Default Netflixs Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The trailer looks pretty good but don't really see anything new is this another remake or reboot?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Texa...9VsafJtdU,st:0

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    The trailer looks pretty good but don't really see anything new is this another remake or reboot?

It ignores all other films apart from the original. So it is basically pulling a Halloween 2018 on us. They've tried this before, but I honestly don't think this will do any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It ignores all other films apart from the original. So it is basically pulling a Halloween 2018 on us. They've tried this before, but I honestly don't think this will do any better.
    Tend to agree...

I have a tough time seeing them being able to top the "Family..." aspect that spans the end of the initial film through the start of the last sequel.

The stuff we didn't see may very well be better than this film.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post

I'm guessing the "continuity" is just the Tube Hooper films...

Ultimate Member

Man, this movie was HORRIBLE.

It was just a complete waste of my time. Treating Leatherface like he's Jason from Friday the 13th is the absolute worst way to handle that character.

And the whole "ignore all the sequels" thing needs to be handled very carefully. In this instance, it feels like an insult because some of the previous sequels were far, far better than this movie.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Although I love the more traditionally slasher TCM 2 and TNG he first Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a legitimately great movie, and I wish Hollywood would treat the franchise with more care and thought. I would like to see Leatherface in a TV show akin to True Detective or Hannibal. If they decide to go with a sequel to the original instead of an outright reboot, I'd suggest they set it in the 70s or 80s. A Leatherface in his 30 or 40s is much more frightening that the geriatric Leatherface that would be running around in the 2020s.

Extraordinary Member

They tried to pull a Halloween 2018 and failed because of several reasons.

1. I hate to say it but Sally is no Laurie Strode. Laurie was a signifcant character in 8 of the 12 Halloween films. She also had more agency and was more of a character. The entire point to Sally is a bunch of horrific things happened to her and she high tailed it out and barely escaped. Hard to buy the idea that she came back with some sort of vendetta.

2. It missed the disturbing family aspects that made the original so unnerving. Take that away and Leatherface is just a generic slasher. He's not some superhuman like Jason.

3. The problem with trying to incorporate modern sensibilities with older franchises is that the consistency is never there. Once viral videos of Leatherface killing a bus full of people got out, the Texas state police, the feds, and probably the national guard would be deployed there and swarming the town by the end of the night.

4. I hate characters making stupid needless decisions. Why didn't the sisters high tail it the hell out of the town the minute they though Leatherface was dead? Why did they drive the car straight into him when they could have just left. So dumb.

Aside from that I liked the concept of the whole reclaiming an abandoned ghost town as the set up for a Slasher film. Just not for this. It needed to be fine tuned more.

It was fine as a turn your brain off and watch people get murdered film.

Story was crappy. They tried to make Sally Hardesty into Laurie Strode except she wasn’t a main character and didn’t get enough development to warrant it. The previous continuity of Sally ending up in the psych ward felt more fitting than this. Instead the story focuses on some annoying hipsters. Liked the ghost town idea but ultimately the story was meh. Zero explanation of how a random old woman came to adopt Bubba either.

There was some good violence and kills, but ultimately it wasn’t worth watching for anything except that.

I thought it was pretty good at least better than the last 2 movies

Pros LF looks great the kills are really good and bloody the ghost town is a great setting the showdown at the end is great and probably the best ending sense the first

Cons the story set up is stupid the reason for LF going on a killing spree is stupid (really does he need a reason?) No Sawyers family? Going to fight LF and not running is stupid the school shooting thing adds nothing Sally was not needed also Sally and Laurie Strode are not Sarah Connor and last I'm getting really tiered of this requel thing.

All in all I give this a C+

So Leatherface is now as strong as Jason but as durable as Michael...with an ending akin to the first Nightmare on Elm Street.

Leatherface, at least none of the incarnations before now, was never borderline superhuman. At best he was big but that's it, he was never strong enough to for instance break a wrist in half with one hand. WTF and he's supposed to be in his 70s? They were trying TOO hard to make this Halloween: Texas Chainsaw Edition. Complete with Sally Strode, I mean Sally Hardesty. And about that, spoilers:
    she waited 50 years only to NOT shoot him in the head immediately when she saw him
    end of spoilers?

Meh. Not sure how I'd rank it but it would be pretty low, probably above 2017's sequel/prequel/whatever but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    So Leatherface is now as strong as Jason but as durable as Michael...with an ending akin to the first Nightmare on Elm Street.

Leatherface, at least none of the incarnations before now, was never borderline superhuman. At best he was big but that's it, he was never strong enough to for instance break a wrist in half with one hand. WTF and he's supposed to be in his 70s? They were trying TOO hard to make this Halloween: Texas Chainsaw Edition. Complete with Sally Strode, I mean Sally Hardesty. And about that, spoilers:
    she waited 50 years only to NOT shoot him in the head immediately when she saw him
    end of spoilers?

Meh. Not sure how I'd rank it but it would be pretty low, probably above 2017's sequel/prequel/whatever but that's about it.
    Leatherface was always really strong picking ppl up like Thay are nothing and what not riping car doors off etc he was also always really durable he gets a chancesaw throw the gut and I mean all the way and keeps fighting but ya he was upgraded in this movie.