Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
I do agree with the big studios but I have to commend some big studios that can still take risk even with their obsession with money. WB wanted MCU money, they rushed the DCEU, however they did not put all their eggs in that one basket. Joker and The Batman so far still offer more opportunities for auteurs.

Fox was doing the same before the buy out with X-MEN, They were still trying to keep the main series going but offer alternatives that will not tie too closely with the main series and not cost so much in budget. It is worth a laugh that Dark Phoenix cost more than Deadpool and Logan combined. lol
So, when the DCEU and Fox gave their directors creative freedom it was good, but it's bad when Marvel Studios does the exact same thing?

Big Studios like the one Feige runs are just stuck now with no alternative, that is pretty depressing and I am not going to consider the multiverse push as an alternative.
So, when DC does it it's okay, but for Marvel Studios, it doesn't count?

This is true but you can have interesting topics in superhero/comic films. Joker is a great example in the last maybe 5 years, it is a movie about a mentally ill man and still a comic film.
Funny how for you, when Marvel Studios does the same, it doesn't count.

Feige will never produced Joker and he will never encourage his screen writers to think that far, so why should I put him anywhere near somebody like Billy Wilder who in the 1940s made a great movie like The Lost Weekend, which was one of the first movies to ever tackle alcoholism in a serious way as a lone topic.

Wilder did it with the Hayes Code still in place, which just feels insane to me now, when I think about it because the film is just so compelling and it is a plot that can be in any film genre, even comic films,... even Marvel, if you have read the comics. Just show you know the Hayes Code was far more toned down and restricted than todays pg 13 that all Feige films are given. so the reality is that Feige even with more technical freedom 75 years later, is practically limited than many producers in the 1940s -1960s.
"I think we target everything we're doing now for kids and adults. So I think your question is more adult, or R-rated. Other than Deadpool, which has already established itself as a certain genre and a certain rating that we've already said we would not mess with when we start working with Deadpool, which we have, other than that, we've not ever encountered a story or a storyline or a character's journey that a PG-13 or the tone or the ratings that we've been using up to this point has prevented us...We've never been held back by [the PG-13 rating]. If we ever are, then certainly there could be a discussion to be had now that there are other outlets, like Hulu, like Star, but that just hasn't been the case yet. We've been able to tell all the kinds of stories we've wanted to with the tonality and the rating structure that we have now." - Kevin Feige

Funny how the MCU movies put most of their depth into the characters (e.g. both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, Black Widow, Eternals). Seeing complex family relationships (including scaring from childhood abuse) and struggles with beliefs and faith when everything gets upended might not seem as splashy as "big issues," but it's just as legitimate a topic as any (not to mention capable of going to just as dark places as your Snyderverses or whatever edgelord flavor of the week we're talking about). Heck, from an artistic perspective, the Marvel movies should be given credit for what they were designed to do and not be shamed because you wanted something else.

Cards on the table, the more I read your stuff here, the more I think this was never about artistic quality or auteurism, but you just trying to "justify" your MCU hatred by making a "they're bad art" claim. As pointed out before, you praise other studios for doing the kinds of things you slam Marvel Studios for and have never examined the latter's artistry or craftsmanship. If you hate the MCU, that's fine, but at least be consistent in your logic.