Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Superman is a top character and they were fine with Peacemaker mocking him.
    He's not THE top character anymore, if Peacemaker came out in the 70s when he was the undisputed top character they'd never allow those kind of jokes to be made about him. Also DC at one point wanted to rename the whole company Superman Comics so let's not act like he never got the star treatment Batman gets.

I see people saying Batman not being allowed to go down on Catwoman is somehow a sign of bias when NO male hero has ever been shown or said to do that to anyone. Can anyone remind me of a time Superman was said to have gone down on Lois Lane? Exactly, it's not a Batman thing it's a "we don't want our characters who we market to children in these situations" thing.

Whether anyone agrees with it or not WB clearly views DC as a family and kid friendly IP and think them doing something sexual, even if it's on an adult show, might hurt that image. It has nothing to do with Batman, they wouldn't let a B-lister like Green Arrow do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    He's not THE top character anymore,
    Kind of moving the goal posts here.

Also DC at one point wanted to rename the whole company Superman Comics
    When?

I see people saying Batman not being allowed to go down on Catwoman is somehow a sign of bias when NO male hero has ever been shown or said to do that to anyone.
    The criticism was about how DC had an immature view of sex and heroism, not bias towards Batman. If anything, people (jokingly) felt DC/WB was doing Bruce a disservice.

Also, Green Arrow has been implied to do that to Black Canary and there's a comic of Ant-Man doing it to the Wasp. But that's neither here nor there.

Personally, I don't give a crap what Bruce does or doesn't do in the bedroom.

Whether anyone agrees with it or not WB clearly views DC as a family and kid friendly IP and think them doing something sexual, even if it's on an adult show, might hurt that image. It has nothing to do with Batman, they wouldn't let a B-lister like Green Arrow do it either.
    If that were true, the Harley Quinn, Doom Patrol and Peacemaker shows would not be made the way they are. You can't claim this is about protecting a family friendly image when you make jokes about Superman having a poop fetish and Aquaman having sex with fish. And that's just looking at the Peacemaker show.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-19-2022 at 04:32 AM.

Kind of moving the goal posts here.

When?

The criticism was about how DC had an immature view of sex and heroism, not bias towards Batman. If anything, people (jokingly) felt DC/WB was doing Bruce a disservice.

Also, Green Arrow has been implied to do that to Black Canary and there's a comic of Ant-Man doing it to the Wasp. But that's neither here nor there.

Personally, I don't give a crap what Bruce does or doesn't do in the bedroom.

If that were true, the Harley Quinn, Doom Patrol and Peacemaker shows would not be made the way they are. You can't claim this is about protecting a family friendly image when you make jokes about Superman having a poop fetish and Aquaman having sex with fish. And that's just looking at the Peacemaker show.
    How am I moving the goalposts? When I said "a top character" I meant a company's flagship #1 character, Mickey Mouse, Batman, Spider-Man, Bugs Bunny, not high profile characters but the most popular one.

I can't find the original article I read years ago where DC seriously considered the name change to Superman Comics in the 70s but Wikipedia mentions how they used the brand "Superman-DC" from the 50s to the 70s: they were that behind Superman they billed themselves as Superman-DC not even DC-Superman. I wonder what the reaction to Batman-DC would be.

The Catwoman incident was brought up by The Kid as an example of DC supposedly trying to protect him, his exact words: "They did the same thing in Harley Quinn where they apparently didn't let him go down on Catwoman because he's a 'hero'. It ended up backfiring since once that got leaked onto the internet since Batman became the brunt of the joke on social media as a guy who doesn't pleasure his lovers lol. Funny situation where their attempt to protect him made everyone clown on him for a few days smh"

I've never heard of GA being implied to have gone down on Black Canary so I'll take your word for it but implying something is a whole lot different than actually going through with it. I take it that happened in a comic and not something more high profile like a cartoon, comics are held on a less strict leash hence why the Batpenis ordeal was allowed. They'd never let that happen in a mainstream media.

You're right about Harley but Doom Patrol and Peacemaker aren't characters who are heavily marketed towards kids so they can get away with stuff Batman, Superman and other JL members can't on their shows and movies.
    Last edited by The True Detective; 01-19-2022 at 04:54 AM.

How am I moving the goalposts? When I said "a top character" I meant a company's flagship #1 character, Mickey Mouse, Batman, Spider-Man, Bugs Bunny, not high profile characters but the most popular one.

I can't find the original article I read years ago where DC seriously considered the name change to Superman Comics in the 70s but Wikipedia mentions how they used the brand "Superman-DC" from the 50s to the 70s: they were that behind Superman they billed themselves as Superman-DC not even DC-Superman. I wonder what the reaction to Batman-DC would be.

The Catwoman incident was brought up by The Kid as an example of DC supposedly trying to protect him, his exact words: "They did the same thing in Harley Quinn where they apparently didn't let him go down on Catwoman because he's a 'hero'. It ended up backfiring since once that got leaked onto the internet since Batman became the brunt of the joke on social media as a guy who doesn't pleasure his lovers lol. Funny situation where their attempt to protect him made everyone clown on him for a few days smh"

I've never heard of GA being implied to have gone down on Black Canary so I'll take your word for it but implying something is a whole lot different than actually going through with it. I take it that happened in a comic and not something more high profile like a cartoon, comics are held on a less strict leash hence why the Batpenis ordeal was allowed. They'd never let that happen in a mainstream media.

You're right about Harley but Doom Patrol and Peacemaker aren't characters who are heavily marketed towards kids so they can get away with stuff Batman, Superman and other JL members can't on their shows and movies.
    Doom Patrol and Peacemaker are still DC characters, and Harley is tied heavily to Batman (he and the rest of the Justice League have been featured heavily on their show for crying out loud). And again, if this is about protecting a family-friendly image, the Superman and Aquaman jokes should have faced equal scrutiny from them. No one would have an issue with this if not for the very obvious double standard.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I don't think even Superman was treated like Batman is when he was top dog.
    Any good examples?

Doom Patrol and Peacemaker are still DC characters, and Harley is tied heavily to Batman (he and the rest of the Justice League have been featured heavily on their show for crying out loud). And again, if this is about protecting a family-friendly image, the Superman and Aquaman jokes should have faced equal scrutiny from them. No one would have an issue with this if not for the very obvious double standard.
    They're DC characters in the same way Spider-Man and Deadpool are both Marvel characters but 1 is allowed to be in R-rated movies and the other isn't. Care to take a guess on why that is? And obvious double standard? Please, the same Harley Quinn show you're talking about has a running joke about Batman liking to **** bats. DC let a high profile writer in Kevin Smith write a comic where Batman peed on himself. Titans' whole marketing campaign was built on Dick Grayson saying **** Batman.

If there was a Wonder Girl show where she says **** Wonder Woman in the trailer no doubt you'd be using that as a sign DC hated her and it'd somehow be Batman's fault. I'm pretty sure you were awfully quiet when that Titans trailer 1st dropped. If things were reversed and Donna Troy took Dick's place in the F my mentor spot you'd have something to say I'm sure.

You conviently ignore all the times Batman has been made to look bad, not that that surprises me, you consistently downplay anything bad that happens to him for some reason. He has been mocked, humiliated and had plenty of jokes made at his expense don't ignore or downplay them because you wanna argue DC protects him.

They're DC characters in the same way Spider-Man and Deadpool are both Marvel characters but 1 is allowed to be in R-rated movies and the other isn't. Care to take a guess on why that is?

You still haven't explained why the Superman and Aquaman jokes got a pass but the Batman one almost didn't.

And obvious double standard? Please, the same Harley Quinn show you're talking about has a running joke about Batman liking to **** bats. DC let a high profile writer in Kevin Smith write a comic where Batman peed on himself. Titans' whole marketing campaign was built on Dick Grayson saying **** Batman.
    Yes, I am aware DC has occasionally made jokes about Batman. It doesn't make this particular case anymore idiotic. Also, if you actually watched Titans, Bruce is depicted in a pretty sympathetic light, with Dick's issues being almost entirely his fault. Even the "**** Batman" line wasn't about making Bruce look bad. And the fact that they were okay with that line for the Harley Quinn show only makes the fact Gunn had to convince them to let the Peacemaker joke slide (not to mention Aquaman gets it way worse in that show than Bruce).

I'm pretty sure you were awfully quiet when that Titans trailer 1st dropped.
    Only because I was rendered speechless by people calling Starfire's actress a prostitute.

You conviently ignore all the times Batman has been made to look bad, not that that surprises me, you consistently downplay anything bad that happens to him for some reason. He has been mocked, humiliated and had plenty of jokes made at his expense don't ignore or downplay them because you wanna argue DC protects him.
    I've seen DC humiliate, mock, kill, maim, torture and do far worse to characters that aren't Bruce, so you'll have to forgive me if I think the guy frequently treated as the company's golden boy time and time again, to the point an acclaimed director has to convince the higher ups to let a small joke at his expense slide.

How many times have you protested another character's mistreatment who wasn't Batman?

You still haven't explained why the Superman and Aquaman jokes got a pass but the Batman one almost didn't.

Yes, I am aware DC has occasionally made jokes about Batman. It doesn't make this particular case anymore idiotic. Also, if you actually watched Titans, Bruce is depicted in a pretty sympathetic light, with Dick's issues being almost entirely his fault. Even the "**** Batman" line wasn't about making Bruce look bad. And the fact that they were okay with that line for the Harley Quinn show only makes the fact Gunn had to convince them to let the Peacemaker joke slide (not to mention Aquaman gets it way worse in that show than Bruce).

Only because I was rendered speechless by people calling Starfire's actress a prostitute.

I've seen DC humiliate, mock, kill, maim, torture and do far worse to characters that aren't Bruce, so you'll have to forgive me if I think the guy frequently treated as the company's golden boy time and time again, to the point an acclaimed director has to convince the higher ups to let a small joke at his expense slide.

How many times have you protested another character's mistreatment who wasn't Batman?
    Batman is the butt of a lot of jokes on the Harley Quinn series. That's great series.

I literally explained multiple times why they had more of a problem with the Batman joke vs the Aquaman and Superman jokes. He makes them more money than those 2, likely more than them the 2 of them combined so they're more protective of him. Can you tell me if Batman fucks bats is any less offensive to him than Aquaman fucks fish? I assume you have a problem with the latter and not the former.

Lol I knew you'd find away to downplay the times he's made fun of, sure, he only has jokes made about him occasionally. Even if that we're true implying he has sex with bats and having the focal point of a trailer being **** him are more severe disses than most other heroes have gotten. You know you'd be complaining if someone said F Wonder Woman so that's likely why you ignored that part of my post.

Why does this 1 time they protested, not even stopped, a director from making a joke about him outweigh the times they ok'd him looking bad? Even if Titans portrayed him in a sympathetic light it doesn't matter because a lot of people who saw the 1st trailer haven't watched the show so their lasting impression of it is the **** Batman line.

Batman's my favorite character so naturally I talk about him more than anyone else, plus he gets far more hate than anyone else so coming to their defense wouldn't be necessary. You however do not like him so I'm confused as to why you're always in threads about him. You'll never see me in threads about characters I don't like, I just ignore them, it's actually pretty easy.

JusticeLeague3LogoVariant.jpg
    1987 Variant, released in select test markets.

According to this, of the top 50 DC comics sold in the month of November, only two weren't Batman books - Wonder Woman Historia and Justice League Incarnate.

I literally explained multiple times why they had more of a problem with the Batman joke vs the Aquaman and Superman jokes. He makes them more money than those 2, likely more than them the 2 of them combined so they're more protective of him. Can you tell me if Batman fucks bats is any less offensive to him than Aquaman fucks fish? I assume you have a problem with the latter and not the former.
    You assume wrong.

Lol I knew you'd find away to downplay the times he's made fun of
    Like how you downplay the way DC treats anyone who isn't Batman.

sure, he only has jokes made about him occasionally. Even if that we're true implying he has sex with bats and having the focal point of a trailer being **** him are more severe disses than most other heroes have gotten. You know you'd be complaining if someone said F Wonder Woman so that's likely why you ignored that part of my post.
    I don't know why you're using the **** Batman line as some terrible slight. The line in the trailer had no context behind it and the reaction from people was to mock Robin for saying it, not that Batman was an *******.

Why does this 1 time they protested, not even stopped, a director from making a joke about him outweigh the times they ok'd him looking bad? Even if Titans portrayed him in a sympathetic light it doesn't matter because a lot of people who saw the 1st trailer haven't watched the show so their lasting impression of it is the **** Batman line.
    Did you read any of the reactions to that trailer? It wasn't Batman they were complaining about when it dropped.

Batman's my favorite character so naturally I talk about him more than anyone else, plus he gets far more hate than anyone else so coming to their defense wouldn't be necessary. You however do not like him so I'm confused as to why you're always in threads about him. You'll never see me in threads about characters I don't like, I just ignore them, it's actually pretty easy.
    I never said I didn't like Batman and frankly, I'm getting really annoyed by you making assumptions about me. This is a thread discussing DC characters in general, not a Batman thread. It would be like me asking you why you post in the DCEU thread seeing as how Batman appears to be the only DC character you like.

You assume wrong.

Like how you downplay the way DC treats anyone who isn't Batman.

I don't know why you're using the **** Batman line as some terrible slight. The line in the trailer had no context behind it and the reaction from people was to mock Robin for saying it, not that Batman was an *******.

Did you read any of the reactions to that trailer? It wasn't Batman they were complaining about when it dropped.

I never said I didn't like Batman and frankly, I'm getting really annoyed by you making assumptions about me. This is a thread discussing DC characters in general, not a Batman thread. It would be like me asking you why you post in the DCEU thread seeing as how Batman appears to be the only DC character you like.
    I don't even talk about how DC treats other characters so what are you talking about? I've never once said DC treats others perfectly and Batman poorly. Since my interests are mostly Batman related that's who I talk about most of the time. You've never heard me say DC's poor treatment of XYZ is good or Batman should get preferential treatment, I don't know where you got that idea from.

The **** Batman line was DC's way of trying to make Dick look cool and edgy, the verbal equivalent of every new brick beating up Superman to establish how strong they are. If I'm a casual superhero fan who never watched Titans and only saw the trailer aka the majority of people I'd think the show had a anti Batman vibe to it. Yeah people mocked Dick cursing and seeming like an edgelord but if DC is allegedly as overprotective of Batman as you think why would they let that line in the trailer?

Well, do you like Batman? When posting about Batman you always take the opposing side, if people are saying he's overpushed or makes others look bad you agree. If someone comes into the thread disagreeing and defending him you pop up to say he has it easy, essentially saying his fans have no right to complain. You bring up his fans hating Batfamily members if anyone says he gets a lot of hate, which he clearly does and you refuse to even admit it. Your behavior indicates a dislike of him so why are you shocked I'd think you don't like him?

This thread is about Batman and DC characters but since he's being singled out it's more about him and DC's perceived bias towards him than anyone else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Batman is the butt of a lot of jokes on the Harley Quinn series. That's great series.
    It really is. Eagerly awaiting the next season.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.