Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Master Race missionary reporting for duty.
    INGOBERNABLES de INTER-WEB

PC gamer from the 90's to early 2000's here.

First PC game played: Dune

Last: NHL 2002

In between: Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Dune 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom 2, Command and Conquer, NHL 95-01, Michael Jordan In Flight, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Age of Empires 2.

Amazing Member

I started PC games in early 90's. I think my first game was Empire. Too many games to name them all, last one I bought was X-Com with expansion from Firaxis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Thats because its an RPG that plays as a FPS, not the other way around like its sequels.
    Right, so it gives you choice but not as much choice as later games (or some earlier games actually). It's shooting mechanics aren't as good as a great FPS because it isn't an FPS, and it's RPG mechanics aren't as developed as many because it's not a full on rpg. It deserves credit for being innovative, but i'm not sure a lot of it really caught on in other games. I mean, FPS followed Half Life 2 more than Deus Ex, and the current generation of FPS RPGs are very clearly following Daggerfall which came out 4 or 5 years prior.

My favorite PC game overall is Planescape Torment, second would be Fallout 1 and 2, and my favorite Shooter is variable depending on my mood. Morrowind was friggen amazing at the time, though Skyrim is a great followup (Didn't care for Oblivion as much, too much hell world sameness). I played WoW for 6 or 7 years straight which is something no game has ever been able to do for me. And that's ignoring all the indy games we get.
    So, yay, pc!

I remember playing Civilization 2, it was a very addicting and fun game. It was the most fun I had with playing a computer game.

Back in my high school days, I won't leave my PC even for a bath o.O I was addicted to DotA then.

I started with PC gaming on Win 3.1 and still going now some 15+ years later. Didn't actually have a gaming PC till 2006 which was built for TES: Oblivion. I also own the consoles but I will always go PC first. Keyboard and mouse is still king, though I do like plugging in a controller for some games. I love my 21:9 widescreen for gaming, and also that I can still play old games whenever I want and some even get better with age through mods.

Steam is the business, I love how digital has changed the landscape from buying $120 retail(NZ $) games to $30-$50 steam keys for new games. I buy way more now than I did a couple of years back when I played a lot more games.

I'm very happy that PC gaming has had a bit of a resurrection of the last few years, and the Kickstarter gaming revolution which has also helped make PC gaming nearly as attractive a release platform as the new consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Steam is the business, I love how digital has changed the landscape from buying $120 retail(NZ $) games to $30-$50 steam keys for new games. I buy way more now than I did a couple of years back when I played a lot more games.

I'm very happy that PC gaming has had a bit of a resurrection of the last few years, and the Kickstarter gaming revolution which has also helped make PC gaming nearly as attractive a release platform as the new consoles.
    Yup. Steam & Kickstarter have changed everything it seems. Initially I was hesitant to go digital instead of having discs. But the more I think about it, over the years Ive lost many discs or some are mysteriously scratched to the point of being useless.

BANNED

PC gamer and game developer.
    My all-time favorite game was the original Neverwinter Nights and its awesome toolset.

BANNED

I guess you could say I'm a wannabe PC Gamer. I've always wanted to have a good PC, but unfortunately due to funding I have always been behind. My PC's would be good for internet usage and some games, but not all. I remember when Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines came out in like..2004. I really wanted to play it, but couldn't. I ended up not being able to try it until around 2009-2010.

Now my PC is still kind of behind. The best thing I can do is I can run Skyrim on it's highest settings pretty easily, but newer games? Nope. Though I have to say..I usually hate multiplayer games. I'm all for single player adventures. This is one of the reasons I loved Neverwinter Nights so much. It had the forgotten realms aspect, but I sometimes hated having to manage 5-6 people in a party like in Baldur's Gate, I enjoyed concentrating on just one character who could maybe hire one henchmen.

Fantastic Member

my first few PC games if i recall.. blockout, prince of persia, budokan, family feud, 4D boxing, karateka, robocop
    but what really got me hooked was wolfenstein3D
    of course the best years were still ahead, in Duke3D, Quake, C&C, RA, WarcraftII, Diablo, X-wing/TieFighter, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Interstate 76
    oddly enough i didnt get really hooked on Starcraft and Counter-strike during their heydays

these days... err.. i dunno.. i dont play PC games much already.i freaking bought games on steam but have barely put hours in the games. would one consider avengers alliance?

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

I have the first current "high end" gaming PC that I've ever had, and I've got to say it's nice not spending hours turning settings on and off to get a playable framerate on your underpowered computer. Right now, I'm playing Metro: Last Light after spending a significant amount of time on Fallout 3 and NV. They are such great games.

I never did play Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate. How do they play? Turn based RPG? Diablo esque? One of my all-time favorites was Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2. Every so many years I reinstall and play through it again. It aged very gracefully.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    I never did play Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate. How do they play? Turn based RPG? Diablo esque? .
    It's hard to describe if you've never played a dungeons and dragons video game before. I guess if you have ever played the KOTOR games it is like that..where you have stats and then you have saving throws like fortitude, reflex, will..and you can take "feats" when you level up, etc. It's not exactly like diablo, diablo is more fast paced I'd think. With NWN and BG you can pause during combat and issue orders. It is not turn based. You could probably get a better idea by watching gameplay.

Thing is, with the BG series you essentially need 4-6 party members and it can be fun, but I never liked managing that many. This is why I enjoyed NWN, because it's a solo adventure, you can hire a single henchmen and that is it. The big thing about NWN though..that gives it staying power, is the mods. It essentially comes with a system that lets you build your own adventures. As in..

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Ahh, KOTOR makes sense. God, what a great game that was. And God, what a disappointment the sequel was.

Which Side Are You On? Invisible Man's Avatar

Oldest game memories for me were based on playing Dungeons & Dragons RPG. Over the years, I tried everything from Bard's Tale to Pool of Radiance to Neverwinter, DDO, Temple of Elemental Evil and more.

We talked about our favorite monsters, modules and magic items on the latest episode of MVP Mutant Radio.

http://mutantville.com/blog/dugeons-...p-mutant-radio