Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Slott should had been gone after his run on The Superior Spider-Man, which was his best work in a fan fiction fashion.
    I think you hit the nail on the head- fine, for some people, but in a fan fiction way. When he brought back Stunner in that comic, or had Felicia confront Ock, or have him bond with Venom, he wasn't telling a story; he was checking things off a list and saying "ooh look how clever I am! Only SLOTT is brilliant enough to think of this" A one-sided raspberry at the people who don't like him online, is what it felt like at times. He... declares plot points in a loud fashion rather than let them happen naturally in a story. It's the opposite or verisimilitude or immersion, it's like fan fiction by someone with good ideas who doesn't understand the mechanics of storytelling, just read too many comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    according to you
    Yes, that's how opinion works. Including yours.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head- fine, for some people, but in a fan fiction way. When he brought back Stunner in that comic, or had Felicia confront Ock, or have him bond with Venom, he wasn't telling a story; he was checking things off a list and saying "ooh look how clever I am! Only SLOTT is brilliant enough to think of this" A one-sided raspberry at the people who don't like him online, is what it felt like at times. He... declares plot points in a loud fashion rather than let them happen naturally in a story. It's the opposite or verisimilitude or immersion, it's like fan fiction by someone with good ideas who doesn't understand the mechanics of storytelling, just read too many comics.
    And you just hit the nail on the head.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Mr. Negative/Martin Li was created by Dan Slott in 2007.
    You originally wrote Mr. Sinister

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    read slower; it helps with understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I really enjoyed Slott's work. He had a lot of big fun memorable ideas. Really enjoyed Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth, Spider-Verse, and even Clone Conspiracy (I like heroes turning into villains, also he had cool presence as a villain). I also fully enjoyed showing Spider-Man succeeding in ways besides getting married, becoming a scientist, a doctor, and starting his own company. All good things that should have sticked. The end of the run with Peter working for the bugle was really hard to read but then Go Down Swinging turned things around.

Let the guy write other stuff though. We've only gotten like two new runs.. Spencer and Beyond. (Was far more disappointed in Spencer's run BTW than with Slott's.) Maybe...JUST MAYBE he could be an editor. After all with all the complaints about lack of editing these days, it'd probably be best to let a seasoned creator actually become one. Just make sure he's writing some sort of comic still.
    Pretty much agree with everything here.

Slott should had been gone after his run on The Superior Spider-Man, which was his best work in a fan fiction fashion.
    No offense, Darth, but this feels a wee bit hypocritical

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    To be fair, one thing you said wasn't an opinion -- you claimed there was "near-consensus" about Slott. I can't imagine that's something any of us know, especially considering the general rule about people who shout the loudest, y'know? Just because a bunch of mooks on Twitter hate Slott and his work doesn't mean there's near-consensus. How many people were quietly enjoying his work, who perhaps never visit a message board or use Twitter? (I have to imagine a few still exist ).

Plus, didn't the title sell really well while he was the writer? I know Spidey always sells pretty well anyway, but wasn't he often like the #1 comic of the month?

All I know is this: some of you younger pups are lucky you weren't around when John Byrne relaunched the Spidey books! He literally wrote a couple of issues simply to shut up fans about a storyline we wanted to see explained that he had no interest in (i.e. the 5th Green Goblin). He was the worst.

-Pav, who's going to go read the new Darkhawk issue now...
    Last edited by Pav; 01-12-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Amazing Member

Mary Jane would cheat on Peter with Wolverine in Slott’s first issue back. “Fans love reading about the ‘Parker Luck!’ It makes Peter relatable!”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Slott was so bad that he wrote a flagship, worldwide icon, AAA character that TWO multi-billion dollar conglomerates have been fighting for the past 3 decades, and whose ideas have been directly the impetus for billion dollar film franchises for nearly a decade.

Come on people get a grip.
    Exactly. He had such a long run on Amazing Spider-Man because it consistently sold well. He regularly introduced new hooks and characters for spin-off series and several of his stories, characters and concepts have been used in movies, cartoons, video games and merchandise. It was a success on the publishing side, and added things of value to the series as a whole.

Astonishing Member

Slott seems interested in returning to the Spider-Man franchise. He has plenty of stories to tell. I have this reoccurring dream that Slott will become the next Spider-Editor over seeing the Spider-Titles? Would anyone want to see Slott return as Editor?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/...ated-accounts/
    Rubbish. He had no more juice in the tank and that's why he left the book in the first place. In fact, he stayed years longer than he should have. He spun his wheels to the point he was down to the rims.

We need someone new. Or someone who hasn't had an extended Spidey run before.

But what if he wrong a Psylocke X Spider-Man mini?
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Anyway, forum hysterics aside, Slott wrote some great stuff and Slott wrote some meh stuff. Superior Spider-Man was a truly great outside-of-the-box moment. No One Dies is a modern classic. His work is now solidly cemented in the Spider-Man mythos with Spider-Verse in particular crossing over into the animated and live-action medium. But other people should run with the ball a bit, so give him a mini to play with or something.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 01-13-2022 at 04:36 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

To be fair, one thing you said wasn't an opinion -- you claimed there was "near-consensus" about Slott. I can't imagine that's something any of us know, especially considering the general rule about people who shout the loudest, y'know? Just because a bunch of mooks on Twitter hate Slott and his work doesn't mean there's near-consensus. How many people were quietly enjoying his work, who perhaps never visit a message board or use Twitter? (I have to imagine a few still exist ).

Plus, didn't the title sell really well while he was the writer? I know Spidey always sells pretty well anyway, but wasn't he often like the #1 comic of the month?

All I know is this: some of you younger pups are lucky you weren't around when John Byrne relaunched the Spidey books! He literally wrote a couple of issues simply to shut up fans about a storyline we wanted to see explained that he had no interest in (i.e. the 5th Green Goblin). He was the worst.

-Pav, who's going to go read the new Darkhawk issue now...
    FYI I'm the one who wrote the "near-consensus" thing which he jumped on, but didn't clap back at him. FWIW I don't think one sentence can be used to invalidate an entire argument, even though that seems to be par for the course in our times. Call it "ran the franchise into the ground" instead and we're back where we started in opinion, but I do think it's objective he's not a very good writer at all. I get it, some people like his stuff and don't mind, but I'd rather have Alan Moore writing the same ideas well and just not agreeing with him. I'm afraid I felt like I was getting dumber by the minute reading Slott's stuff. Every other word was "Bah!" and "Parker Luck."

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    FYI I'm the one who wrote the "near-consensus" thing which he jumped on, but didn't clap back at him. FWIW I don't think one sentence can be used to invalidate an entire argument, even though that seems to be par for the course in our times. Call it "ran the franchise into the ground" instead and we're back where we started in opinion, but I do think it's objective he's not a very good writer at all. I get it, some people like his stuff and don't mind, but I'd rather have Alan Moore writing the same ideas well and just not agreeing with him. I'm afraid I felt like I was getting dumber by the minute reading Slott's stuff. Every other word was "Bah!" and "Parker Luck."
    Wasn't trying to invalidate an entire argument. But saying "I do think it's objective he's not a very good writer at all" -- well, that's not how objectivity works. If something is objectively true, there's essentially no room for discussion or a variety of legitimate opinions. Perspectives on art, books, comics -- these things are by their very nature subjective.

I apologize for being nitpicky, but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. But, to borrow your phrase, it does seem par for the course in our times for people to treat their subjective opinions as objective fact.

No big deal though, obviously -- and hey, if you don't like Slott's work, there's nothing wrong with that! But I like quite a lot of it, and others do too.

-Pav, who hopes you have an excellent Thursday...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Going to keep this short and sweet. No, never, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Anyway, forum hysterics aside, Slott wrote some great stuff and Slott wrote some meh stuff. Superior Spider-Man was a truly great outside-of-the-box moment. No One Dies is a modern classic. His work is now solidly cemented in the Spider-Man mythos with Spider-Verse in particular crossing over into the animated and live-action medium. But other people should run with the ball a bit, so give him a mini to play with or something.
    This. I actually loved everything he wrote, up until Superior Spider-Man ended with a dud. It was downhill from there, and that's when he started feeling like he didn't love Spider-Man as much as he proclaimed and instead was just bored with him (the PETER aspect of Spidey in particular) and was just checking off boxes on a "To Do" before he moved on to his next project. It's also when he went WAY too far with the tech and the new science job stuff and it started to look and feel like he was just using Pete/Spidey and ASM as a practice ground for a run on Iron Man, which is what he DID move onto as soon as he left ASM. That pretty much confirmed that he was already over Pete/Spidey and was basically just lazily writing him as Tony/Iron Man, which sadly, eventually even transferred over into the MCU Spidey movies.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 01-13-2022 at 11:10 AM.

I will say that MOST of Slott's run was better than Spencer's boring, focused on everybody BUT Peter/Spidey, overly intricate, "3 years worth of 2-4 issues of a month were all ONE big, long story" run. I hope we get some stabilty at the writer position soon and actually get back to having ASM feel like the great, flagship title for Marvel's flagship character that it's supposed to be.