Page 53 of 229 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really hope the Milestone characters can find success. If the Static movie is a hit and so is that animated movie, good! I’m worried that rebooting the Milestone characters outside of the main DCU was a mistake, but if outside adaptions can attract interest then hopefully they can keep going.
    I don't think it's keeping Milestone outside the core DCU that hurt it, but bringing it to the direct market. Time are tough on new books and new characters these days, and while us old bastard fans all remember the OG, for a whole lot of people they're basically new characters. The YA OGN market seems like a friendlier place.

That said, it's certainly better for sales if Batman can swing around for a visit, so you're probably not wrong either.

And it's also possible that these books are gonna do better in trade (LCS and bookstore). There's been titles like that in recent years; Moon Girl and Ms. Marvel, among others.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Another promotion at the company

Amedeo Turturro, has been promoted from Associate Editor to Senior Associate Editor (Art Director/Project Manager) at DC Comics. An intern at DC Comics in 2010, Amedeo then went on to co-found INK, the New York School of Visual Arts' digital comics magazine, before becoming a radio producer and host. She then returned to DC Comics, becoming an Assistant Editor in 2014, an Associate Editor in 2017, and was promoted to Senior Associate Editor this month.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jobw...st-second-oni/

SECOND, you have the prestige “what-if/what-might-be” books that take after Dark Knight Returns. These are books that grab the DCU and twist it in ways you couldn’t do in every day continuity. Like DKR, these books live in a world that isn’t happening now, but maybe could happen some day, even might very probably happen someday—but we’ll very probably never reach someday in the regular monthly books. These are books that could be continuity, but aren’t yet in continuity, and most likely won’t ever be in continuity. They’re almost like a threat of continuity.

I read DKR and I think: I’m pretty sure this is what will happen to Batman in the future, but continuity will never catch up to this future, so I’m not sure that my pretty sure will ever be absolutely sure.

I haven’t written in this part of Black Label yet (though if you allow me to divide Bat/Cat, it’s where I think the future third of that book takes place). But I do have a book coming up some day in this world, and it’s immensely fun. This part of Black Label allows us to take DCU characters to limits we can’t in the main line.
    https://everlastingproductions.subst...ce=twitter&s=r
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Trying to rationalize Black Label stuff as Elseworlds .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Dear lord, this reads like a threat more than anything.

Tom King is essentially saying that Adam Strange being a war criminal, and Ice murdering Guy are like the Killing Joke in the sense that the comic isn't necessarily in continuity at the moment, but could be if any creator decides to pull the trigger.

That's...not great.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Tom King is essentially saying that Adam Strange being a war criminal, and Ice murdering Guy are like the Killing Joke in the sense that the comic isn't necessarily in continuity at the moment, but could be if any creator decides to pull the trigger.

That's...not great.
    A threat? This is nothing new when it comes to out of continuity stories that bear some trappings of continuity.

Alex Paknadel has some upcoming work at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    A threat? This is nothing new when it comes to out of continuity stories that bear some trappings of continuity.
    I hope you’re right. The JLI has been $#@+ on enough by what they’ve already done to Max Lord. I’d hate for Ice & Guy to be added to the flaming pile of dog$#!+.

Extraordinary Member

Cross it off the list:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    On his recent Word Balloon appearance Mark Russell mentioned he had an unannounced DC book that he's doing with Mike Allred.

Hells yes! This is the type of thing DC needs to do more of.

Glad to have a new Superman book at least .

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

That's...not great.
    Different strokes and I'm not at all trying to persuade anyone to feel as I do, but I don't think there's been anything coming out of DC in recent years that's been as interesting or exciting as the stuff Tom King has written for them. And his point isn't that it will become continuity. He's in Black Label for a reason--BL is not continuity, it just could be eventually. He's only saying that there is a sort of Elseworlds/BL book that comes to be part of continuity if DC/DC fans wants it to. That's not new information. Going back to The Killing Joke, that has always been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Glad to have a new Superman book at least .
    It's actually Batman, but Superman is in it for a second and they wanted to give the appearance of a Superman book so people will stop complaining about all the Batman Books.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Different strokes and I'm not at all trying to persuade anyone to feel as I do, but I don't think there's been anything coming out of DC in recent years that's been as interesting or exciting as the stuff Tom King has written for them. And his point isn't that it will become continuity. He's in Black Label for a reason--BL is not continuity, it just could be eventually. He's only saying that there is a sort of Elseworlds/BL book that comes to be part of continuity if DC/DC fans wants it to. That's not new information. Going back to The Killing Joke, that has always been the case.
    I don't doubt that Tom King is always swinging for the fences and the art on his books is amongst the absolute best being produced in the industry right now, but he's just so far up Alan Moore's ass circa '86 that he's convinced himself that the best way to do superhero comics is to depict them as morally compromised killers, which just bores me to tears and has the side effect of ruining perfectly good characters for decades to come.

Sometimes that can work out for the best, such as when Ostrander & Yale salvaged Barbara Gordon from Moore's own pretty terrible but beautifully drawn story.

However, in the case of Adam Strange, Ice & Guy, there's absolutely no long-term value in persuing these morally compromised depictions because they simply make the characters unusable in the context of the fun heroic adventure stories that is the DCU's sweet spot.

Now, again. I hope you're right and the editors and creators at DC are smart enough to understand this, but the fact that King views his work as something that could potentially be incorporated into the DCU certainly shows a complete lack of understanding on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It's actually Batman, but Superman is in it for a second and they wanted to give the appearance of a Superman book so people will stop complaining about all the Batman Books.
    So on-brand that I'm almost willing to believe it .