Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Mr. Negative/Martin Li was created by Dan Slott in 2007.
    I know, but you said "Mr. Sinister" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    All I know is this: some of you younger pups are lucky you weren't around when John Byrne relaunched the Spidey books! He literally wrote a couple of issues simply to shut up fans about a storyline we wanted to see explained that he had no interest in (i.e. the 5th Green Goblin). He was the worst.
    I mean, I'm sure there are fans who would prefer Byrne's 20 forgettable ASM issues over, uh, Slott writing ASM for 10 years, so, y'know, don't think Byrne can be consired the worst like it's a fact lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I mean, I'm sure there are fans who would prefer Byrne's 20 forgettable ASM issues over, uh, Slott writing ASM for 10 years, so, y'know, don't think Byrne can be consired the worst like it's a fact lol.
    Oh, sure. Wasn't trying to imply any objectivity -- THE WORST in a figurative sense. Like: ugh. Gross. Yuck.

-Pav, who can't forget the horror...

Edit: Credit where it's due -- I liked the reboot era portrayal of Mysterio quite a lot, and Byrne's Spider-Woman series had some bright spots.
    Last edited by Pav; 01-16-2022 at 09:04 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Slott shouldn't return because he ran a significant portion of the customers off. Good writer though.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

I wouldn't want him back on ASM, but there is room in his run for another Superior story, or something Otto-centric in general. For example, did the first version of Superior really delete himself?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Slott shouldn't return because he ran a significant portion of the customers off.
    When? He was on the book for years because his stories sold well.

NEVER

Maybe as editor, he does have great ideas he just really sucks as a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    When? He was on the book for years because his stories sold well.
    Superior Spider-man. Spider-man used to sell close to or more than 100,000 issues monthly until Slotts run.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Superior Spider-man. Spider-man used to sell close to or more than 100,000 issues monthly until Slotts run.
    The biggest boosts were because they did Superior, 2 new volumes (#1s), and Secret Wars, all which were big headliners and events. In particluar, the return of Peter Parker after Superior (vol3) sold extremely well despite those issues being pretty mediocre, because it was Peter returning from the dead and the return of Amazing after a long hiatus. He got a lot of help from all of this although he should be credited the idea of killing off Peter and returning him which sold well, not sure if it would have sold AS well without the re-numberings and title changes that marketed it so well.

Astonishing Member

I liked his run until Spider Island and even then he had other writers to help him write stories with him, so I wouldn't mind him not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Interesting times (in the Chinese sense), to be sure.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I liked his run, but I don't think this would be a great idea.

He's said what he wanted about the character.

He's also not very prolific. It seems obvious the most profitable model for Spider-Man is an Amazing Spider-Man with 2-4 issues a month, and Slott would struggle with that. Marvel lost some money because Slott is not as prolific as Nick Spencer (they've gained money because of the sales of success of Superior Spider-Man and Spider Island, to say nothing of concepts adopted to other media.) Working on Spider-Man would also prevent him from doing other books, given his schedule.

The man loves Spider-Man, and Marvel likes him, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some kind of return. But it'll probably take a while, and it won't be as open-ended as a typical Spider-Man run.
    The return is a bit faster than I expected, although this format makes sense.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

We will never be free of Slott.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    We will never be free of Slott.
    Honestly, how much impact has Slott really had in terms of legacy? Mr. Negative seems to be the only thing of his that actually stuck around (the RYV series has its fans, too, but it kinda seems to have been relatively niche overall). I think it's a safe bet that if you don't like this mini, if you just wait it out, things will reset themselves. That's the good and bad thing about Marvel/DC comics; stuff you hate will get wiped out, but so will the stuff you love.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Honestly, how much impact has Slott really had in terms of legacy? Mr. Negative seems to be the only thing of his that actually stuck around (the RYV series has its fans, too, but it kinda seems to have been relatively niche overall). I think it's a safe bet that if you don't like this mini, if you just wait it out, things will reset themselves. That's the good and bad thing about Marvel/DC comics; stuff you hate will get wiped out, but so will the stuff you love.
    He popularised the concept of a Spider-Verse which has resulted in a regular multiverse based Spider-events in the comics and two movies; one oscar winning and the other a historic record breaker. Superior Spider-Man was a huge hit and the concept has kept around and found its way into other media and Otto is seen more an anti hero than a straight up villain these days.