Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'd base her origins on Julia's: while still a toddler Donna went sailing with her parents on the Ionian Sea but fell overboard due to a sudden storm and was rescued from drowning by Thetis who put her on Themyscira where she was found by teenage Diana.
    I like the simplicity of your origin, Psy-lock. A superhero origin used to read in five or six panels ..and half a page, at the most. I'm sick of origins that take two, standard-length comic issues to roll out! I'm sick of novelists saddling us, with these ridiculously complex and drawn-out origin tales.

An ancient, Amazon enchantment carried infant Donna to Paradise Island, from a disaster, at sea, that wiped out her mortal family...a shipwreck! A young princess Diana found her on the beaches of Themiscyra and carried the babe to Queen Hippolyta, who raised her amongst the Amazons, as her own daughter. After Amazons scientists endowed her with powers, similar to Diana's ..and learning all of the skills and knowledge of her warrior-sisters, Donna followed her big sister, back into Man's World...

As WONDER GIRL!!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-08-2022 at 04:50 AM. Reason: style
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I would keep it as simple as straightforward as possible. Origins are jumping off points, it doesn't need every single element packed into it and ideally every origin should be as simple to sum up in 4 panels like how Morrison summed up Superman's in ASS: 'Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple. Superman'.

The main ingredients for Donna Troy's backstory are: Infant In Peril. Rescued By Wonder Woman. Adopted by the Amazons. Raised by Hippolyta. Went to Man's World To Assist Wonder Woman, Find Her Real Parents And Meet More Kids Her Age.

The only thing that really needs to change is how she was rescued by Diana and taking a page out of JL's Arisia's origin, I would have her be a victim of a ship wreck as an infant and left floating on a piece of wreckage with her mom, who managed to swim close enough to the waters of Themyscira. A teenage Diana was on the outskirts of Themyscira practicing her flying when she noticed Donna in the sea. However, by the time she got there, Donna's mom was dead but Donna was still alive. She rescues Donna and takes her back to Paradise Island. Hippolyta agrees to adopt Donna and she is raised by the Amazons. Years later, she left for Man's World sometime after Diana did to assist her in her quest and also to find her biological family.

In order to adapt this to the current Rebirth origin, I would have it so that the Dark Angel (evil alternate universe Donna Troy) curse her with multiple conflicting origins. Plus, I would have it so Donna broke the rule by leaving Paradise Island and was later cursed by the Dark Angel so everybody forgot her existence and when they met her, they were only remembering alternate versions from different continuities.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Basically keep her pre-Crisis origin, except have it so Aphrodite is the one who rescues her from the fire. She leaves Donna in Hippolyta's bedchambers and Hippolyta takes Donna as her own. Diana is an adolescent when this happens.

Later Donna leaves Paradise Island at around age 13 when Diana is in her second year as Wonder Woman and becomes Wonder Girl.

I posted ideas for Donnas origin long ago, maybe even before these boards, but mine is complex and combines and makes reference to a number of her origins. In my cannon, Donna is the Diana of another earth.

Hippolyta, in the year follow Diana’s departure busies herself with projects to advance the island both to distract the Amazons from the loss of their princess but also to distract herself from the loss of her daughter. But her grief was strong, as was the grief of all of the Amazons

For years Hippolyta kept a mirror in her private chambers that allows her to communicate with her various iterations of herself throughout the multiverse.

One Hippolyta, the President Lydia Troy (or something like that) of Earth 7(which in my cannon is set in the late 90s early 2000s) sends a dire message through the mirror. Her mortal enemy Dark Angel has escaped her prison and has waged war on her country. Fearing for her daughter’s life, she begs Hippolyta to save her daughter who is trapped inside presidential mansion where Dark Angel and her forces have invaded.

Hippolyta dons her magical armor, the ageis, and the spear of Athena and using Sandals of Hermes transports herself through the mirror to earth 7. She finds herself standing outside what appears to us to be the White House on fire. When she enters she finds a 12 year old Donna surrounded by the unconscious bodies of What seems to be the adult soldiers of Dark Angel. An enraged Donna and Dark Angel appear to be in a stand-off. Donna has a sword to the neck of a boy her while, Dark Angel stands frozen and angry over the body of Lydia Troy (Earth 7 Hippolyta) Hippolyta hears Donna threaten to take the life of Dark Angels son for what she has done.

Hippolyta appeals to Donna to drop the sword and let the boy go. She says she knows for a fact her mother would not want her to take this boys life out of revenge. Donna confused for a moment, only sees her mothers face in Hippolyta and drops the sword. As Dark Angel goes to strike, Hippolyta launches the Spear of Athena striking Dark angel in the should and then proceeds to stomp the witch. Desperate to flee DA and her son (later revealed to be angle boy/man) vanish. Hippolyta hugs Donna who finally breaks down. When Donna goes to her mothers body she retrieves a silver necklace and key. She runs to the room her mother showed her she must go if she dies suddenly. Inside are Donnas braclets, and lasso amongst a number of earth 7 amazons artifacts a book of history which explains that the goddess Rhea blessed Hippolyta and Zeus with a child in exchange for thier immortality and worship after a war between the titans and olympians.

Hippolyta brings Donna to Themyscira and reveals to the Amazons the 2nd princess of the Amazons. When she is asked for her amazon name Donna chooses Troia after the surname of her parents.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

A 12 year old girl named Donna Troy manifests her metagene and develops super strength and, being a fan of Wonder Woman, adopts the name "Wonder Girl". One of the criminals she catches finds out her real name and kills her parents out of revenge. The real Wonder Woman takes her in as a sister and takes her back to Themyscira and she is adopted by Hypolita.
    Assassinate Putin!

Donna Troy was an ordinary teenage girl until one day she was bitten by a radioactive Wonder Woman....

Hey, you said I could take it as seriously as I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'd base her origins on Julia's: while still a toddler Donna went sailing with her parents on the Ionian Sea but fell overboard due to a sudden storm and was rescued from drowning by Thetis who put her on Themyscira where she was found by teenage Diana.
    I'm going to echo Mel Dyer that this is an excellent origin story for Donna. Only thing I'd propose as a change is to set the boat on fire, to keep that aspect of the character.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm going to echo Mel Dyer that this is an excellent origin story for Donna. Only thing I'd propose as a change is to set the boat on fire, to keep that aspect of the character.
    Not only did I burn the boat, but added Donna being from ancient Rome; so, we aren't saddled with some pointy-headed, six-issue arc, about 'reuniting her, with her parents'. Therefore, ..her parents died THOUSANDS of years ago, and the Amazons are the only family, she's ever known...period.

Yawn.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Not only did I burn the boat, but added Donna being from ancient Rome; so, we aren't saddled with some pointy-headed, six-issue arc, about 'reuniting her, with her parents'. Therefore, ..her parents died THOUSANDS of years ago, and the Amazons are the only family, she's ever known...period.

Yawn.
    I hate it.

Why? Donna doesn't feel right to me if she's someone who finds the modern world alien. Also, I liked the stuff about her looking for her parents. It was a great way to explore her past. Also It's kinda required for the Titan Seed stuff to make sense... unless you're gonna go with the idea that she's been a Titan Seed for thousands of years.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I like the simplicity of your origin, Psy-lock. A superhero origin used to read in five or six panels ..and half a page, at the most. I'm sick of origins that take two, standard-length comic issues to roll out! I'm sick of novelists saddling us, with these ridiculously complex and drawn-out origin tales.

An ancient, Amazon enchantment carried infant Donna to Paradise Island, from a disaster, at sea, that wiped out her mortal family...a shipwreck! A young princess Diana found her on the beaches of Themiscyra and carried the babe to Queen Hippolyta, who raised her amongst the Amazons, as her own daughter. After Amazons scientists endowed her with powers, similar to Diana's ..and learning all of the skills and knowledge of her warrior-sisters, Donna followed her big sister, back into Man's World...

As WONDER GIRL!!
    I like it, too. Would make the perfect origin for the Debra Winger version of WG.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

As far as Donna having super-powers, I tend to think this is possible for any woman who comes to Paradise Island. It's a combination of that being a special place in the cosmos, the benefits of Amazon training and the gifts of the gods. Which means anyone--not just Diana--could have become Wonder Woman in the Contest. Besides the original Amazons, other women end up on the island over the centuries and they all gain greater abilities and longer life.

Make her the new identity adopted by Rrara the alien chameleon girl from planet chameleon~

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I hate it.

Why? Donna doesn't feel right to me if she's someone who finds the modern world alien. Also, I liked the stuff about her looking for her parents. It was a great way to explore her past. Also It's kinda required for the Titan Seed stuff to make sense... unless you're gonna go with the idea that she's been a Titan Seed for thousands of years.
    Hate it...or rather 'them'? Hate them. Hate the Titan Seeds and never understood why Donna's origin needed them.

We took a superheroine, who began her life, as a baby, ..rescued from a burning building, by Wonder Woman, ..and taken to a magic island, full of superwomen, where she was raised, as her sister, and given her own Wonder-powers...

And decided, "TITAN SEEDS! That's what this story needs! Space trolls and..."

I think the Titan Seeds and the addition of space elements makes Donna's story, too much like Starfire's or Green Lantern's. I think the Titan Seeds are just a ripoff of the GL Corps. The Teen Titans have one space hero, and I don't see why they need two. I've never understood why that was necessary.

I don't mean to rave, but, I've never liked what the Titan Seeds brought to Donna's backstory. I've tried to.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I like it, too. Would make the perfect origin for the Debra Winger version of WG.
    Thank you, Phonogram! Big Drusilla fan, over here!

You could argue that Donna's backstory needs Romans, as much as it needs Titan Seeds, and you'd probably be right. Just the same, I like the Wonderverse having a Roman connection and wouldn't mind, if it was Donna
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-11-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Some time ago Circe betrayed the trust of the Amazons and as revenge Hippolyta had the Amazons kidnapped her child and train the child as one of their own and that baby grew up to be...

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I would keep it as simple as straightforward as possible. Origins are jumping off points, it doesn't need every single element packed into it and ideally every origin should be as simple to sum up in 4 panels like how Morrison summed up Superman's in ASS: 'Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple. Superman'.

The main ingredients for Donna Troy's backstory are: Infant In Peril. Rescued By Wonder Woman. Adopted by the Amazons. Raised by Hippolyta. Went to Man's World To Assist Wonder Woman, Find Her Real Parents And Meet More Kids Her Age.

The only thing that really needs to change is how she was rescued by Diana and taking a page out of JL's Arisia's origin, I would have her be a victim of a ship wreck as an infant and left floating on a piece of wreckage with her mom, who managed to swim close enough to the waters of Themyscira. A teenage Diana was on the outskirts of Themyscira practicing her flying when she noticed Donna in the sea. However, by the time she got there, Donna's mom was dead but Donna was still alive. She rescues Donna and takes her back to Paradise Island. Hippolyta agrees to adopt Donna and she is raised by the Amazons. Years later, she left for Man's World sometime after Diana did to assist her in her quest and also to find her biological family.

In order to adapt this to the current Rebirth origin, I would have it so that the Dark Angel (evil alternate universe Donna Troy) curse her with multiple conflicting origins. Plus, I would have it so Donna broke the rule by leaving Paradise Island and was later cursed by the Dark Angel so everybody forgot her existence and when they met her, they were only remembering alternate versions from different continuities.
    To add to this, I would have Donna's powers come from Diana herself who gave her a small piece of her life span in order to save Donna from a deadly disease that might have otherwise killed her.