Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    As for well made films, that is the biggest issue, especially in the producer debate? my recent references to George Lucas talking about producers at the PGA. are feige's movies really well made? in comparisons to the standard of Hollywood like what we saw yesterday with Dune and Macbeth at the Oscars. I saw Macbeth yesterday immediately after I posted the trailer to scott taylor. watching the film, all I could think of is why, when there was a thread of the best screen writer-director. The Cohen brothers made the list. It is a good and well made film and some of Denzel Washington best acting work. Guess he should have won the Oscar now, after the Will Smith fiasco.
    Think some have, some haven't. It's the way any career goes.

Is it fair for the industry of film to start defining well made film as a movie with little creative driven narrative? I don't think that is fair or right. The recent Batman is a well made film in many content. NWH is not really a well made film as The Batman, although No way home is perhaps the better pop corn flick.
    Course it is; there's more than one kind of good film. Think I liked The Batman better, but I do think that No Way Home has been getting extremely short-changed over the splashier elements.

Walt Disney belongs more in the golden age along with Hitchcock or Wyler. He does not belong to this new age of mainstream movie. He changed the industry at a time it was best to do so, now that seems to be rare in 2022
    And yet Disney and others continue to make good movies.

He does not really explain himself because the movie does not let him, he drops notes, lines and references but his main goal in the film is his beef with his cousin and to seize power. I dont know if there is much cause to define that as better, since the screen writing wont be able to back it up for black panther, mentioning colonialism vs having a movie about one is different. some X-Men movies are about the subject, that was told in a way that extends beyond the generic expectations of comic books, something no Feige movie has yet to do. better is not the term for that. fun is the better term.
    That is literally the exact opposite. Do I need to pull direct quotes to make the point?

it is not even fair anymore to compare both since x-men would be seen more as science-fiction drama than a comic book films next to black panther and other Fiege movies. Bryan Singer even always said, he never really made comic films as thought off and I dont blame him because the idea back then was that, he was ashamed of the comic genre, when all he was doing was giving the genre serious credibility that Feige does not seem too keen on.
    You're right that it's not a fair comparison. Not going beyond "racism is bad, mmkay" is not a deep as building a movie around the life experiences of a specific demographic.

I said the Oscars needs consistency with films they nominate. they just had a sci-fi consistency with Dune taking all the technical categories. They need to apply that to comic films as well.
    Seeing what a mess the last one was (and not just the Chris Rock and Will Smith thing) and the Oscar's usual biases, can't say I would get my hopes up.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I think Feige gets way too much acclaim and it has gone to his head. Avi Arad started the ball rolling. And yes, he presided over real lows, but he also presided over IMO the highest highs that easily beat MCU stand fare formulaic properties that can’t resist the winking and nodding gags undermining their movies and shows.
    As a comic fan the MCU was just always overrated. Most of the characters aren't recognizable when I read a comic. Doesn't feel like it's for me, but oh well.