Page 3 of 229 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    To be fair this is not the first time Hippolyta replaces her daughter in Justice League.
    True that...

This article makes it sound like its the Crime Syndicate coming for Waller instead of Waller going for Earth-3

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-war-fo...itans-academy/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It seems to not be happening more so because Hitch couldn’t commit to doing the book than any problems with where to go direction wise
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Was he the one with the pitch? I thought he was purely on art duties for this?

Either way, regardless of the reason, it sucks. It can't be that hard to find a purpose or pitch for the JSA can it?
    The Johns/Hitch book isn't happening because they chose to do a creator owned book instead:

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/st...68087261855745

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/st...23777119133696

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/st...28739584790530

Ram V Newsletter
    PROJECT PRESSURE is in full swing at DC. I’m working with a good friend and all-time great artist; I wish I could show you more, but I’ll wait for an official announcement to drop. The biggest thing about Project Pressure for me is that it feels a lot closer to the kind of creator-owned work I tend to do. It’s a bit more moody, a bit less concerned with causality and linearity, a bit more concerned with feel and tone and aesthetic and doing interesting things with structure and form. DC and my editors and collaborator have put a lot of trust in my ability to execute this, and I’m glad to be working on something that is a step closer to unifying my personal preoccupations with my superhero work.

I might have also just signed on to a new DC thing later in the year. It’s big and it needs a lot of thinking and note-making. I opened up a new notebook yesterday. Time to fill it all up in black and blue and red.

So basically Johns gave up the JSA for creator-owned work...and now the team is that the whim of whether there's anyone else that cares about using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So basically Johns gave up the JSA for creator-owned work...and now the team is that the whim of whether there's anyone else that cares about using them.
    I take that better then not existing for 10 years, that just means to me they ready and waiting in the wings for a creative team. I'm not trying to be an naive optimist I'm just saying knowing they exist and that there was a series in the works that didn't happen because the creative team stopped is better then "don't expect these characters ever again because we rebooted".
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I have no doubt in my mind we will get one sooner than later. The upcoming black Adam movie will put a lot of spotlight on them.

Just seems like DC will take any excuse not to spotlight/showcase the JSA, and the only one invested in them was Johns.

If you take a look at Johns creator owned work it’s all pretty clearly repurposed ideas he had for DC characters. Geiger feels like a retooled pitch for Atomic Knights for example. Guess he realized that given how precarious his situation is at WB/DC these days he better start building up stories he actually owns because they may drop him at any moment. Personally I just hope this means they’re not locking characters/teams away from anyone anymore because Johns wanted to use them but Tom King still can’t touch Sgt. Rock and I still think that’s because Johns called “dibbs”, meaning there’s still people in editorial that treat him as the golden boy
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you take a look at Johns creator owned work it’s all pretty clearly repurposed ideas he had for DC characters. Geiger feels like a retooled pitch for Atomic Knights for example. Guess he realized that given how precarious his situation is at WB/DC these days he better start building up stories he actually owns because they may drop him at any moment. Personally I just hope this means they’re not locking characters/teams away from anyone anymore because Johns wanted to use them but Tom King still can’t touch Sgt. Rock and I still think that’s because Johns called “dibbs”, meaning there’s still people in editorial that treat him as the golden boy
    Now that you mention it I wonder if Johns' creator owned work is just basically stuff he was planning to do with his new imprint that never really went anywhere.

Extraordinary Member

Just seems like DC will take any excuse not to spotlight/showcase the JSA, and the only one invested in them was Johns.
    Eh, I dunno about that - Scott Snyder mentioned on his last Word Balloon podcast that he was in discussions at one point to do a JSA book after Death Metal though it didn't end up working out, so there does seem interest from editorial but it seems they want a big name doing the book.

Also have to remember that the current DC regime is very different than the previous one as there are definitely books out now that I could not see being greenlit under Didio and Harras (Batgirls, Nubia, Wally as Flash, etc.)

Extraordinary Member

Tynion Newsletter
    Right now, I’m enamored with this whole big complicated system I’ve built. I’ve got my DC Black Label projects, my BOOM! Studios projects, my Image projects, and my Substack projects. I’m making some aggressive moves into the collectibles/merch space (you’ll find out a lot more about this very soon). I’m basically putting a mid-sized publisher’s worth of comics into the world right now, between what I’m writing myself, and what I’m overseeing under the Tiny Onion banner. And for the moment… I love it. Especially if all the moves I’ve made to get this whole system under control pan out, and I don’t have to spend my days dealing with logistics, and order fulfillment.
    He says "DC Black Label projects" - is there something else besides The Nice House on the Lake that I'm forgetting?

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

My controversial opinion: A Johns-led JSA book would have been like his Shazam title and Doomsday Clock. It would have been delayed again and again. This has been an issue with Johns for years. It really seems he has spread himself too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Eh, I dunno about that - Scott Snyder mentioned on his last Word Balloon podcast that he was in discussions at one point to do a JSA book after Death Metal though it didn't end up working out, so there does seem interest from editorial but it seems they want a big name doing the book.

Also have to remember that the current DC regime is very different than the previous one as there are definitely books out now that I could not see being greenlit under Didio and Harras (Batgirls, Nubia, Wally as Flash, etc.)
    By that metric it seems like the only "names" left are Bendis, King, and Williamson. Maybe Ram V.
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    My controversial opinion: A Johns-led JSA book would have been like his Shazam title and Doomsday Clock. It would have been delayed again and again. This has been an issue with Johns for years. It really seems he has spread himself too thin.
    I guess it takes a lot to make a TV show and write comics at the same time.

Astonishing Member

Ram V on JSA would be an interesting option, by the way.

Now that you mention it I wonder if Johns' creator owned work is just basically stuff he was planning to do with his new imprint that never really went anywhere.
    Pretty sure that’s exactly what it is. He had a robot soldier in the last issues of Geiger that struck me as a clear expy of GI Robot. Instead of doing the revamps of obscure DC characters he had planned he chose to go to Image with his ideas after the blowback from JL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Tynion Newsletter

He says "DC Black Label projects" - is there something else besides The Nice House on the Lake that I'm forgetting?
    Nothing I’ve heard of but it won’t be capes. He’s said he’s done with capes for a while in a previous newsletter, he got burned out on them. Might be another horror book.
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Is that controversial? Because I totally agree lol, I don’t think Johns can do an ongoing at this point.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/