Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Or stories that take place in the past.

What I noticed Slott can be pretty good at, at least with Spidey, is telling stories like that, Learning to Crawl and Spider-Man/Human Torch are examples of this, there are obvious retcons here and there, but they generally don't feel too invasive (Though we do get cases like Clash...).
    Clash was pretty inoffensive IMHO. Alpha, or Cindy on the other hand...

I think he's said everything he needs/wants to say about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Clash was pretty inoffensive IMHO. Alpha, or Cindy on the other hand...
    Clash doesn't really hurt anything, I mentioned he was "invasive" 'cause a lot of Learning to Crawl is about him (Or at least I remember thinking so, but it's been a while).

Cindy, she's an odd one, her entire existence is a big ass retcon, but she wasn't part of any of Slott's stories in the past, so I don't count her as being invasive during those flashback stories.

Alpha, the only retcon related to him is Parker Particles in general, even then it's just Reed saying "Oh I found out about this before you Peter", he didn't mess with the background in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he's said everything he needs/wants to say about the character.
    But has he said everything he wants to say about Otto? .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

But has he said everything he wants to say about Otto? .
    I guess he could never get tired of showing people how awesome and noble Doc Ock is .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess he could never get tired of showing people how awesome and noble Doc Ock is .
    Nothing more noble than trying to kill 99% of the planet just so the rest of the remaining humans remember him as the biggest monster in history .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    While I agree that Slott's time as head writer on Spider-man is done (though not in sentiment or with the ridiculous vitriol of others here) I do think having him back as editor is actually pretty good idea. I always liked his enthusiasm for moving Peter, his life and world forward and having him face new and interesting threats and challenges.

While I may not agree with some of his directions (mostly at the end) I was consistently interested in where things were going.

I think he could be an editor like Denny O'Neil was to Batman in the '90s, a fan and keeper of tradition who understood the character and his world but also understood that times change and new voices need to be heard... and sometimes said 'no' to. I think he'd do a great job shepherding the books.
    He's the last person who should shepherd comic books.

Dan Slott has no idea how to structure a story, is incapable of remembering actions must have reactions in stories, can't even keep his own donut steel characters' names straight (is it it Lien or Lian, who knows?!). He is the least qualified person to be an editor with creative story oversight. It is also very well documented he runs late and misses deadlines, so he is also not qualified to be do the one thing Lowe excels at: getting the books out on time.

It's not a fluke his best crafted stories were under Wacker, who appeared to have more of a strict hand, storywise, and his stories floundered under Lowe, who is more hands' off creatively.

Slott should go work for Hasbro or Lego. He's best suited to come up with wacky playset ideas and sell more toys based on variant designs.

Slott is an incredibly talented and knowledgeable writer who, by and large, wrote some extremely fun Spider-Man stories. As far as I'm concerned, he only had a few major blunders over his long run, and too many people love to focus on his miscues and pretend he could do something as ridiculous as "destroy the character."

As far as having him back writing Spidey, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him do minis, kinda like PAD has been doing lately; I wouldn't mind him doing one of the satellite titles, either. But as much as I like his work, I'd prefer ASM continue to find new voices.

-Pav, who knows it's easier to criticize than appreciate...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Agreed with those against him editing. Slott is the worst to take a Denny O'Neill type role as a 'curator' of Spidey, because he fundamentally does not get the character. We need somebody who understands the pre-One More Day/pre-Disney version of Spider-Man; even Howard Mackie grasped the tone better than Slott. Some people, like Slott and Brevoort, see Spider-Man as all about "youth" and humor; some of us see it as a story about a man who ages, and more of a tragedy at that. I don't get why a comic that so many at Marvel see as having to be youth-oriented, ends up being written by the hokiest, uncoolest old boomers to ever walk the planet, like Slott, Mark Waid, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Agreed with those against him editing. Slott is the worst to take a Denny O'Neill type role as a 'curator' of Spidey, because he fundamentally does not get the character. We need somebody who understands the pre-One More Day/pre-Disney version of Spider-Man; even Howard Mackie grasped the tone better than Slott. Some people, like Slott and Brevoort, see Spider-Man as all about "youth" and humor; some of us see it as a story about a man who ages, and more of a tragedy at that. I don't get why a comic that so many at Marvel see as having to be youth-oriented, ends up being written by the hokiest, uncoolest old boomers to ever walk the planet, like Slott, Mark Waid, etc.
    Hey, hey, hey, now!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Slott by and large, wrote some extremely fun Spider-Man stories. As far as I'm concerned, he only had a few major blunders over his long run, and too many people love to focus on his miscues and pretend he could do something as ridiculous as "destroy the character."

As far as having him back writing Spidey, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him do minis, kinda like PAD has been doing lately; I wouldn't mind him doing one of the satellite titles, either. But as much as I like his work, I'd prefer ASM continue to find new voices.
    I agree with this assessment, especially that second paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Dan Slott has no idea how to structure a story, is incapable of remembering actions must have reactions in stories, can't even keep his own donut steel characters' names straight (is it it Lien or Lian, who knows?!).
    Clearly Lian was a reference to silver age, where Liz's last name changed between Allan and Allen at random .

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Slott is an incredibly talented and knowledgeable writer who, by and large, wrote some extremely fun Spider-Man stories. As far as I'm concerned, he only had a few major blunders over his long run, and too many people love to focus on his miscues and pretend he could do something as ridiculous as "destroy the character."
    I mean, even if we ignore his major screw ups, a lot of Slott's stories are just meh and may follow awkward logic ("Otto stole my body, left me to die, killed people while in my body and fucked over my relationships with my family, but he made aunt May stop limping, so he's pretty cool"), and his Peter only seemed to react to stuff if the plot required it.

It's why I think his Otto is a better protagonist than his Peter, Otto felt more like a developed character.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Marvel isn't really gonna let a situation like Conway who started to write ASM at like what, at his 20's? Specially a big name book like ASM lol.

He shouldn't return as a writer. As an editor? It would depend on his duties and whether he would prepare for it. He could be a good creative consultant or "historian", but anything else, such as editor in chief, idk.

Astonishing Member

Clearly Lian was a reference to silver age, where Liz's last name changed between Allan and Allen at random .

I mean, even if we ignore his major screw ups, a lot of Slott's stories are just meh and may follow awkward logic ("Otto stole my body, left me to die, killed people while in my body and fucked over my relationships with my family, but he made aunt May stop limping, so he's pretty cool"), and his Peter only seemed to react to stuff if the plot required it.

It's why I think his Otto is a better protagonist than his Peter, Otto felt more like a developed character.

Marvel isn't really gonna let a situation like Conway who started to write ASM at like what, at his 20's? Specially a big name book like ASM lol.
    Conway was one of the best writers of Spider-Man. I would put him in the top five. If they have a young writer who they think can do a good job, I do not see the problem. What would I like to see? 1: Someone who does not see Peter as a loser. I had enough of that with Slott and Spencer. 2: Someone who understands the history of Spider-Man ( good and bad). 3: Someone who understands Peter Parker is every bit as ( if not more important) then Spider-Man. 5: Someone who is focused on the task at hand writing a clear and concise story. Spencer was all over the map and used too many characters. 6: Bring back humor without turning him into a fool. 7: Someone who understands that it is important for Peter to win battles not be a “Damsel In Distress.” 8: I would like to see some new villains. The only good Spider-Man villain created in the 21st Century is Mr. Negative.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Conway was one of the best writers of Spider-Man. I would put him in the top five. If they have a young writer who they think can do a good job, I do not see the problem.
    And how many young writers at Marvel would get this much? Writers have to write other comics to "prove" they're good enough before they get big titles, and ASM is as big as it gets at Marvel.

Conway being young back when he wrote ASM was a benefit, since it meant ASM wasn't written in a way that's so tryhard in trying to sound young, but that kind of thing is unlikely to happen again, at best, we could have nepotism that pushes someone young into ASM, we even have the blatant nepotism with Henry Abrams writing Adjectiveless Spider-Man (He was like 20 when he wrote that comic), but Abrams himself is an example of how bad nepotism can be.

What would I like to see? 1: Someone who does not see Peter as a loser. I had enough of that with Slott and Spencer.
    Spencer doesn't see Spidey like a loser, if anything the loser of the comic is Boomerang (Spidey even tricks him into stealing that Isotope Accelerator), Spidey generally does fine, and only gets his ass beaten in overwhelming situations.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Slott seems interested in returning to the Spider-Man franchise. He has plenty of stories to tell. I have this reoccurring dream that Slott will become the next Spider-Editor over seeing the Spider-Titles? Would anyone want to see Slott return as Editor?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/...ated-accounts/

No, no, no, keep the bad man away. As much as I’m lukewarm on Spidey these days, just seeing Papa Smurf’s mug reminds me how much worse things used to be. I don’t think everything he did was bad, but just like Howard Mackie, his last few years on the book were so aggressively awful they ruined any positive legacy he may have had if he had just quit while he was at his peak (for Slott that would’ve been just at the conclusion of Superior).