more malicious due to disagreements that Rucka had with his editor that eventually lead to Amazons Attack. Ditto for LoSH (editorial sabotage) and Teen Titans (revolving door of creators and bad creator relations with editors).
    Yup, Superman was honestly on fire in the 90s in the comics. The whole line was basically in step with how to tell his stories and they had a solid direction for him and it allowed for multiple spinoff properties the same way there are tons of Batfamily books today. Similarly, Titans and Legion were two of DC's biggest properties and they got mismanaged to hell

  13. #43
    Mighty Member Goldrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Superman had five ongoings during the 90s not to mention multiple spinoff titles like Supergirl/Superboy/Steel! It was pure neglect that lead to the sorry state of his current situation. He had an entire lost decade from pre-Infinite Crisis to pre-Rebirth where it was a revolving door of creators due to editorial micromanaging everything and forcing out creators for a new flavor of the week. It continues to this day with Tomasi/Gleason getting kicked out for Bendis and then Bendis folding.

    Batman during this time had Morrison and Snyder back to back. Superman had no one that stayed the equivalent length of the time. And that was due to editorial. Superman was absolutely a victim of pure neglect. Same with Wonder Woman (they had the same editor) except more malicious due to disagreements that Rucka had with his editor that eventually lead to Amazons Attack. Ditto for LoSH (editorial sabotage) and Teen Titans (revolving door of creators and bad creator relations with editors).
    You reduce it all to comics when the issue is not just comics. The issue is that WB does nothing to exploit any success in other media a character might obtain, to make most of that, to further promote the characters. If it is all reduced to just comics, useless saying LoSH was sabotaged or not, only comic readers know about that, the public that does not read comics has no idea who even they are. But if they make a movie about them, useless just having a comic and not exploiting the attention the movie brings in to further promote them.
    Batman provides the revenue, why bother with other characters, that is the reasoning at DC. At the end of the day they get paid just the same. When with such properties WB/AT&T/discovery should be mad that they are not exploited.

  14. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I still think of Didio's comment to Marv Wolfman when he turned in the scripts for the New Teen Titans Convergence story.
    "You really like these characters, don't you?"

    Wolfman's reply should have been, "Don't you?"
    Being professional and smart about your job is more important than liking a character. Christopher Priest disliked Black Panther when he started writing the character, Bruce Timm was more of a Marvel fan and I recall even Greg Rucka saying he wasn't all that interested in Wonder Woman when he was given the job of writing her. All of these people did great work with DC characters. Meanwhile, Brian Singer claimed to be a Superman fan and we all know how Superman Returns turned out.

  15. #45
    Fantastic Member red winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn
    Posts
    383

    Default

    DC has an array of characters with Wildstorm, Tangent, Milestone and Hanna Barbera not to mention the Elseworlds & Multiverse despite that, they use Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman and characters they are connected to in every book.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •