Page 156 of 229 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 3423

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Prefer Starfire with Dick.
    I prefer Starfire with Cyborg

The problem with Starfire is that it's hard to include her in the Nightwing solo stories. That's why Barbara always wins. It's just far more convenient to pair up two non-powered characters from the same franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Yeah 3 jokers is sorta canon.
    I haven't seen any reference to anything in Three Jokers since it came out (thankfully, since that entire story was terrible)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm tired of characters blaming all their emotional hangups on Bruce and acting like he doesn't want the people he loves to be happy.

Of course, while the characters committing to the idea that they can be together and happy is great, it's just hard for me to invest in it knowing it never lasts one way or another.
    I think part of it is that they know they can get away with Bruce crying in front of his parent's portrait and hugging Alfred in order to get the audience to later forgive him. Kind of like Harley's "Mistah J was a monster" get out of jail free card.

You can put a lot on Bruce's back because he'll be absolved and still sell.

With Dick I think you also can get away with it because it was the first time Bruce took anyone under his wing and he was still pretty green himself, especially with processing his emotions. Once you get to Tim and Damian, though, it's far less forgivable when Bruce is written like an asshole to his kids and loved ones.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I haven't seen any reference to anything in Three Jokers since it came out (thankfully, since that entire story was terrible)
    Johns wants it to be canon I think. I wouldn't put it past him with all the Watchmen stuff he did.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The de-aging seemed to me like it was something they wanted for the animated series, and the comics later decided to follow it (probably because most people who saw the cartoon before actually reading the comic books expected it to be that way in the comic books).
    That doesn't make sense. The cartoon viewers would also expect Babs to be Batgirl, so would be disappointed to learn that she was crippled and became Oracle, and that there was NO Batgirl (that cartoon aired before Cassandra Cain existed).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Seconded. Heaven forbid that someone venture outside the Bat family of titles.
    Dick and Kory have virtually nothing in common other than they're both horny for each other. Starfire's a power fantasy, Babs is the reality.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 09-22-2022 at 04:01 AM.

Kori's an alien who looks so good that she became a supermodel. She is also, just like Wonder Woman, a warrior princess. Is it any wonder Dick fell for her back then? But he's clearly long since decided they'd be better off as friends. It shifted of course after Mirage impersonated her, and she got angry about it. It was only years later that he got together with Babs, who had been his friend since before he met Kori (in current continuity, they first met as teenagers just after she became Batgirl). There's never been any love triangle.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That doesn't make sense. The cartoon viewers would also expect Babs to be Batgirl, so would be disappointed to learn that she was crippled and became Oracle, and that there was NO Batgirl (that cartoon aired before Cassandra Cain existed).
    But Barbara HAD BEEN Batgirl in the comic books, and would/could be in flashbacks and stories set in the past.

I still think of Barbara as closer in age to Bruce than to Dick, since Dick was still in high school and Barbara would have finished grad school when she was first introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think part of it is that they know they can get away with Bruce crying in front of his parent's portrait and hugging Alfred in order to get the audience to later forgive him. Kind of like Harley's "Mistah J was a monster" get out of jail free card.

You can put a lot on Bruce's back because he'll be absolved and still sell.

With Dick I think you also can get away with it because it was the first time Bruce took anyone under his wing and he was still pretty green himself, especially with processing his emotions. Once you get to Tim and Damian, though, it's far less forgivable when Bruce is written like an asshole to his kids and loved ones.
    At least Bruce never cheated on anyone like Dick cheated on Kori with Babs. At least to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Dick and Kory have virtually nothing in common other than they're both horny for each other. Starfire's a power fantasy, Babs is the reality.
    A reality that had Dick be turned into a cheater and Babs much younger to exist? Because they weren't a natural fit per the age gap if you dig into some comics at the time there are some very odd panels where Babs expresses attraction to Dick despite him being underage at the time.

And, the gap isn't the issue per se, Ollie and Dinah I'm pretty sure are around the same years apart (?), but one being introduced as a kid and the other as an adult is the issue. And, really Babs being the reality because she's within the same direct franchise is beyond boring and if anything feels unrealistic. That's not how relationships always go in real-life, especially since I don't see Dick not keeping close relationships with his fellow Titans outside of editorial mandates.

And, at this point, I don't need Dick and Kory together, but I don't need Dick and Babs to be treated like some perfect couple when I think it actually does less to serve either of them as a long-term couple.

Babs had more chemistry with Ted Kord in that BOP run than I thought she ever had with Dick, and I'm unbiased enough to say the two have their moments. Young Justice might be the first non-comic depiction of their relationship I think worked well, and even then they have to compete with the far more interesting Dick and Zatanna (of all couples).
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

First bit of post-Dark Crisis/NYCC news, apparently the Harley Quinn creative team will change in March of 2023. Taking over will be Tini Howard with Sweeney Boo on art.

https://www.gamesradar.com/harley-qu...up-at-nycc-22/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Artist named "Sweeney Boo" drawing a Harley Quinn book. Makes absolute sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    First bit of post-Dark Crisis/NYCC news, apparently the Harley Quinn creative team will change in March of 2023. Taking over will be Tini Howard with Sweeney Boo on art.

https://www.gamesradar.com/harley-qu...up-at-nycc-22/
    How does Tini keep getting work?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    How does Tini keep getting work?
    Talent? Friends? Contacts? Charisma? Good selling numbers? All of them?
    But I asumme you dislike her work.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin