Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Hate it...or rather 'them'? Hate them. Hate the Titan Seeds and never understood why Donna's origin needed them.

We took a superheroine, who began her life, as a baby, ..rescued from a burning building, by Wonder Woman, ..and taken to a magic island, full of superwomen, where she was raised, as her sister, and given her own Wonder-powers...

And decided, "TITAN SEEDS! That's what this story needs! Space trolls and..."

I think the Titan Seeds and the addition of space elements makes Donna's story, too much like Starfire's or Green Lantern's. I think the Titan Seeds are just a ripoff of the GL Corps. The Teen Titans have one space hero, and I don't see why they need two. I've never understood why that was necessary.
    I'm really not even sure about what you're talking about with some of this... Green Lanterns? What does THAT have in common with Titan Seeds?
    I don't mean to rave, but, I've never liked what the Titan Seeds brought to Donna's backstory. I've tried to.
    In contrast, I like what The Titan Seed thing changed! Donna's original origin was STUPID. Time displaced copy of Wonder Woman? Not even a real character origin. It's a plot hook for a story, and not an actual character origin. But people apparently liked it so much the writers over-used the idea to the point of absurdity. Donna Troy, as an 18 or so year old young woman... can't logically be WW's younger self. That just doesn't make sense. so it then gets shifted to temporal doppleganger... and... other stuff. The idea of Donna being some.. random kid who ended up in Themiscyra is ok-ish, but.... Much like with Drusilla, it's... kinda boring. Not something that makes it a bad character idea, just.. not a great one either.
    Thank you, Phonogram! Big Drusilla fan, over here!
    Wasn't the original Drusilla just a random Amazon?
    You could argue that Donna's backstory needs Romans,
    why? Why Romans?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I'm really not even sure about what you're talking about with some of this... Green Lanterns? What does THAT have in common with Titan Seeds?
    In contrast, I like what The Titan Seed thing changed! Donna's original origin was STUPID. Time displaced copy of Wonder Woman? Not even a real character origin. It's a plot hook for a story, and not an actual character origin. But people apparently liked it so much the writers over-used the idea to the point of absurdity. Donna Troy, as an 18 or so year old young woman... can't logically be WW's younger self. That just doesn't make sense. so it then gets shifted to temporal doppleganger... and... other stuff. The idea of Donna being some.. random kid who ended up in Themiscyra is ok-ish, but.... Much like with Drusilla, it's... kinda boring. Not something that makes it a bad character idea, just.. not a great one either.
    Wasn't the original Drusilla just a random Amazon?
    why? Why Romans?
    I just thought the Titan Seeds were too much.

I think it's WAY too much, like a poor man's GL Corps, ..an association Donna doesn't need, because she's an Amazon AND a Teen/New Titan. Donna's original story and WG's are two different matters, by the way. Donna's original story has her rescued from a burning building, by Wonder Woman, and raised/trained by Amazons. Wonder Girl, comparatively, began, as a time-displaced doppelganger of Diana's - a younger Diana, from an alternate past. While you find, Donna's original origin, boring, some of your fellow Kangaliers favor its simplicity - a classic superhero origin story, you can tell in five or six panels.

There's no wrong, right or better, here. We have a difference of taste, where Donna's origin is concerned, ..and that's allowed, here.

The original Drusilla was blond and the Royal Messenger ..and FAB-ulous. She is one of many examples of rich, well-developed supporting characters, left by the narrative roadside and ignored by WW writers, who should be rounding out a CLASSIC cast, on this comic, in 2022.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-14-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the 'Titan Seed' origin.

Donna already has a connection to something fantastical through the Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    ...why? Why Romans?
    The idea of Donna linking the current mythos to the Roman gods, rather than some persistently irrelevant Titans, ..isn't so terrible. https://wondabunga.blogspot.com/2022...appalling.html

A-aand...there's Janus.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-15-2022 at 04:11 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Donna isn't actually from Themyscira... she's from Ohio and she saw a movie about Diana and then was hit on the head and had amnesia.
    These things do happen.
    She now thinks she is an Amazon, but only sometimes, and she can't keep her story straight; sometimes her new "Wonder Girl" personality takes over and she's able to do incredible feats because, ya know, where "there's a will there's a way" and "all you really need to do is believe in yourself."
    And at other times she wakes up, wondering how she got these bruises, and goes to school/work.

I’ve amalgamated a version that includes Donna’s original origin, being saved by Diana and brought to Paradise Island, but still includes Diana, Hippolyta and Dark Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskana View Post
    Donna isn't actually from Themyscira... she's from Ohio and she saw a movie about Diana and then was hit on the head and had amnesia.
    These things do happen.
    She now thinks she is an Amazon, but only sometimes, and she can't keep her story straight; sometimes her new "Wonder Girl" personality takes over and she's able to do incredible feats because, ya know, where "there's a will there's a way" and "all you really need to do is believe in yourself."
    And at other times she wakes up, wondering how she got these bruises, and goes to school/work.
    Donna Troy with split personality could work maybe with each personality comes with a different power also could be a curse from some magical deity.

Donna is the Daughter of Jason Troy Diana's Twin brother saved by Diana as a child when her father went missing in battle against Grail.Donna was taken to Themyscira were she was trained by the Amazons later she left the island to form the Teen Titans .

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Donna Troy with split personality could work maybe with each personality comes with a different power also could be a curse from some magical deity.
    Hmmmm or take the cosmic anomaly route and have her swap minds with alternate realities?

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Donna is the Daughter of Jason Troy Diana's Twin brother saved by Diana as a child when her father went missing in battle against Grail.Donna was taken to Themyscira were she was trained by the Amazons later she left the island to form the Teen Titans .
    That's cool! Having Donna be the daughter of an alternate-u Jason, fallen or lost in battle, solves problems, ..but, who is Donna's mother? You say Donna was "taken to Themyscira" - maybe, General Darnell has a sister? Does Miss America have a daughter?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-23-2022 at 08:15 PM.

Grail should be her Mother.

It seems like the main contention point about her origin is whether one thinks she should come from ordinary roots or from fantastical ones. I lean towards the former as it makes Donna more of a relatable audience pov character into the world of the Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It seems like the main contention point about her origin is whether one thinks she should come from ordinary roots or from fantastical ones. I lean towards the former as it makes Donna more of a relatable audience pov character into the world of the Amazons.
    Making her the daughter of alternate Prince Jason and a mortal could be used to tie Donna closer to Diana. Do you imagine her mother, as some prominent woman, among the recurring Wonderverse characters? I know that's problematic, because the WW comic has been allowed to go so long, like since the George Perez 80s or the Zero Hour crossover event, ..without a regular, supporting cast.

Truthfully, ..I can't think of any. Who do we have: Artemis, Miss America, Helena Kosmatos, Queen Desira? I can't think of one woman, who could be Donna's human mom.

Hey! Grail's got shiny, blue-black hair, like Donna's. Of course, that would make Donna Troy, Darkseid's granddaughter.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-24-2022 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    What makes Diana relatable is that she had to overcome great sadness and insecurity. Personally, I don't think making her an orphan made her reatable, specially since the rest of her life was spent on a Paradise with wonderful people.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What makes Diana relatable is that she had to overcome great sadness and insecurity. Personally, I don't think making her an orphan made her reatable, specially since the rest of her life was spent on a Paradise with wonderful people.
    Being an orphan is still more relatable than being an artificially created construct or reincarnation of multiple dopplegangers from across the multiverse. She's still going to have a lot of sadness and insecurity to overcome, especially if she remembers her original parents.

Also, we've long moved past the point of Themyscira being a paradise.