Page 20 of 229 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    While Miles has never sold as well as Peter, he has stuck around because he does sell, for October 2021 Miles's book sold better than Nightwing and Robin.
    Occasionally. December 2021 he wasn't even in the Top 50. Jace had a dip in sales, but he was outselling both Nightwing and Robin not too long ago. With the promotion and speculation from moving to New York, who knows what could happen next? Jon's definitely the best seller of his trio, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People like messed up characters with short haircuts?

It gives me the impression that the solo books will continue uninterrupted until a certain point.
    Surely some time has passed in universe since her last appearance? Seems odd to me that she still has that crewcut, instead of a longer pixie style. She shaved it off in a fit of insanity, doesn't seem like she'd keep it that way forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Out of all the alternate Earths to showcase, they picked the one I’m least interested in LOL.
    Plus it feels wrong to have the CWverse take the Earth Prime name.
    The comics Earth-0 is known as Prime-Earth. Earth-Prime isn't the same name.

Yeah, but not in comics canon. The Earth-1 from the show was never supposed to be the same as the comics one. Now it seems in the Multiversity map in the comics, the CWverse are taking the Prime name that used to mean a completely different concept.
    Yeah, the Arrowverse's multiverse includes all of the live action TV and movies. The comics multiverse is separate. It's not like Marvel's multiverse where it's all one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Surely some time has passed in universe since her last appearance? Seems odd to me that she still has that crewcut, instead of a longer pixie style. She shaved it off in a fit of insanity, doesn't seem like she'd keep it that way forever.

The comics Earth-0 is known as Prime-Earth. Earth-Prime isn't the same name.

Yeah, the Arrowverse's multiverse includes all of the live action TV and movies. The comics multiverse is separate. It's not like Marvel's multiverse where it's all one.
    Yeah but just wait if the Earth-Prime series does well, then they'll say the Arrowverse is beyond the multiverse in the omniverse or something.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Doesn’t really matter. Miles has never been as strong a seller as Peter in any medium but he gets to stick around for diversity’s sake. Jace came out of 5G, which the higher ups at WB wanted, and was created with the aim of being adapted. Down the road there will likely be a Jace Fox movie or MAX show and that’s what will really establish him as a character. Besides his sales are pretty decent for DC right now, last I checked he outsold characters like Diana and Clark in their main books, and he sold better than Wally’s return to being Flash.
    I am sure Sony & Marvel don't see him as that. Not with that Oscar for Into The Spiderverse.

And Miles Morales doesn't seem to have trouble with trade sales. Trades sales that equal to or do better than some of Peter's books. At times he has beaten everyone at DC not named Batman or Harley in that as well. Especially among teen readers.

I guess we forget he does have a New York Times best seller by Jason Reynolds under his belt as well.

He is not there for diversity-he is around because he can carry his OWN weight. He didn't take over mainstream Peter's book.

A diversity hire does not have his 10th anniversary acknowledge and posted on various books.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    While Miles has never sold as well as Peter, he has stuck around because he does sell, for October 2021 Miles's book sold better than Nightwing and Robin.
    Mayday Parker also sold well, she had the longest solo running female Marvel ongoing without any gimmick relaunches last I checked. Marvel still went out of their way to sabotage her book at every opportunity. Miles meanwhile has always been heavily pushed, mainly because of Bendis being a super star. I’m not saying Miles hasn’t sold well, although there have been times where he’s sold very poorly, but Miles has never been in any serious danger of cancellation the way other Spiders like Kaine, Mayday, Miguel, etc have. Current success of Miles is actually a good place to look to as an example of what WB/DC might have in mind for Jace. Before ITSV and his appearance in the Insomniac Spidey games, Miles was a mediocre to poor seller. After getting adapted? His sales started to rise as more people learned about him. Likewise Val-Zod was a poor seller and has been tossed into Limbo aside from a cameo in Superman Blue & Red, but now is likely going to get another chance thanks to MBJ’ MAX series. Jace’s real break it or make it moment will come when WB tries to make a black Batman project and we see how people respond.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Miles has also sold well in collected form, as well as digitally, something Mayday didn't have the benefit of as digital comics weren't really a thing back then.

Saying Miles is only around because of diversity is very short sighted.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Yeah, but not in comics canon. The Earth-1from the show was never supposed to be the same as the comics one. Now it seems in the Multiversity map in the comics, the CWverse are taking the Prime name that used to mean a completely different concept.
    I really doubt that. It's well-established as being in its own multiverse, so yes, it's part of the larger omniverse, but I really doubt that it's going to be THAT Earth-Prime.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Ultimate Member

Mayday Parker also sold well, she had the longest solo running female Marvel ongoing without any gimmick relaunches last I checked. Marvel still went out of their way to sabotage her book at every opportunity. Miles meanwhile has always been heavily pushed, mainly because of Bendis being a super star. I’m not saying Miles hasn’t sold well, although there have been times where he’s sold very poorly, but Miles has never been in any serious danger of cancellation the way other Spiders like Kaine, Mayday, Miguel, etc have. Current success of Miles is actually a good place to look to as an example of what WB/DC might have in mind for Jace. Before ITSV and his appearance in the Insomniac Spidey games, Miles was a mediocre to poor seller. After getting adapted? His sales started to rise as more people learned about him. Likewise Val-Zod was a poor seller and has been tossed into Limbo aside from a cameo in Superman Blue & Red, but now is likely going to get another chance thanks to MBJ’ MAX series. Jace’s real break it or make it moment will come when WB tries to make a black Batman project and we see how people respond.
    That is not exactly true.

If we look at more than just comics. The Jason Reynolds book was Amazon's top seller one day after it came out and made the New York Times Best Seller in 2017.
    Also a few of the Miles trades were doing rather fine and in some case sold out at Barnes & Nobles.

Folks knew about Miles before that movie and game.
    Before the movie 9 figures, Miles Morales Halloween costume, 10 trades and 6-12 other pieces of merchandise that he had.

Also Miles when he FIRST started-did not venture outside his book (apart from Spider-Man) his entire first volume run. So where was this heavy pushing at in 2011-2013?
    It was not until Volume 2 that we saw him on another book that was the Ultimates. Along with a run with Ultimate X-Men.

Then he moved to main Marvel. Where he had his book (2016) and a role in Avengers. and later Champions.
    The most we seen Miles as a lead in a book was 3-his book, Champions and 2 minis ITSV and Absolute Carnages.

While he will have 5 trades/novels come out this year-he will be 5th in terms of material about him among the big two. With only Peter & Shuri having more.

So excluding his anniversary covers where is all this heavy promotion for Miles? It's never been there. No more to the level of others.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is not exactly true.

If we look at more than just comics. The Jason Reynolds book was Amazon's top seller one day after it came out and made the New York Times Best Seller in 2017.
    Also a few of the Miles trades were doing rather fine and in some case sold out at Barnes & Nobles.

Folks knew about Miles before that movie and game.
    Before the movie 9 figures, Miles Morales Halloween costume, 10 trades and 6-12 other pieces of merchandise that he had.

Also Miles when he FIRST started-did not venture outside his book (apart from Spider-Man) his entire first volume run. So where was this heavy pushing at in 2011-2013?
    It was not until Volume 2 that we saw him on another book that was the Ultimates. Along with a run with Ultimate X-Men.

Then he moved to main Marvel. Where he had his book (2016) and a role in Avengers. and later Champions.
    The most we seen Miles as a lead in a book was 3-his book, Champions and 2 minis ITSV and Absolute Carnages.

While he will have 5 trades/novels come out this year-he will be 5th in terms of material about him among the big two. With only Peter & Shuri having more.

So excluding his anniversary covers where is all this heavy promotion for Miles? It's never been there. No more to the level of others.
    From what I remember, Miles' Ultimate Spiderman book was the highest-selling title of all the other ultimate books, before the incursion that lead to Secret Wars.

Astonishing Member

Mayday Parker also sold well, she had the longest solo running female Marvel ongoing without any gimmick relaunches last I checked. Marvel still went out of their way to sabotage her book at every opportunity. Miles meanwhile has always been heavily pushed, mainly because of Bendis being a super star.
    I am sorry, but how is the same not true for Spider-Girl. DeFalco was also once upon a time a big shot writer at Marvel too and even its EiC once to the point that he hugged up FF and Thor. I don't doubt that fact was a reason Marvel allowed him to do the MC2 line and Spider-Girl.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    From what I remember, Miles' Ultimate Spiderman book was the highest-selling title of all the other ultimate books, before the incursion that lead to Secret Wars.
    I can attest that those trades were very hard to find around here. Even the hard cover version.

At least with that first run rarely did you see that book in back issue or bins for a good 2-3 years. Only books at that time were hard to find in back issue was New 52 Static (5 years after the book ended), Grifter (because so few store ordered the book) and at times Wonder Woman, I Vampire and Later issues of Batwing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I am sorry, but how is the same not true for Spider-Girl. DeFalco was also once upon a time a big shot writer at Marvel too and even its EiC once to the point that he hugged up FF and Thor. I don't doubt that fact was a reason Marvel allowed him to do the MC2 line and Spider-Girl.
    Well he was the one who helped get Fantastic Force made that was at first a rumor that he went with.

But if we are going to call out Marvel for screwing Mayday.

I don't think DC can toss stones when they wrote the book in screwing over characters like John Stewart-who somehow lost his wife and family in 2011 and just NOW someone is acknowledge his dead wife. Lets not forget he had a decent selling book that got axed in a screw job like Black Lightning, Cyborg, Static, Voodoo, Batgirl, Firestorm, Teen Titans, Wally West, JSA and the list kept growing.

At least May Parker got a long run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wonderful. So they didn’t even go over the details with the freaking creators of how this event would effect their books?

Please don’t mess up PKJ’s Superman!

I gotta agree with you and hope that DC doesn't mess up PKJ's Superman.

But without giving any spoilers on GL # 10 , the last page gives the impression that GL #11 could be the end of the 1st arc .
    Just my opinion . It could really be wrapped out with # 11 . I'm saying this since there's no solicitation for # 12 yet .
    It could also be that GL takes a break and comes back in a month or two.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Well, Wonder girl is a separate book from WW, so it's not like she replaced Diana.
    Jon is the only one who actually sort of replaced Clark on earth.
    As for Jace... Adding him to the Batman lore was sort of impossible in the first place. He's the least experienced vigilante in Gotham. He couldn't have led the batfamily, or be the main crimefighter in Gotham, and most chances are that if he interacted with other batfamily members it would have ended with him being accused of being an imposter and his short career as Batman would have ended.
    Even in his book, there was an admittance that as long as he stays in Gotham he'll always be considered an imposter (not that moving to NY could really help, but at least it solves his clashes with the batfamily and him being the Batman of NY is better than claiming he's just Batman).

And while DC could easily cancel or sideline a book that sells 30k a month (superman or WW), it's less likely that they'll do that with Batman, their only series selling over 100k. Not to mention all the other bat books with Bruce.
    Jace just can't compete with that. He's not even close.

Just an opinion here. But as long as Bruce is around , Batman will always sell really good. I imagine that Batman & family easily amount to 50% of DC's comics sales.
    I remember when Tom King was on Batman and sales started to dip some, he was forced to cut his run to just 85 issues from his planned 100-105 issues that he had planned.
    There's just so much that can be done with Bruce/Batman , the story possibilities are still endless.
    It would also work with Dick as Batman too, not as much but it would work.
    Jace as Batman has limited appeal for now anyway. Not to say that it couldn't work in the future, just not this year anyway.

I forgot how sensitive Miles fans are. My point was that Jace is going to get adapted at some point and the success of that adaption will determine whether he sticks around or not. His comics sales don’t matter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    USM was always the top seller. But the Ultimate Universe line as a whole was dead in the water by the time SW hit. They had tried rebranding the Ultimates as Miles’ team and the book tanked because it sucked. He wasn’t able to keep the Universe alive which is why they folded him into 616. Being the top seller of the Ultimate line didn’t mean much.

Edit: Went and checked his sales and by the end he was down to around 30k. Solid but not great. Post the move to 616, towards the end of Bendis’ tenure, Miles was down in the 20k range
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-24-2022 at 07:06 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/