Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

No absolutely not.

Never.

No.

Ugh disgusting

No

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    I don't necessarily think Marvel should have some 20 year old Gen Z write the comic, but then, I also don't think it should be about "youth" the way Marvel does. They're pretty hypocritical. I'd be fine with Grant Morrison (or whoever) writing the comic if it was about the mid-30s Peter the way JMS was writing him, as had been done for about 20 years prior to that where the old writers didn't need him to be up on the hippest of hip trends and lingo.
    Stan Lee definitey wasn't keeping up with youth considering he made a fun character like MJ and expected her to not be liked lol.

Back to Slott, I think he excels in a situation where he doesn't have much room to put "his" spin on a character where he thinks he knows best, and the Spidey comics became more about a weird one-upmanship dialogue with the readers than just telling stories. I thought his best work by far was his Batman comics, particularly the Adventures and Arkham Asylum run. He both had to a) dial the lame humor way down, and b) work within a continuity where he was under a strict series of rules and defined characterization that he had to play by. His Spider-Man was neither fish nor fowl, with things like the Ock/Spidey body swap or Verse not even really fitting into the Stan Lee interpretation of the world, but instead of going dark, littered with him "bringing the funny." How many times could we stand J. Jonah regressing into "Bah! That web headed weasel!" over and over and over before it got draining? The tone was hokey and 2-d AND smug.
    Yeah, Slott being confined to more strict rules of what to do might be why I find his work that takes place in the past generally better than his ASM run lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am not one of Dan Slott’s biggest fans ( I gave him a grade of F for his entire run). That said, He did some good work: RYV, Spider-Island and Superior ( he also came up with Mr. Sinister),
    Wrong name buddy, I don't think Slott was even writing comic books by the time Mr. Sinister was created .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Whole lotta people talking about Slott like he beat their dog or something. Dude wrote some comics you disliked, it's not a personal attack. Lol.
    Slott was so bad that he wrote a flagship, worldwide icon, AAA character that TWO multi-billion dollar conglomerates have been fighting for the past 3 decades, and whose ideas have been directly the impetus for billion dollar film franchises for nearly a decade.

Come on people get a grip.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 01-11-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Slott was so bad that he wrote a flagship worldwide icon AAA character that TWO multi-billion dollar conglomerates have been fighting for the past 3 decades and whose ideas have been directly the impetus for billion dollar film franchises for nearly a decade.

Are we talking about Slott or Bendis...?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are we talking about Slott or Bendis...?
    ha!

exactly!

personally, i enjoyed the first story or two of his that i read. i was engaged, which is a decent thing for someone who is very casually following comics and superheroes these days

but that wore off a few stories in and i didn't find much reason to keep reading; he's more action and plot oriented than character, which is still a valid choice but it's a much harder choice to sustain over longer periods.

seems he's said all he's wanted to say on ASM, so i'm fine with him not returning.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    decent job of smoothly reading his script off camera but can't help wishing he had a teleprompter
    Last edited by boots; 01-11-2022 at 08:37 PM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Slott was so bad that he wrote a flagship, worldwide icon, AAA character that TWO multi-billion dollar conglomerates have been fighting for the past 3 decades, and whose ideas have been directly the impetus for billion dollar film franchises for nearly a decade.

I'm not sure one has anything to do with the other... Spidey would be doing just fine, perhaps even better, without Slott running the comic into the ground for as long as he did. He'd remain an icon appearing in multiple media outside the comics. Marvel is also pretty incestuous in who they pick to be the writer. Let's face it, *I* could've been the writer of a flagship worldwide icon if Axel Alonso knew me and one day decided he was going to dig his heels in about it. Slott remained there for ten years even after it was a near-consensus how bad he had gotten, and he had acted extremely unprofessionally towards fans on multiple social media.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    I'm not sure one has anything to do with the other... Spidey would be doing just fine, perhaps even better, without Slott running the comic into the ground for as long as he did. He'd remain an icon appearing in multiple media outside the comics. Marvel is also pretty incestuous in who they pick to be the writer. Let's face it, *I* could've been the writer of a flagship worldwide icon if Axel Alonso knew me and one day decided he was going to dig his heels in about it. Slott remained there for ten years even after it was a near-consensus how bad he had gotten, and he had acted extremely unprofessionally towards fans on multiple social media.
    according to you

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Yes, that was the time to go. I hate TASM (Vol. 3) and TASM (Vol. 4).
    Yep. ASM vol. 3 and ASM vol. 4 were some of the worse Spidey comics ever written and I was DEFINTELY ready for Slott to leave the book by that point. But before that, Slott was ON FIRE and was writing some of the best Spidey stories in YEARS, IMO. If we can get the Dan Slott from from the FIRST 5 years or so of his Spider-Man run back to do some minis or one-shots, I would definitely be cool with that. But since he did spend almost 10 years on the the flagship book and on the character, I think it's time for him to move on and give other writers a chance to leave their stamp on the book and the character.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 01-12-2022 at 08:25 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

The dude wrote the book for the better part of a decade, I've more than had my fill.

It's the same reason I'm not clamoring for a Bendis New Avengers Revival or Claremont getting to spearhead the next era of the X-Books. Regardless of how I feel about their runs or them individually, they more than enough got to leave their thumbprints on the franchises already.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I really enjoyed Slott's work. He had a lot of big fun memorable ideas. Really enjoyed Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth, Spider-Verse, and even Clone Conspiracy (I like heroes turning into villains, also he had cool presence as a villain). I also fully enjoyed showing Spider-Man succeeding in ways besides getting married, becoming a scientist, a doctor, and starting his own company. All good things that should have sticked. The end of the run with Peter working for the bugle was really hard to read but then Go Down Swinging turned things around.

Let the guy write other stuff though. We've only gotten like two new runs.. Spencer and Beyond. (Was far more disappointed in Spencer's run BTW than with Slott's.) Maybe...JUST MAYBE he could be an editor. After all with all the complaints about lack of editing these days, it'd probably be best to let a seasoned creator actually become one. Just make sure he's writing some sort of comic still.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Stan Lee definitey wasn't keeping up with youth considering he made a fun character like MJ and expected her to not be liked lol.

Yeah, Slott being confined to more strict rules of what to do might be why I find his work that takes place in the past generally better than his ASM run lol.

Wrong name buddy, I don't think Slott was even writing comic books by the time Mr. Sinister was created .
    Mr. Negative/Martin Li was created by Dan Slott in 2007.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Yep. ASM vol. 3 and ASM vol. 4 were some of the worse Spidey comics ever written and I was DEFINTELY ready for Slott to leave the book by that point. But before that, Slott was ON FIRE and was writing some of the best Spidey stories in YEARS, IMO. If we can get the Dan Slott from from the FIRST 5 years or so of his Spider-Man run back to do some minis or one-shots, I would definitely be cool with that. But since he did spend almost 10 years on the the flagship book and on the character, I think it's time for him to move on and give other writers a chance to leave their stamp on the book and the character.
    Slott should had been gone after his run on The Superior Spider-Man, which was his best work in a fan fiction fashion.