Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel Voices: Iceman Infinity Comic #4 [The End]: Bobby Literally Freezes Time!

Los Angeles, California. Captain America, Black Panther, and Iron Man are in the middle of a fight against Tyros, "a former herald of Galactus with a penchant for world domination." They are losing. Tyros reveals, "A single speck of the Black Winter gives me power beyond all measure!" (See Thor [2020] #1-6.) He asserts, "The UNIVERSAL ALL-DEATH will inevitably come," after which he thrashes Thor and Captain Marvel.

Suddenly: The Silver Surfer and Bobby fly into the action. "Brother Defender," Silver Surfer says to Bobby, "We ride together at last. Tyros must be separated from the Black Winter particle." "Don't worry, World's Greatest Heroes! I've got this," assures Bobby, suggesting, "You guys should really call me more often," before Tyros attacks him and the Silver Surfer.

Bobby fights back, but Tyros seemingly gets the upper hand, freezing and breaking his arms with the Black Winter. However, Bobby instantly reconstructs his arms and asserts, "I am the Omega. And I will freeze time itself to stop you in your tracks, you overgrown snowbird!" He lunges at Tyros and thinks to himself, "'Omega-level' means no upper limit to my mutant power. I let it all flow through me. More than ever before. ... Space-time freezes around me at a quantum level. An existential cold beyond the logics of hydrokinesis or thermodynamics. Mutant magic? Or something else entirely?"

As Bobby extracts, presumably, the "speck of Black Winter" from Tyros' third-eye region, he asks himself, "All this for a single snow crystal?" However, he doesn't stop there. "Let's seal it in absolute zero. Iceman saves the world. But at what cost?" he asks himself. "I pushed too far. I can't stop this cold. And I don't feel a thing. Who said no limits is a good thing? What have I done to myself?"

South Pole. Days later... Northstar and Firestar approach an ice castle. Firestar conducts a debriefing, "Okay, team. This is a rescue mission. Reality is freezing in a close range around Bobby, so he retreated away from everyone. Not even our telepaths can communicate with him—all they can read is that he's in shock. He needs his Amazing Friends. Are we ready?" Firestar and Northstar clasp hands, and the latter responds, "To combine lightspeed and starheat to try to cancel out his power aura, even if it kills us? For Otter-Pop, yeah." And that's precisely what they do—weaken the "freezing aura"—before sending Christian into the ice castle.

Inside the castle, Christian approaches Bobby, who is surprised. "Christian?! You're...here?" Christian clarifies, "Well, technically not. My psionic astral projection is. In this case...I'm just the messenger." Suddenly, Romeo emerges from Christian's astral form. "Hi, Bobby," he says. "You really went literal with the emotional barriers this time, huh?" Before Bobby can finish asking how Romeo is there, Christian chimes in, "Did I pull a Frost family classic and invade your privacy to contact your ex and hit a soft spot? Sorrynotsorry. See you outside."

After Christian leaves, Bobby says to Romeo, "You have to go back to safety. Everyone needs to stay away. This is too dangerous. I am too dangerous." Rome places his hand on Bobby's face and says, "I know you got this. Give me your eyes and listen closely. I'm going to use my empathic power on you, and I want you to feel fully...to know unquestionably, in every cell of your being...that what I'm about to say is true: You. Are. Loved." Suddenly, Bobby is thawed and the ice castle shatters.

Outside, a shockwave sends Northstar and Firestar spinning. Christian asks, "D-did he do it? Did it work?" Nearby, Romeo cradles Bobby, who is sobbing. "It's okay. You're okay now. Everything's okay now," Romeo assures him, holding him tight.

Los Angeles. Bobby notes to himself, over a scene of him, presumably, at a Pride celebration, dancing with nothing but shorts and a harness on, "I cried my ice out. Like I had never cried before in my life. It felt like unlocking a whole new mutation. We too often abuse the term "human" to refer to non-mutants. I think we end up denying ourselves of our own humanity. Of our right to live fully, beyond our struggles and fights. At least I know I did. And I deserve better.

Later, Bobby meets up with Daemond (see issue #3), who apologizes to him. "I'm sorry about all that mess with Loki..." Bobby assures him, "It's good. I'm just glad Christian was able to help you." Bobby and Daemond hug. Bobby continues his narration: "We all [deserve better]. It doesn't always make sense."

Bobby is then shown crying with his mother and holding her hand as they both stare at his father's grave. "I'm not sure what I mean by this," says Bobby, "but I don't want to keep thinking of myself as a different species from my own family."

Later, Bobby and Romeo meet up. "Progress is anything but linear," Bobby says in his narration. Romeo asks, "One date at a time, and see where it goes?" Bobby says, "I can work with that."

Bobby concludes his narration over scenes of him sliding across Los Angeles: "Sometimes, [progress] is more like my ice slides...full of ups...and downs...and spins and twirls...but always, always moving forward. And I'm here for the ride!"

The end!
    Last edited by Mercury; 06-22-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

My rambling summary is a bit late, but I just couldn't see this fabulous miniseries end without giving it a proper sendoff. This was beautifully and thoughtfully done by Luciano Vecchio, who obviously has tons of love and respect for Bobby. Also, I love how he cited older issues like the comics of yore.

I also think Vecchio was given the okay to establish and reestablish Bobby's dynamics with Northstar and Firestar because all three or joining the X-Men...
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

ALRIGHT BOBBY!!!! go ahead! BOY!!! I'm so happy for him.

Tbh I'd rather have Vecchio write an Iceman series than have him on the X-Men team. It'd be cool to see him interact with his friends at large, but I'm fine with a character being quarantined to a small book if it means getting such quality writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I'd like to see Northstar and Firestar become friends. That's all.

This was the best Unlimited Comic I’ve read.

It’s cool to see Bobby interacting with non X characters again. Was this the first time Midnight’s Fire has been in an “X book”?

Is this the first time Christian has used his powers?

I’d love to see this series continue.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    My rambling summary is a bit late, but I just couldn't see this fabulous miniseries end without giving it a proper sendoff. This was beautifully and thoughtfully done by Luciano Vecchio, who obviously has tons of love and respect for Bobby. Also, I love how he cited older issues like the comics of yore.

I also think Vecchio was given the okay to establish and reestablish Bobby's dynamics with Northstar and Firestar because all three or joining the X-Men...
    Firestar, maybe. But he said he wanted to show that JP and Julio were still part of Bobby's friend circle after The X-Tremists because he liked the dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Is this the first time Christian has used his powers?
    Purposefully, I think. Outside Iceman’s solo, I think Christian has basically been background.

Also, now Bobby can freeze time……this definitely creates a new outlook of how powerful Bobby can be now that his powers range outside of moisture and temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Also, now Bobby can freeze time……this definitely creates a new outlook of how powerful Bobby can be now that his powers range outside of moisture and temperature.
    He previously slowed down the speed of light in his last solo... But yeah, this is a big jump

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Tyros is way better known as Terrax the Tamer, just for those who wanted to know.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Mighty Member

Looks interesting and important but Marvel should really put this story into one of the main X-books instead of this unknown title called Marvel Voices.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Looks interesting and important but Marvel should really put this story into one of the main X-books instead of this unknown title called Marvel Voices.
    They will need to make it worth the money of the people who joined Marvel Unlimited./ So I have no problem with it. I honestly think this story is a fun read, but not important.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Mighty Member

This was a good story with a lot of heart that did a nice job with Bobby's development.

I can also now see why the X-Men title is a better book for him than X-Men Red, after this.

GO AWF BOOOOBY! From slushies to quantum freezing
    Such a yassification.

IMG_20220614_081909.jpg

Its very deserved. Hope His future writers keeps him at this level of development all round.