Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does Anyone else feel the Avengers and X-men have gotten too big?

It seems too be quickly becoming the only two titles that Marvel is planning on Selling. Am I the only persona who feels this way or are there others?

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    It seems too be quickly becoming the only two titles that Marvel is planning on Selling. Am I the only persona who feels this way or are there others?
    With the success of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the current downplaying of the X-men and Fantastic Four, I can't say I agree with you. Maybe a few years ago, totally yes, but not now.
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I flipped through the x-books not long ago, I was astounded at all the people I didn't know.
    So maybe... *shrug* Somebody loves it I guess.

I can't say I agree 100%, but it feels like it at times. One thing I'll give credit to Marvel for is putting out a lot of B/C lister titles recently. However, the way they market them falls well short compared to the Avengers, Spidey and X-Men.

I can't really say that I agree, though that may just be due to my ignorance of the X-Side of publishing. I mean, unless you're counting the solo books like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc., towards the Avengers side, I don't really think it's the case. There's All-New Ghost Rider, Captain Marvel, Elektra, Hawkeye, Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, as well as She-Hulk (and those are just the titles I'm reading).

Goldballs of the Uncanny X-Men and Butterball from Avengers Academy.

Butterball's powerset won't allow him to lose weight, but Goldballs might.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Or you could agure that those are the types of titles that tend to sell better.

I... don't get it.

Saying "Avengers" and "X-men" are very generic terms that make up a large number of books.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I... don't get it.

Saying "Avengers" and "X-men" are very generic terms that make up a large number of books.
    That's exactly my point. It feels like those are the only two teams in the Marvel Universe.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Goldballs of the Uncanny X-Men and Butterball from Avengers Academy.

Butterball's powerset won't allow him to lose weight, but Goldballs might.
    Butterball just needs to spend some time working out with Leech (who is competing with Franklin Richards for Peter Pan Syndrome, and never getting any older...).

Like pretty much every Marvel character who has a problem that goes on for years, it's easily solved by other things in the Marvel Universe that they will ignore to maintain the drama.

Anywho, the Marvel Universe still has Fantastic Four and Thunderbolts teams, so it's not *all* Avengers and X-Peeps. Granted, I think there's still room for some Defenders and Heroes for Hire and Agents of Atlas and Initiative teams and New Warriors and Alpha Flight and what not, or perhaps even a rebooted Champions or Order.

Once the Avengers movie rush moves on (as various actors age out of the roles, and / or their contracts expire), perhaps Marvel will focus on some other options (such as these 'Defenders' tie-in series on Netflix, mostly using people who've never been Defenders, inexplicably, as if 'Heroes for Hire' was somehow not available to Marvel...).
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-29-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

At one point for sure. Before Marvel Now it used to be that if you weren't Avengers, X-Men or Spidey you didn't stand much of a chance. Since then though they have made great efforts to expand. We'll soon have a 4th GotG book, to go along with Silver Surfer, Ms. Marvel, Ghost Rider, Invaders, Loki, Deathlok, Punisher, Elektra etc.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I don't read any X-Titles anymore but it seems there are more than necessary. Of course, that's been the case for quite some time. I will agree that there are too many Avengers titles being put out right now. One or two titles for ANY character should be more than sufficient. As far as the lack of other Marvel books to read, I have to disagree. I have a nice assortment of books every month from Marvel.

That's exactly my point. It feels like those are the only two teams in the Marvel Universe.
    Well FF, Invaders, GOTG, and the Inhumans are all on the shelf too. I suspect a netflix inspired Defenders is not to far away.

Branding books with Avengers or X helps sells or at least it is believed to be the case. If you really look at them Avengers undercover. Mighty Avengers and Secret Avengers have no connection with the proper Avengers. But they benefit from the name, even New Avengers is not really an Avengers team even though most of the characters have been Avengers in the past. X-Factor is fairly separate from the X-men groups (Xforce was not sure if it still is). So they fall underthe branding of the base teams but story wise are quite separate.

IT is not much different from all the CSI shows or Coke, Diet Coke, Coke with line, Cherry coke, Coke zero, Coke Zero with vanilla etc.

Yeah, I think X-Men has lost something over the years as the brand ballooned. It's becoming more and more difficult to buy into the whole, "Oppressed and emotionally and physically tortured minority" thing when there's thousands of mutants running around, all of whom happen to be gorgeous physical specimens with conveniently powerful mutations.

I'm no fan of Grant Morrison, but I do wish those that followed him actually kept the idea that some mutants were truly burdened by their mutations. Not everyone gets to be a super sexy telepathic warrior.

... Those are not teams though they are generic terms

These all are different teams...

Avengers
    Illuminati
    Mighty Avengers
    Jean Grey X-Men
    Cyclop's X-Men
    New Warriors
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Thunderbolts
    Uncanny Avengers
    X-Force
    Kitty Pryde led O5

they put X-Men or Avengers in the titles because it sells. But each of those teams has a different motivation and a different leader and a different purpose. Thus different teams.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html