Page 208 of 229 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3423

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I feel like WW has ascended 15 times by now.
    That I remember:

-The Olympus ascended her as the Goddess of Truth at the end of Byrne's run
    -When she became the God of War during Azzarello's run

In some of the elseworlds where she isn't presented as the protagonist she also became a goddess, but I don't remember any at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    WW's ascended multiple times, but the 'godhood be the answer to all her problems' angle seems like an out of character quick fix for Diana.
    And Hippolyta just ascended so I don't see the point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Hippolyta just ascended so I don't see the point.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Hippolyta's ascension. Maybe writers are trying to see if redundancy is better than retcons?

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Hippolyta's ascension. Maybe writers are trying to see if redundancy is better than retcons?
    The Marvel way .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The irony of this news after the discussion people have been having about how much DC cares for Diana lol
    Looking at the actual details:
    Written by G. WILLOW WILSON

The gods have leveled up, and Shazam is no match for them! After Wonder Woman’s changing of sides to save her Amazon sisters, Billy must use his quickly fading wisdom of Solomon to formulate a plan to stop his world’s destruction. Little does he know a secret ally awaits him in Olympus...but how will he make it there? Sounds like a job for Wonder Girl!
    This doesn't sound like DC cares much about Diana, and i don't know how that should justify the incredible dishonest discussion about the apparently super-privileged Wonder Woman of which many problems like sexism or getting turned into a villain to prop up other characters must have just magically vanished from existence anyway.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 12-04-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Looking at the actual details:

This doesn't sound like DC cares much about Diana, and i don't know how that should justify the incredible dishonest discussion about the apparently super-privileged Wonder Woman of which many problems like sexism or getting turned into a villain to prop up other characters must have just magically vanished from existence anyway.
    I understand the skepticism even if I think we should wait to see the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    That I remember:

-The Olympus ascended her as the Goddess of Truth at the end of Byrne's run
    -When she became the God of War during Azzarello's run

In some of the elseworlds where she isn't presented as the protagonist she also became a goddess, but I don't remember any at the moment
    That depends...

If we are to take the Rucka run that follows that at face value?

Did that actually take place?

I've always leaned towards "No. They told us that it did not..."

That said, Jason surviving past the Rucka run sort of complicates how much stock we can actually put into what Rucka told us supposedly actually happened.

When Diana gets Parallaxed let me know. After all GL fans know all about DC tearing one character down to prop up someone else, happens relatively often I should say. In this case questionable writing isn't the same as character assassination and noone here has justified sexism or bad storytelling.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-05-2022 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That depends...

If we are to take the Rucka run that follows that at face value?

Did that actually take place?

I've always leaned towards "No. They told us that it did not..."

That said, Jason surviving past the Rucka run sort of complicates how much stock we can actually put into what Rucka told us supposedly actually happened.
    At this point we can't be sure that Rucka's run actually happened.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    When Diana gets Parallaxed let me know. After all GL fans know all about DC tearing one character down to prop up someone else, happens relatively often I should say. In this case questionable writing isn't the same as character assassination and noone here has justified sexism or bad storytelling.
    hal jordan has a long way to go, if he wants to take Diana's title as the one with the worst treatment overall amonmg DC's biggest names.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    hal jordan has a long way to go, if he wants to take Diana's title as the one with the worst treatment overall amonmg DC's biggest names.
    Sure thing. The guy who's constantly excluded from JL rosters for usually no other reason than how he looks like, whose actor still keeps mocking the bad movie he starred in more than a decade ago, and who is either being turned into a villain for the sake of propping up other characters, or rather consistently ignored depending on editorial whims, still has a long way to go. I'm sure Wonder Woman will be spared a lot of the aforementioned misfortunes. Tell me about the time Hal Jordan had an ongoing title but Wonder Woman didn't because I'm not sure there ever was such a time. There were plenty of times it was the other way around though. And I didn't mean for this to become a "my fave has it worse than yours" thing, but don't you think you've been exaggerating a lot here. Wonder Woman is in a very exclusive club as mentioned before.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I understand the skepticism even if I think we should wait to see the execution.
    There is always hope, but i would be a lot more optimistic if it would say something like written by Greck Rucka, because Willow Wilson has not written anything with Wonder Woman so far that i would call good instead of just outstandingly boring.

When Diana gets Parallaxed let me know.
    When Hal Jordan becomes the true evil and ridiculously written second fiddle villain behind Superman while both prop up someone else in a franchise that is unfortunately much bigger than the mainline comicbook series let me know.
    You wrote this:

They're not going to start ignoring her and pretend she doesn't exist, or turn Diana into a villain to prop up another character or steal her content to transfer it to some other "Wonder Woman".
    And only the first claim is mostly true, so far.

After all GL fans know all about DC tearing one character down to prop up someone else, happens relatively often I should say.
    Happens relatively often in the so called trinity for example, which is probably no wonder considering how they kind of started it with this trash:

In this case questionable writing isn't the same as character assassination
    Where is the line of it stopping questionable writing and becoming character assassination? Because i am willing to bet that DC crossed what you consider to be that line with Wonder Woman multiple times already.

and noone here has justified sexism or bad storytelling.
    Where am i saying that anyone did that? I am talking about ridiculous comment parts like this:

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    While other characters have dealt with toxic fans, toxic employee, racism, sexism and all sorts of discrimination.

Nowhere at DC has anyone HIRED a person to write Wonder Woman-who HATED her like Marvel does with Black Panther.

Even at her worst those writers still love and respect that character and are trying their best. Not bury her for OOC and pet projects or use her book as a stealth book like Black Panther.
    More than half of that happened with Wonder Woman already and the idea that Christopher Priest for example loves and respects Wonder Woman is just great comedy, and especially sexism was a constant in Wonder Woman's history, sadly not at all just as a theme to explore.

Wonder Woman is in a very exclusive club as mentioned before.
    Looking at Wonder Woman's history, that must be a quite shitty very exclusive club, and i am very sure that her fellow trinity members are very glad to be not just in that but also in better clubs.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 12-05-2022 at 11:08 AM.

When Hal Jordan becomes the true evil and ridiculously written second fiddle villain behind Superman while both prop up someone else in a franchise that is unfortunately much bigger than the mainline comicbook series let me know.
    A franchise that made it abundantly clear that wasn't the "real" Wonder Woman, while the real deal showed up in the first game and kicked her ass? That's very different than if the "real" WW killed Ares and took his place as the new evil god of war, while she was permanently replaced with Donna or Artemis now, would it.

You wrote this:

And only the first claim is mostly true, so far.
    What content did they steal from the "main" WW to prop up another WW meant to be her permanent replacement, while making her a villain in the process?

Happens relatively often in the so called trinity for example, which is probably no wonder considering how they kind of started it with this trash:

Prop up another legacy character that is. DC will never dump on Diana in order to prop Donna, Nubia or Yara or any Amazon should they ever decide to replace Diana on a "permanent" basis.

Where is the line of it stopping questionable writing and becoming character assassination? Because i am willing to bet that DC crossed what you consider to be that line with Wonder Woman multiple times already.
    The line where you suddenly turn the main version of a premier character into a murderous psychotic villain for the sake of shock value in order to sweep them under the rug and replace them with a more "young and hip" version because you don't like that sales were down. I'm quite sure that whatever you may feel about how DC treats Wonder Woman, this is the kind of line they wouldn't cross with her.

Looking at Wonder Woman's history, that must be a quite shitty very exclusive club, and i am very sure that her fellow trinity members are very glad to be not just in that but also in better clubs.
    Such a shitty club the likes of Hal Jordan can only dream of being in despite the fact that he was outselling two of those trinity members at one point.

Mighty Member

A franchise that made it abundantly clear that wasn't the "real" Wonder Woman, while the real deal showed up in the first game and kicked her ass? That's very different than if the "real" WW killed Ares and took his place as the new evil god of war, while she was permanently replaced with Donna or Artemis now, would it.
    I am pretty sure Flashpoint Wonder Woman for example was real.

What content did they steal from the "main" WW to prop up another WW meant to be her permanent replacement, while making her a villain in the process?
    And this is what i meant with dishonest, you are trying to use hyper-specific scenarios of a single other character to pretend like DC wouldn't have a shitty history with Wonder Woman.

Prop up another legacy character that is.
    DC had not much time for that, because they were too occupied with multi-reeboting and messing up any resemblance of a legacy for Wonder Woman.

DC will never dump on Diana in order to prop Donna, Nubia or Yara or any Amazon should they ever decide to replace Diana on a "permanent" basis.
    I am quite sure Artemis counted as an Amazon in the 1990s, and Jason was ironically also kind of an Amazon, but with Wonder Woman nothing is permanent.

The line where you suddenly turn the main version of a premier character into a murderous psychotic villain for the sake of shock value
    Well that part is definitively Flashpoint.

in order to sweep them under the rug and replace them with a more "young and hip" version because you don't like that sales were down.
    DC had better ideas like rapist Amazons who outright hate men for example, or if we want to go truly classical Karate for example.

I'm quite sure that whatever you may feel about how DC treats Wonder Woman, this is the kind of line they wouldn't cross with her.
    Nowadays i would even somewhat agree because the 2017 movie knocked with a multiple years delay some sense into their heads, but in other decades they most certainly would have done that if anyone would have thought that will work.

Such a shitty club the likes of Hal Jordan can only dream of being in despite the fact that he was outselling two of those trinity members at one point.
    Hal will become the third Trinity member to regularly prop up Superman or Batman and Wonder Woman gets an animated series, deal?
    Last edited by Rightoya; 12-05-2022 at 01:01 PM.

DC had better ideas like rapist Amazons who outright hate men for example, or if we want to go truly classical Karate for example.

This was never actually established.

I know a lot of "Classic Coke..." folks took one look at it and jumped to that unfounded conclusion, but nothing like that was ever really on the page.