Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

For tent pole movies definitely but his scope is kind of limited to that only
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

For making money: certainly as NWH demonstrates. Other metrics not so much.

Spectacular Member

Well... if someone handed you a golden goose, then you'd have to be a fool to kill it (looking at you Kathleen Kennedy).

I think you'd need to look at a producer who took something original that no one knew they wanted and then turned that into a gold mine. Obviously, I'd say that Dino De Laurentis, George Lucas and even Joel Silver have better comparative success. Even the Broccolis, who did something similar when they got James Bond probably would be considered better producers over all.

I don't know if he's the greatest but he's certainly up there. At this point, it's safe to say he's spearheaded the biggest box office success in the history of Hollywood. That right there puts him in contention regardless of opinion in anything else.

When adjusted for inflation, Gone with the Wind (1939) is still the most successful movie of all time in terms of dollars. Endgame doesn't crack the top ten (its number 16). The next Feige movie on the list is the original Avengers movie at 29.

So the top four movies were produced by David O. Selznick, George Lucas, Robert Wise and Stephen Spielberg (ET is his top film, yuck).

Got this info from here:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/..._gross_to=2019
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

My favorite creators/producers are Jim Henson, Walt Disney, Matt Groening, Rod Serling, Gene Roddenberry, and Dick Wolf. I think Feige is the greatest movie producer of this century.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-11-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    When adjusted for inflation, Gone with the Wind (1939) is still the most successful movie of all time in terms of dollars. Endgame doesn't crack the top ten (its number 16). The next Feige movie on the list is the original Avengers movie at 29.

So the top four movies were produced by David O. Selznick, George Lucas, Robert Wise and Stephen Spielberg (ET is his top film, yuck).

Got this info from here:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/..._gross_to=2019
    That list doesn't seem right. They are basing it on tickets sold, okay. But The Force Awakens made 2 billion and Endgame made almost 3 billion 4 years later. But it says it had 15 million less tickets. A billion more on 15 million less tickets? They didn't raise the prices that much between '15 and '19.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    My favorite creators/producers are Jim Henson, Walt Disney, Matt Groening, Rod Serling, Gene Roddenberry, and Dick Wolf. I think Feige is the greatest movie producer of this century.
    Great to see someone else name drop Walter Disney.

Sometimes or many times today, we see the Disney cooperation as this unsinkable power brand that has managed to get marvel, star wars, espn, pixar, lucasfilm and so on.

We forget that once upon a time, there was just a simple man called Walter Disney who just had a vision about how cool his cartoon drawings would look when brought to a moving animated picture.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-11-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Great to see someone else name drop Walter Disney.

Sometimes or many times today, we see the Disney cooperation as this unsinkable power brand that has managed to get marvel, star wars, espn, lucasfilm and so on.

We forget that once upon a time, there was just a simple man called Walter Disney who just had a vision about how cool his cartoon drawing would look when brought to a moving animated picture.
    Mr. Disney was a fascinating and visionary producer. I loved the animated stuff his company created. I think George Lucas is probably the most successful creator/producer of the second half of the 20th century though. I admire producers who can adapt works that appeal to massive audiences (like Feige), but I also like the folks that CREATE IPs too. Lucas is a GREAT example of creating AND producing his own material. The Broccolis were kind of like Feige (great ADAPTERS of works from other mediums). But James Bond succeeded because of the genius and creativity of Ian Fleming. Just like Game of Thrones succeeded because of the writing prowess and fertile imagination of George R.R. Martin. I haven't watched Game of Thrones myself, but I hesitate to criticize D&D too much. They obviously did a great job of ADAPTING the novels when they could use of them as source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That list doesn't seem right. They are basing it on tickets sold, okay. But The Force Awakens made 2 billion and Endgame made almost 3 billion 4 years later. But it says it had 15 million less tickets. A billion more on 15 million less tickets? They didn't raise the prices that much between '15 and '19.
    I didn't look into it too closely. Average ticket prices went up by a dollar in the timeframe you mention, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That list is for the domestic box office, not worldwide, and domestic The Force Awakens made more than Endgame even in unadjusted numbers.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Thanks for explaining chicago. Wow, about half it's box office domestically, I wonder if any other modern blockbuster did that.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-11-2022 at 03:56 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Uh...

In all seriousness, his skill and key to success is that he's supremely normal and knows how to handle talent/relate to people like a human being. He was willing to let Iron Man 2 be, well, terrible, in order to not rock the boat too much. Others would have seen it as the hill to die on, and thus not made it with upper management to continue on. He lasted through the years by letting the smaller issues roll off his back, arguably things he should have cared more about like script problems, but his people skills and chill had tremendous foresight. He didn't alienate anyone for 'art' and lucked out when the franchise endured despite its shortcomings.

However, he's arguably losing that now by becoming so obsessed with- sorry if this offends people for saying it but for lack of a better term- woke issues and "SJW" representation. It's not about whether it's right or wrong, it's about that these are things he personally thinks should be in the movies that he pushes in a huge way, that have nothing to do with storytelling or art. I'm sure in his mind he thinks he's fighting evil or whatever, but it's the hill he's clearly willing to die on often to the detriment of the films and alienating half of the audience over politics. My point is that he used to have NO hills to die on and let the quality ride for the sake of the bigger picture, and let stupid popcorn movies out the gate to appeal to everyone. We've found his achilles heel, and he can't really see the forrest for the trees anymore- in short it's become to much of his personal vision now, for right or wrong. I would say that I personally have more of a problem with his weird penchant for inserting characters and franchises from his childhood, 70s cosmic Marvel, to the complete exclusion of 90s and sort of 80s properties many people grew up on that defined Marvel, but same difference. He's changed what Marvel was to what he thinks it should be.
    Last edited by daredevil1; 01-12-2022 at 06:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Uh...

In all seriousness, his skill and key to success is that he's supremely normal and knows how to handle talent/relate to people like a human being. He was willing to let Iron Man 2 be, well, terrible, in order to not rock the boat too much. Others would have seen it as the hill to die on, and thus not made it with upper management to continue on. He lasted through the years by letting the smaller issues roll off his back, arguably things he should have cared more about like script problems, but his people skills and chill had tremendous foresight. He didn't alienate anyone for 'art' and lucked out when the franchise endured despite its shortcomings.

Would the art part be accurate. Marvel is very famous for having many directors leave for creative differences and directors who direct marvel just window dress the films. Many of the producers already mentioned who ware also actors, writers and directors like Walter Disney, Alfred Hitchcock and Cecil Demile would never have survived in the business working with Feige as an artist.

I dont see a man like Alfonso Cuaron working so well with Feige as a producer as he did with David Heyman for Prisoner of Azkaban and Gravity

Also I would not worry about Woke anymore. The Woke term, while once a second wave legitimate issue has now lost credibility. Our dearest former ole president (Sarcasm) Trump now says it is woke to say he did not win the election.

Wokeness as of 2022 has now become a code word many racist people use to tear down anything that is not white anymore and is making mainstream, reason I can no longer take the word seriously. There is a fine line between real diversity and wokeness and it has been blurred in the last few months.

Is Feige woke in the former definition of the word? maybe he is. Do I buy the message of the word today in 2022? No, because it has lost all credibility.

Wokeness used to be unnecessarily race bending or gender bending characters that were not necessary and not giving them much of the depth or likeability factor of the original white or male character. This, I did not like and still do not like. However, Wokness now just means having a POC in a series or film.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2022 at 06:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Would the art part be accurate. Marvel is very famous for having many directors leave for creative differences and directors who direct marvel just window dress the films. Many of the producers already mentioned who ware also actors, writers and directors like Walter Disney, Alfred Hitchcock and Cecil Demile would never have survived in the business working with Feige as an artist.

I dont see a man like Alfonso Cuaron working so well with Feige as a producer as he did with David Heyman for Prisoner of Azkaban and Gravity

Also I would not worry about Woke anymore. The Woke term, while once a second wave legitimate issue has now lost credibility. Our dearest former ole president (Sarcasm) Trump now says it is woke to say he did not win the election.

Wokeness as of 2022 has now become a code word many racist people use to tear down anything that is not white anymore and is making mainstream, reason I can no longer take the word seriously. There is a fine line between real diversity and wokeness and it has been blurred in the last few months.

Is Feige woke in the former definition of the word? maybe he is. Do I buy the message of the word today in 2022? No, because it has lost all credibility.

Wokeness used to be unnecessarily race bending or gender bending characters that were not necessary and not giving them much of the depth or likeability factor of the original white or male character. This, I did not like and still do not like. However, Wokness now just means having a POC in a series or film.
    This is probably the first time that we agree on something.

Well said.