Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Butterball just needs to spend some time working out with Leech (who is competing with Franklin Richards for Peter Pan Syndrome, and never getting any older...).
    Butterbal can't work out, it was explained in the book, the process of exercizing damages uscle and new strong muscles grow in response, he can't damage his muscles a so he can't get stronger. The fat acts the same way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Huston View Post
    Yeah, I think X-Men has lost something over the years as the brand ballooned. It's becoming more and more difficult to buy into the whole, "Oppressed and emotionally and physically tortured minority" thing when there's thousands of mutants running around, all of whom happen to be gorgeous physical specimens with conveniently powerful mutations.

I'm no fan of Grant Morrison, but I do wish those that followed him actually kept the idea that some mutants were truly burdened by their mutations. Not everyone gets to be a super sexy telepathic warrior.
    I second that...say what you will about M-day, but at least it cut some of the mutant fat out a bit and force the X-men to a back to the basic moment.

BANNED

Yeah, I think X-Men has lost something over the years as the brand ballooned. It's becoming more and more difficult to buy into the whole, "Oppressed and emotionally and physically tortured minority" thing when there's thousands of mutants running around, all of whom happen to be gorgeous physical specimens with conveniently powerful mutations.

I'm no fan of Grant Morrison, but I do wish those that followed him actually kept the idea that some mutants were truly burdened by their mutations. Not everyone gets to be a super sexy telepathic warrior.
    Morrison/Quietly was the single most frakked up era in the X-books prior to their absorption into the Borg Collective that is the modern Avengers.

Oh, and with Thunderbolts and now Warriors down-checked and on the kill list, the universe just got a WHOLE lot smaller.

Extraordinary Member

Especially when you consider how most male mutants are white males with a troubling list of dead or depowered mutant males of color. It really makes the minority aspect look.....laughable.

I think the Avengers books are being trimmed down a bit, which was needed (except for Undercover!) I think it would be fine if each book had a totally separate roster, same as the X-men.

Except for Avengers World. I kind of enjoy that one involving everyone and being all over the place
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    Butterbal can't work out, it was explained in the book, the process of exercizing damages uscle and new strong muscles grow in response, he can't damage his muscles a so he can't get stronger. The fat acts the same way.
    Leech turns off people's super-powers. Butterbull wouldn't be invulnerable around him, and his muscle cells would be damaged and repair and his fat cells would be consumed for energy just like anyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    He said....

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Leech turns off people's super-powers. Butterbull wouldn't be invulnerable around him, and his muscle cells would be damaged and repair and his fat cells would be consumed for energy just like anyone elses.
    Yeah.
    This.
    This right here.

Well, in 2005, someone at Marvel thought that there were way too many mutants, so House of M happened; and we are still suffering the consequence of that.

BANNED

I feel the two teams are exactly where they should be - at the top of the heap.

They never should have been made.
    BB

Does Anyone else feel the Avengers and X-men have gotten too big?
    YES!

I don't think those teams themselves are too big, but I definitely think there are way two many books with Avengers on their titles that can't really be considered true Avengers books.
    Regardless of their quality, books like New Avengers and Avengers Undercover aren't about Avengers teams. One features the Illuminati and the other features a collection of young heroes going undercover as Masters of Evil, their connection to the Avengers is VERY loose.
    The only "real" Avengers teams these days are the main one, Mighty, Uncanny and Secret. Add Young Avengers to the list and that's as big as they should go.
    That all said, Uncanny Avengers is a weird case, I don't see the need for an Avengers team that basically deals with the X-men's problem, but if they went beyond just human-mutant relations to fighting for all kinds of "unity", maybe they'd have a better raison d'être. Add some AIs and inhumans to the book and I think things would get more interesting.

About the non-A/X teams, I think there is a nice variety, even if they aren't all as well explored as they could be. Inhumans has potential, but isn't quite there, they need to make them more different from the X-men. Everyone wants to copy the X-men these days, LOL
    Fantastic Four is always there, but rarely getting much focus. Their most recent peak in popularity was during Hickman's run, but they were quickly forgotten. Marvel had a real chance at building a franchise through Future Foundation, but gave up after Fraction's run didn't do so well in terms of sales.
    Guardians is doing really well because of the movie. I think they could do something great with 3000 spin-off, but the artist choice makes me worried for that series.
    New Warriors never found it's voice, I think Marvel should try something different, with a fresher cast. It's important to have a teen book that isn't dependant on the X-men/Avengers franchises. Justice and Speedball should be allowed to move on and the title should launch with a younger cast and new fan favorites like Ms. Marvel, Nova (again) and Miles Morales.
    Thunderbolts is another huge missed opportunity. I don't think they shlould have gotten away from the villains in redemption angle.
    One thing that Marvel doesn't lack is a great variety of unique team book concepts, they just need to explore them better.

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

They're just so popular that they've drowned out the rest. Nothing an effort to help prop up other titles couldn't fix... given the effort is quality enough. But yes, a company tends to focus on its star products.

So it's not just me it seems.

Yes. There are too many books with Avengers or X-Men in the title. I would prefer if many of the titles were ended and only two or three of each were left... each with their own individual teams and concepts. That is really the biggest problem, there is too much sharing of characters, and no attempt at having a different concept with each book.