Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I'm not familiar with in house dc development environment...

Your seriously telling me with all the books that have come out and are coming out that dc isnt developing artists and writers in house?
    We know that's probably on the backburner if it's at all a priority right now. Too much staff has been lost in mass firings by higher ups and they haven't hired new people to replace those losses. So they are currently left with a skeleton crew trying to hold together the company. But Didio era DC was never really good at developing talent since he was more prone to alienating hires.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    But aren't all companies like that with their top characters? I guarantee you Disney wouldn't want a similar comment being made about Mickey Mouse and Marvel about Spider-Man.
    As pointed out by Gunn, the jokes at the expense of other DC heroes didn't raise any eye brows. It was only when they noticed an insult flung in Batman's direction that DC took umbrage and he had to convince them to let it slide.

Although Peacemaker's choice of language continues the R-rated humor seen in The Suicide Squad movie, the insults used for Aquaman and Superman took a different approach. When asked why DC objected to the Batman insult and not the others, Gunn said, "I don't know. You’d have to ask them. I don't know why him calling Batman a p---y is potentially more offensive than him saying Superman [has a poop fetish]. I don't understand why one was brought up and one wasn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Disney said okay to Luke Skywalker the lonely old hobo who abandoned his friends and tries to kill his students
    It is worth noting that the studio clearly did respond to TLJ's take on the characters after the fact, however, which is why Rise of Skywalker was a soulless, heavily focus grouped "love letter to the fans" that basically went out of its way to try and answer every single complaint people had about the previous movie in an almost checklist like fashion. And since then none of the new Star Wars stuff, while fun, has taken nearly as big a swing with the lore or characters. So even though they let Johnson go through with it at the time, that sort of leeway is likely not gonna happen again with the characters anytime soon.

Notice that Johnson's trilogy he was supposed to do after the end of the Skywalker Saga was quietly dropped as well. This is not even remotely defending WB or nonsense like objecting to Batman being called a (or eating some) pussy. But Disney is definitely protective.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    It’s almost comical how they try to shoehorn Batman into everything. But the jokes on them I feel that Batman is in danger of being over exposed. I think it’s because WB has always positioned itself as the edgy alternative to Disney (even going back to the old Looney toons days) Batman fits better into how WB views itself. It’s why WB keep trying to recast it’s heroes into Batman’s mold with mixed results.
    That's how golden boys are treated. You shoehorn them into everything cause you see them as your bread and butter. May not be right on a certain creative level, but it's just how it works.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I still am kind of blown away by this. I can't believe I never noticed this before but it's so true lol
    Odd since wasn't Marvel originally the edgier comic publisher?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The issue is the fact that Batman is "protected" in a way that no other character is. He gets most of the books and yet no one is allowed to criticize him in the same way they can other characters.
    They did the same thing in Harley Quinn where they apparently didn't let him go down on Catwoman because he's a 'hero'. It ended up backfiring since once that got leaked onto the internet since Batman became the brunt of the joke on social media as a guy who doesn't pleasure his lovers lol. Funny situation where their attempt to protect him made everyone clown on him for a few days smh

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Talent development sucks. What happened to all the people from Snyder's workshops? Where's the recruiting going on aside from occasionally poaching Image/Top Cow people? Tom Taylor is the only talent they've developed from obscurity in 20 years and hung onto.

They need to be pulling talent from Kickstarter books and get those people into 15 year relationships, not managing comics like a movie studio.
    The MAIN issue with Snyder's workshop was EVERYONE already had experience and other gigs.

Here are some of his former students...

Vita Ayala. They have done 32 writing gigs at DC. Nubia & The Amazons and Static are the only minis. Not one ongoing.
    Meanwhile Vita has done Ongoings for Valiant to acclaim with Livewire and 83 gigs at Marvel with New Mutant, Shuri, Morbius and others.

Tony Patrick Only work he has done is with Duke Thomas and nothing since.
    Desiree Proctor works for DISNEY.
    Magdalene Visaggio just had a tv series on SyFI and I think another one of her books got optioned.
    Owl Goingback (if this is HIM) is doing novels and is 62 years old.
    Sanya Anwar-is doing Dr Who last I checked.
    Robert Jeffrey II-Indy work, gaming and animation. Outside of Talent Showcase 2017-has done NO work for DC.
    Hena Khan-no work for DC beyond Talent Showcase
    Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Joelle Jones
    Michael McMillian
    Joey Esposito-works for Paramount +
    https://joeyesposito.com/2017/12/13/...hat-i-learned/

The majority of these folks did not get work from DC but from other companies.
    And if they did guess who got them? BATMAN.

Your seriously telling me with all the books that have come out and are coming out that dc isnt developing artists and writers in house?
    Generally it is the job of the editor-assistant editor to look for new talent (at least that is why Disney asks of their editors in job posting). Depending on the editor and editor in chief folks get hired.

You get a crappy editor or one that does not SEARCH-you get some of the antics we see here Dc and Marvel.
    See Green Lantern Mosaic, DC You Cyborg, New 52 Static. McDuffie's JLA run, Black Lightning 1995.
    Or you hear SILLY comments like this (there are no black writers in comics... yes a Marvel editor said that. Hudlin, McDuffie and Kevin Grevioux were doing books at Marvel at that time.

You don't have that talent house because what books are they doing to do that FANS and STORE OWNERS won't throw a fit about?

That is another issue. For as many who throw fits about Scott Lodbell-yet will blow off a new person? Who will go elsewhere to create something called The Walking Dead and Invincible. Or take a DC pitch and make it a Marvel book like Wasp?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Odd since wasn't Marvel originally the edgier comic publisher?
    Ah yes I remember those days when people would praise Marvel for being darker and edgier while DC was too goofy.

And now.....people are praising Marvel for being goofy and DC being edgy.

Not edgy. Marvel was praised for feeling more "real" taking place in real cities and having real troubles and a teen main hero who are not sidekicks while dc had not real cities much and 60s stuff like space apes and jla turning to trees.

Ironic thing is marvel had that also at times like the red ghosts space apes in fantastic four.

Dark and edgy was more a late 80s thing with frank millers daredevil and punisher.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The MAIN issue with Snyder's workshop was EVERYONE already had experience and other gigs.

Vita Ayala. They have done 32 writing gigs at DC. Nubia & The Amazons and Static are the only minis. Not one ongoing.
    Meanwhile Vita has done Ongoings for Valiant to acclaim with Livewire and 83 gigs at Marvel with New Mutant, Shuri, Morbius and others.

Magdalene Visaggio just had a tv series on SyFI and I think another one of her books got optioned.
    Robert Jeffrey II-Indy work, gaming and animation. Outside of Talent Showcase 2017-has done NO work for DC.
    Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Joelle Jones
    Michael McMillian

Generally it is the job of the editor-assistant editor to look for new talent (at least that is why Disney asks of their editors in job posting). Depending on the editor and editor in chief folks get hired.

You get a crappy editor or one that does not SEARCH-you get some of the antics we see here Dc and Marvel.
    See Green Lantern Mosaic, DC You Cyborg, New 52 Static. McDuffie's JLA run, Black Lightning 1995.
    Or you hear SILLY comments like this (there are no black writers in comics... yes a Marvel editor said that. Hudlin, McDuffie and Kevin Grevioux were doing books at Marvel at that time.

You don't have that talent house because what books are they doing to do that FANS and STORE OWNERS won't throw a fit about?

That is another issue. For as many who throw fits about Scott Lodbell-yet will blow off a new person? Who will go elsewhere to create something called The Walking Dead and Invincible. Or take a DC pitch and make it a Marvel book like Wasp?
    Two issues here, both valid.

1. DC wasn't looking for unknowns with the workshop. They should have been.

2. They failed to give graduates of the workshop any leg up in getting steady work.

The two points together made the workshops pointless.

Like I said, they should be camped on Kickstarter for a new batch of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As pointed out by Gunn, the jokes at the expense of other DC heroes didn't raise any eye brows. It was only when they noticed an insult flung in Batman's direction that DC took umbrage and he had to convince them to let it slide.
    Yes which is why I specifically singled out top characters, not just characters in general. It's why Disney is extremely selective on how Mickey Mouse is used but less so with everyone else. I doubt Disney and Marvel would like it if Deadpool called Spider-Man a pussy in his next movie but they'd likely be ok with jokes about their other heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Yes which is why I specifically singled out top characters, not just characters in general. It's why Disney is extremely selective on how Mickey Mouse is used but less so with everyone else. I doubt Disney and Marvel would like it if Deadpool called Spider-Man a pussy in his next movie but they'd likely be ok with jokes about their other heroes.
    Superman is a top character and they were fine with Peacemaker mocking him.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I wonder if this is how fans felt about Superman when he was top dog?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Joelle Jones
    Michael McMillian

Again I got no knowledge of DC inner workings.

But

How is it that the Infinite Frontier era seems to have so many great lines right now, loads of awesome minis to follow and black Label...

Maybe they were top heavy before... what ever they are doing now at the very least is producing more books then I can afford to buy or time to read. Which is great. Loads of quality books... only author I've started to steer clear of is Bendis and I wouldn't even say his stuff is bad... just so much other stuff more compelling for me to read.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I wonder if this is how fans felt about Superman when he was top dog?
    I don't think even Superman was treated like Batman is when he was top dog.