Page 4 of 229 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty sure that’s exactly what it is. He had a robot soldier in the last issues of Geiger that struck me as a clear expy of GI Robot. Instead of doing the revamps of obscure DC characters he had planned he chose to go to Image with his ideas after the blowback from JL.
    Kind of giving me Jeff Lemire Black Hammer vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Ram V on JSA would be an interesting option, by the way.
    His vague description of potential new project that he might have signed up for ("It’s big and it needs a lot of thinking and note-making") might fit JSA.

Astonishing Member

Swerve me with The JSA of Earth 2.

Extraordinary Member

If you take a look at Johns creator owned work it’s all pretty clearly repurposed ideas he had for DC characters. Geiger feels like a retooled pitch for Atomic Knights for example. Guess he realized that given how precarious his situation is at WB/DC these days he better start building up stories he actually owns because they may drop him at any moment. Personally I just hope this means they’re not locking characters/teams away from anyone anymore because Johns wanted to use them but Tom King still can’t touch Sgt. Rock and I still think that’s because Johns called “dibbs”, meaning there’s still people in editorial that treat him as the golden boy
    I think it's less about his situation being precarious and more about the financials now that he's no longer a C-suite executive. I remember Snyder at a con mentioning that he made more on an Image book (Severed? Wytches? forget which one) than Batman and at the time Batman was selling more than 2x the amount of the Image book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I think it's less about his situation being precarious and more about the financials now that he's no longer a C-suite executive. I remember Snyder at a con mentioning that he made more on an Image book (Severed? Wytches? forget which one) than Batman and at the time Batman was selling more than 2x the amount of the Image book.
    The double-edged sword of licensed comics...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The double-edged sword of licensed comics...
    Funny thing Priest talked about this with Vampirella. He did not expect all the freedom that he was allowed on that book. It was the most freedom he ever had on a licensed book.

I remember Snyder at a con mentioning that he made more on an Image book (Severed? Wytches? forget which one) than Batman and at the time Batman was selling more than 2x the amount of the Image book.
    At Image you have to work to sell those books. You don't get extra copies based on your name like Batman. How many Image books pack bins? I know I did not see copies of Spawn or Savage Dragon for a good 7 years in stores.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    My controversial opinion: A Johns-led JSA book would have been like his Shazam title and Doomsday Clock. It would have been delayed again and again. This has been an issue with Johns for years. It really seems he has spread himself too thin.
    I'm of the same mind. Johns's DC comics work has been diminishing returns for a few years now. He's getting to play with the JSA already on TV in Stargirl, why would he and Hitch want to spend what little time they have trying to recapture the magic of Johns's old JSA run, when they could put that energy into something they own?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm of the same mind. Johns's DC comics work has been diminishing returns for a few years now. He's getting to play with the JSA already on TV in Stargirl, why would he and Hitch want to spend what little time they have trying to recapture the magic of Johns's old JSA run, when they could put that energy into something they own?
    Same reason I don’t want Waid to do Flash again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

After reading this thread, I have mixed emotions about these proposed JSA books by Johns/Hitch and Snyder. Starting off the JSA with 16+ members seems like a bit of a stretch. 10 or 12 would be a more reasonable number. Hitch's art may have soured the book for me as his female characters are much less impressive than his male characters. Snyder's portrayal of the JSA in his JLA run was mediocre at best. They didn't really do anything of importance and their personalities were rather bland. Hopefully someone with some good ideas and an A or B-list artist give us a JSA book this year. The wait has been excruciating.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would totally be down for a Ram V written JSA, after JL Dark, I think he would be a great voice for the characters. As for artists...where's Jason Fabok, Ivan Reis (how long is he on Detective) or Xermanico? Any of those would be awesome.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Same reason I don’t want Waid to do Flash again.
    Luckily, that's also the same reason Waid doesn't want to do Flash again

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I would totally be down for a Ram V written JSA, after JL Dark, I think he would be a great voice for the characters. As for artists...where's Jason Fabok, Ivan Reis (how long is he on Detective) or Xermanico? Any of those would be awesome.
    Fabok is too slow and doesn’t do ongoings. He’s doing indie work last I heard. Reis is on Tec until Shadows of the Bat ends. Dunno where Xermancio is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I really don't care anymore about who they put on the title, I just want the title

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess JSA as a team that mixes the old and new is too much like how they're trying to promote the League now. The League even has Black Adam and Hippolyta.

People are comparing Naomi to Stargirl.
    Which is hilarious as while that’s going on there is a small chance the JSA might steal a march on the JL in other media

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Swerve me with The JSA of Earth 2.
    Which Earth 2, pre-Crisis or New 52?