Page 62 of 229 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Nobody is saying they don't sell, but with a limited income it promises that only one brand will sell when you flood the market with the top selling product and also still offer the rest.

It creates a wider gap between the IP and promises that the others never grow. DC is a business, but this is short-sighted. It gets them more right now but creates further issues in the future once they tip over the saturation point that people tire of Batman-- and if you think that can't happen, they said the same of Superman back in the day and Paul Levitz had to lobby for them not to cancel Detective Comics because Batman was just not selling as much as they wanted.

It can and will happen to Bruce eventually, and if DC keeps flooding the market on Batbooks then it ensures they're well and truly fucked when it does.

Gotham is fine. Work on building up the other IP and actually create a situation where your fans can support the damn things.
    Flash has had a long-running live action series and still has only one ongoing book. Plus the occasional mini. The Flash is one of DC's top characters and is an example of a major property that gets very little push in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    With a JSA title cancelled just this year, I suppose that makes it less likely that we will see any solos, but I'd put Doctor Fate at the top of the list.
    Johns was the one who was supposed to write it. If he had it would have never published on time. See also Shazam. Just give a JSA book to someone else. You have the Stargirl show. Sheesh.
    Last edited by PennyDreadful; 04-12-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    If Marvel hears this news, they are going to have a long laugh all the long road.

Marvel: Hey, look at DC right now. Only Batbooks line right now. I can say they are no longer our problem anymore. So much suckers!!

Actually I think that Marvel wants DC to prosper some, to stay competitive at #2 .
    Because if Marvel is the only game in town, then it's bad for the comic book market overall.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Ya'll keep talking about Batman saturation, but everytime we have a list of the most selled books it always have Bat books and none of the others DC ones.
    Well lets see.....

The one franchise where every title is assured a spot on a store shelf. Even the hated Jace Fox & Duke Thomas books.
    That can't be said for everyone else. Not even Superman. Not Green Lantern (especially when Hal is NOT the lead). Not Aquaman, Not Wonder Woman. Not any title that has had a blockbuster movie or tv show.
    Batman ensured EVERYONE who WANTS a copy can get a copy.

It's not so much Batman sells. It is what he leaves behind once you get past those who bought his books.
    How big his bin, discount, clearance, grab bag and Ebay auctions versus say Superman or Wonder Woman or anyone?
    Meaning this-everyone will have access to him no matter what. I can get a Batman book and NEVER pay cover price. Because he leaves so many unsold books that can be bought at lower prices. Way more than some of the others.

It is not so much Batman sells. I would more concerned with what else is sitting in that top 10-100 with him.

What is Miles Morales doing that can't be done with Duke? And Miles is rarely attached to Peter.
    What is Shuri, Moon Girl & Riri doing that can't be done with Naomi, Vixen & Bumblebee? Or Stargirl?
    What is Priest doing with Vampirella that he couldn't do at DC with someone NOT named Deathstroke?
    Valiant is doing 4 issue arc or trades. Why can't that be done here instead of Round Robin?
    What are some of these same writers doing at OTHER companies that is NOT working here?

DC is a dying company. Doesn’t bode well for them that they can only sell Batman… I wonder how long until the publishing arm ceases to exist and WB starts licensing the characters out to other publishers… think we’re a lot closer to that reality than we think.

Also, zero interest in another Bat book
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He kept Justice League: Dark going strong and left me wanting more, and he did some interesting stuff with Swamp Thing and Catwoman so he's getting at least one issue out of me unless this is Jason Todd and Azrael kill the DC universe or something.
    I think we're safe; Mr. V is too classy to take on such a project (I hope!).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    With a JSA title cancelled just this year, I suppose that makes it less likely that we will see any solos, but I'd put Doctor Fate at the top of the list.
    What are you talking about?

The JSA project never got far enough along to be canceled.
    Was there ever anything more than a few teaser pages?

Are people really doing the "DC is dying" thing again? Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    DC is a dying company. Doesn’t bode well for them that they can only sell Batman… I wonder how long until the publishing arm ceases to exist and WB starts licensing the characters out to other publishers… think we’re a lot closer to that reality than we think.

Also, zero interest in another Bat book
    The comics division is a relatively cheap IP farm for WB/Discovery, so I think they’ll be safe for the foreseeable future. Despite DC properties trailing far behind Marvel, they still make the parent company billions of dollars. A hero created for a story arc this month could be a hit on a tv show in a few years.

I think a problem with this is that creators are going to be less inclined to use classic characters and will want to create all new characters in hopes of cashing in. The recent Titans runs have been a wash with new (disposable) characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Are people really doing the "DC is dying" thing again? Jeez.
    Feels like it gets that way the moment anyone gets a whiff of a new Bat-Book.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think we're safe; Mr. V is too classy to take on such a project (I hope!).
    I live in hope, Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What are you talking about?

The JSA project never got far enough along to be canceled.
    Was there ever anything more than a few teaser pages?
    Part of the problem seems to be creator interest. Major, of currently working professionals, which do you think would be able to deliver a satisfying run?
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

In a new geoff johns interview yesterday, he says flashpoint beyond will lead to a new wave of titles: https://www.ign.com/articles/flashpo...source=twitter

Finally, Johns hints that the fallout of Flashpoint Beyond will lead to a new wave of DC titles, some of which will build on this revamped approach to time and time travel.

"There will be books and stories that spin out of this into the greater DC Universe, some of them featuring characters that haven't been at the forefront for quite a while that I'm excited to see," Johns teases. "But it'll do it in a very focused way on this side of history and time. And that's something I've always loved with DC Universe is the vast history of it going back to the '40s with the original to Justice Society and all the way to the future with the Legion of Super Heroes. But it is a storyline that is going to explore hopefully a different facet of the DCU that we haven't seen for a while."

No wonder DC has been promoting the book extra hard..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    In a new geoff johns interview yesterday, he says flashpoint beyond will lead to a new wave of titles: https://www.ign.com/articles/flashpo...source=twitter

Finally, Johns hints that the fallout of Flashpoint Beyond will lead to a new wave of DC titles, some of which will build on this revamped approach to time and time travel.

"There will be books and stories that spin out of this into the greater DC Universe, some of them featuring characters that haven't been at the forefront for quite a while that I'm excited to see," Johns teases. "But it'll do it in a very focused way on this side of history and time. And that's something I've always loved with DC Universe is the vast history of it going back to the '40s with the original to Justice Society and all the way to the future with the Legion of Super Heroes. But it is a storyline that is going to explore hopefully a different facet of the DCU that we haven't seen for a while."

Quick! Which Bat characters haven’t had a book in a while? That’s all DC seems to know how to sell now
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

Some of the promotional material, at least to me, makes it sound like Flashpoint Beyond is more important than Dark Crisis.

I've seen more teasers from Flashpoint Beyond than Dark Crysis. Weird

I'll try not to get my hopes up for a JSA relaunch so I'm not disappointed yet again.
    At this point, even if they do it, they'll have Thomas Wayne as the lead lol