Page 103 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 3423
    Extraordinary Member

Mark Waid pits Batman versus Robin in September
    Batman vs. Robin, along with the new Tim Drake: Robin series, appears to have taken the place of the ongoing Robin series starring Damian Wayne, which is not soliciting a new issue in September, which also follows writer Joshua Williamson's exit from that series with August's Robin #17.
    Waid also told Popverse that Batman vs. Robin isn't the only spin-off from World's Finest in the works. According to the writer, World's Finest's second story arc will also start in September and will also cross over with another new but unnamed limited series.

"They're two separate things," Waid says. "What the second arc is leading into is not on the radar yet… I can't hardly say anything, but there's something in that second arc that the payoff is, 'Oh! I didn’t realize that the payoff is part of something that I've known for a long time.'
    Last edited by Hypo; 06-17-2022 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    DC always with the good decisions. Cancel one of the few titles that's selling well.
    If you're talking about Damian's solo title, don't forget Williamson is finishing his run on it with issue #17. Who knows how well it would sell with a replacement writer.

Also, Damian will then be in the Mark Waid-written Batman vs. Robin five issue series. Who knows what DC might do with Damian after that wraps up.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How nice of you to assume the worst in people.
    That's what I was thinking.

There's plenty of reasons to not be interested in the book beyond Tim's sexuality. Creative team being first and foremost. I'm not familiar with the creators but these are the guys behind the Urban Legends stuff right? I've not heard good things about their work.

This is a problem in our efforts at representation and diversity. As a longtime fan of Tim and a LBGT ally, I want to support the book. Of course I do, and so do many others. But I won't pay for a product I don't enjoy. But if I don't buy the book, suddenly I'm a hateful bigot who doesn't like gay people? Sorry not sorry folks, but I won't pay for an overpriced comic I think is poorly done just so I can virtue signal that I support the LBGT community. I'll march, protest, donate, and vote to show my support for my gay friends and family instead. Buying a badly done comic in the name of representation serves nothing and no one.

Because I haven't read the creators' work (that I'm aware of anyway) I'll give the series a shot. I've missed Tim's solo adventures and I might enjoy what the creators do, where so many others here haven't (even though the scans I've seen look to be as poorly done as people say). Plus, I never did warm up to Steph and her not being Tim's love interest pleases me greatly. But if the book isn't good I won't stick with it. I don't do that for any of my favorite characters, and I won't do it for Tim just because he's bi. I demand more than bad representation, I demand *good* representation, and so should everyone else, otherwise we're just telling DC that we'll buy any pile of halfassed crap they throw at us as long as a rainbow flag is attached to it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-17-2022 at 08:52 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

I could care less about all the Bat drama stuff; I'm just bummed that DC and WB seem determined to not publish the JSA as an ongoing team book. And that while they can have seventy million Batgirls, evidently they can only have one version of Supergirl who ever makes it to the pages these days. Just to remind DC that at it's lowest sales point, the Power Girl solo sold more than titles like Cyborg or Blue Beetle, (Jaime) at their lowest points, yet they got multiple series, while she's got only one, and gets left out of all the Superman events, and these days, even the Crisis type stuff.

But I haven't heard of anything JSA related or PG related apart from the Black Adam tie-ins. So, not too impressed by what I've heard of DC's plans.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

There's plenty of reasons to not be interested in the book beyond Tim's sexuality. Creative team being first and foremost. I'm not familiar with the creators but these are the guys behind the Urban Legends stuff right? I've not heard good things about their work.

This is a problem in our efforts at representation and diversity. As a longtime fan of Tim and a LBGT ally, I want to support the book. Of course I do, and so do many others. But I won't pay for a product I don't enjoy. But if I don't buy the book, suddenly I'm a hateful bigot who doesn't like gay people? Sorry not sorry folks, but I won't pay for an overpriced comic I think is poorly done just so I can virtue signal that I support the LBGT community. I'll march, protest, donate, and vote to show my support for my gay friends and family instead.
    More folks offended that he is BI more than anything else and those are the comments burying those who are just not interested in the book beyond his sexuality.

Buying a badly done comic in the name of representation serves nothing and no one.
    Black Panther fans want a word. As many derogatory words they have been called the past 7 years for not supporting that book by almost EVERYONE. Including those who never read Black Panther. Static fans got a taste of it to when New 52 book got axed. We were called fake fans for not buying a trainwreck.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How nice of you to assume the worst in people.
    So what is BatmanJones suppose to ask?

While the creative team should be enough-others can't just say that without adding toxic nonsense. That is the issue.

Tim being bi has NOTHING to do with this book being good or bad.
    How much LGBTQA+ love making or afterglow have we seen in a mainstream DC book?
    Midnighter? Harley? Ivy?
    Now how about straight folks?
    Batman, Catwoman, WW, Steve Trevor, Superman, Lois, Aquaman, Mera, Conner Kent, Wonder Girl, Nightwing, Starfire, Cyborg, Variant, Luke Fox, Power Girl, Michael Holt, Michael Cray to name a few.

At worst how many DC books even BOTHER to show the private life of a hero NOT named Clark Kent?

Can't show Tim and Bernard together if Tim has to rush off to fight Riddler or Killer Crock.

But if I don't buy the book, suddenly I'm a hateful bigot who doesn't like gay people?
    It all depends on why you aren't buying the book. If you aren't buying the book because you don't like the creative team, or it doesn't sound interesting to you then no. But if your main reason for not buying it is because Tim is Bi then yeah, that's kinda bigoted.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

This is a problem in our efforts at representation and diversity. As a longtime fan of Tim and a LBGT ally, I want to support the book. Of course I do, and so do many others. But I won't pay for a product I don't enjoy. But if I don't buy the book, suddenly I'm a hateful bigot who doesn't like gay people? Sorry not sorry folks, but I won't pay for an overpriced comic I think is poorly done just so I can virtue signal that I support the LBGT community. I'll march, protest, donate, and vote to show my support for my gay friends and family instead. Buying a badly done comic in the name of representation serves nothing and no one.

Because I haven't read the creators' work (that I'm aware of anyway) I'll give the series a shot. I've missed Tim's solo adventures and I might enjoy what the creators do, where so many others here haven't (even though the scans I've seen look to be as poorly done as people say). Plus, I never did warm up to Steph and her not being Tim's love interest pleases me greatly. But if the book isn't good I won't stick with it. I don't do that for any of my favorite characters, and I won't do it for Tim just because he's bi. I demand more than bad representation, I demand *good* representation, and so should everyone else, otherwise we're just telling DC that we'll buy any pile of halfassed crap they throw at us as long as a rainbow flag is attached to it.
    You're missing out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It all depends on why you aren't buying the book. If you aren't buying the book because you don't like the creative team, or it doesn't sound interesting to you then no. But if your main reason for not buying it is because Tim is Bi then yeah, that's kinda bigoted.
    What if you didn't like the execution of his coming out story? Although I guess that guess that goes into creative teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What if you didn't like the execution of his coming out story? Although I guess that guess that goes into creative teams.
    The execution has already happened. To condemn all future stories for it is short-sighted. The writer being the one that did that execution as the writer of this would be a valid reason for concern but, as you said, that falls back onto the creative team argument.

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The execution has already happened. To condemn all future stories for it is short-sighted. The writer being the one that did that execution as the writer of this would be a valid reason for concern but, as you said, that falls back onto the creative team argument.
    Well, I don't know about "condemning" so much as it doesn't set up expectations for better (other than more page-count). But again it does probably come back to the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    More folks offended that he is BI more than anything else and those are the comments burying those who are just not interested in the book beyond his sexuality.
    Thank you. That's exactly where I was coming from. But how nice to have others assume the worst about me for reacting to all the toxic bigotry that has been so much more prevalent than complaints of storytelling which I agree with and find absolutely legit. More than a little of that bigotry has been expressed here so I don't think it was an unfair question.

And I didn't say people here do feel that way. I asked them to please tell me they don't since so many do.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I could care less about all the Bat drama stuff; I'm just bummed that DC and WB seem determined to not publish the JSA as an ongoing team book. And that while they can have seventy million Batgirls, evidently they can only have one version of Supergirl who ever makes it to the pages these days. Just to remind DC that at it's lowest sales point, the Power Girl solo sold more than titles like Cyborg or Blue Beetle, (Jaime) at their lowest points, yet they got multiple series, while she's got only one, and gets left out of all the Superman events, and these days, even the Crisis type stuff.

But I haven't heard of anything JSA related or PG related apart from the Black Adam tie-ins. So, not too impressed by what I've heard of DC's plans.
    Well of course DC is going to give Blue Beetle and Cyborg more chances, they’re their own franchises and diversify the DCU. Power Girl however is not her own franchise and doesn’t do much for diversity because there’s plenty of White female characters already getting books that are far above her (ie Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Catwoman, Harley Quinn). Power Girl seems like her hey day was in the 2000’s anyway, doubt she’d sell anything now a days.

No idea why DC hates the JSA, but I bet it has to do with them feeling it’s too similar a team to the JL and they’d rather push the JL
    Last edited by El_Gato; 06-17-2022 at 03:23 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Is it that bad? This is the only nerd site I usually frequent, and I've seen a few posts and a discussion or two from folks I'd say are probably/definitely bigoted. But the majority of what I've seen here has been "the story is badly written, badly drawn, etc etc.," with no real ire towards Tim being bi. Most of the negativity I've seen has been pointed at quality, not direction. Granted, there's a few posters who dislike Tim's orientation being changed because it changes established continuity, but that's a "respect the history" thing, not a "I hate gay people" thing. Perhaps I've just dodged the bigotry.

Black Panther fans want a word. As many derogatory words they have been called the past 7 years for not supporting that book by almost EVERYONE. Including those who never read Black Panther. Static fans got a taste of it to when New 52 book got axed. We were called fake fans for not buying a trainwreck.
    And everyone can see that's part of the problem right? I've been called a fake fan plenty of times for not buying a bad book. It's stupid.

*Not* buying a book you don't enjoy doesn't make you a bigot. But *buying* a book you don't enjoy just so you can say you support PoC or LBGT characters is just wasting your money and showing publishers you'll accept their lowest possible effort in the name of virtue signaling.

I dunno, it just seems strange to me. I won't read Superman or Nightwing if the quality isn't there. They're my two favorite superheroes (T'Challa and Thor close behind) but if DC wants my money they need to deliver a good story. Why should my standards be lower for Tim, Kate Kane, Cyborg, or anyone else? None of us should settle for less than quality storytelling, whether the character is a personal favorite, belongs to a group we want to support, or whatever. There's better ways to show our support than by buying a comic, and better things to spend our money on than bad comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You're missing out!
    That's what everyone says, and I'll happily admit she's been in some really good stories that I've greatly enjoyed. But on her own, Steph just never clicked with me and I never saw her appeal. I'm the same way with Hal Jordan, I love some of his stories but the character himself bores me to tears. Not every character is for everyone, and I guess Steph just isn't for me. /shrug. I wish her fans well and I hope Batgirls is doing right by her.

The execution has already happened. To condemn all future stories for it is short-sighted.
    To a point, sure. But usually after a full arc, you have a pretty good idea of what the creative team is capable of and what they're gonna do. The next arc can always be better, but how long do you give it before you accept that the book isn't for you? Like I said, I haven't read Urban Legends so I'm gonna give Tim's new book a chance, but the folks who read Legends and walked away thinking it was poorly done? Should they pick up Tim's book and expect a different quality from the same creators? It *is* the same creative team right? How much money are they supposed to waste on something they don't enjoy?

And I didn't say people here do feel that way. I asked them to please tell me they don't since so many do.
    I hope I didn't come across as coming at you personally, and my apologies if I did. I haven't seen a ton of straight up bigotry here, like you apparently have, but I've seen a lot of folks assuming the worst of others simply because they have different opinions, and everyone jumping to the worst possible conclusion is troubling to me. Your post just gave me an excuse to whine about it, but nothing was directed at you personally.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

To a point, sure. But usually after a full arc, you have a pretty good idea of what the creative team is capable of and what they're gonna do. The next arc can always be better, but how long do you give it before you accept that the book isn't for you? Like I said, I haven't read Urban Legends so I'm gonna give Tim's new book a chance, but the folks who read Legends and walked away thinking it was poorly done? Should they pick up Tim's book and expect a different quality from the same creators? It *is* the same creative team right? How much money are they supposed to waste on something they don't enjoy?
    That would fall under my original argument of "problems with the creative team." If you don't like he writing or the art, that's not an issue. That's understandable. But if, say, it were an artist or writer you did like but still refused to read on the sole basis that he's Bi then at that point it would fall under the bigotry umbrella.

That's what everyone says, and I'll happily admit she's been in some really good stories that I've greatly enjoyed. But on her own, Steph just never clicked with me and I never saw her appeal. I'm the same way with Hal Jordan, I love some of his stories but the character himself bores me to tears. Not every character is for everyone, and I guess Steph just isn't for me. /shrug. I wish her fans well and I hope Batgirls is doing right by her.
    Is she too Peter Parker for your tastes? Which is ironic to say when she's practically the MJ to Tim's Peter Parker...

So if TimSteph fans don't support this book because they don't like the direction then they are bigots?