Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    How is it possible that Noto and Baldeon could show up on a “least favourite artists” list?? Did I wake up in a parallel universe? I don’t know what anything is anymore.
    They both have a very specific style so it makes sense that it's gonna be a bit polarizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Favorite Hero/Heroine of the year

We have a lot of favorites polls on this board, almost each week someone will post one and we know what characters are love. But every year some stand out a bit more than others. Some got some great focus, made an awesome development or were brought back to us in an awesome way. There are still those who will vote for their all time favorites, even if they did not, or did barely appear. That is why next year this category will change into 'Hero with the most outstanding performances' But that is then, this is now, so back to this election , who was the best character of 2021? Was it the leaders of the quiet counsil, one of the characters who created Planet Arokko, or one of The Five? See now who were the ones that became as our favorites this year.

NUMBER 1
    STORM

With 41 points and 6 number one votes

The ruler of Arokko, Queen of Sol, Windrider, Godess, whatever you want to call her these days, Ororo had a fantastic year and probably the one X-Man with the biggest developments. You can say it was Storm's year for sure and 2022 looks promising for her as well, as she takes the leading role in X-Men Red.

NUMBER 2
    KWANNON

With 37 points and 5 number one votes

Another X-woman who received a lot of focus, the new Psylocke, or how we rather call her Kwannon. She had the leading part of the most favorite ongoing series of the last two years and she was one of the stars of the Hellions. Now promoted to one of the captains of Krakoa, not shy to speak her mind and moving to a another ongoing in 2022, we have not seen the last of her.

NUMBER 3
    EMMA FROST

With 26 points and 4 number one votes

Emma Frost, the beautiful and sexy diva of the X-Men, who will always make a birtchy remark if she gets the change was given the chance to organize the event of the year and did she not look stunning in all these gala costumes? Now handing over her duties to the Cuckoos and Lourdes, she will have more time to focus on her role within the quiet Counsel and will without a doubt be one of the stars on the upcoming Immortal X-Men series.

Runners up were Cypher and Cyclops.
    X-Women really run the world. Thanks for doing this Master of Sound

Favorite Hero/Heroine of the year

NUMBER 2
    KWANNON

With 37 points and 5 number one votes

Another X-woman who received a lot of focus, the new Psylocke, or how we rather call her Kwannon. She had the leading part of the most favorite ongoing series of the last two years and she was one of the stars of the Hellions. Now promoted to one of the captains of Krakoa, not shy to speak her mind and moving to a another ongoing in 2022, we have not seen the last of her.

[/B]
    Least Favorite Hero/Heroine of the year

You have heroes who were once favorites, but were written in such a way that we lost the love for them and others, we just never cared for at all. Many years Glob Herman ended up in this top 3 and now he did get a well needed break from the x-books. Who else could do with such a break according to you? Well the winner was the least favorite last year as well, so I guess he needs to go on a long vacation as well.

NUMBER 1
    BEAST

With 75 points and 15 times voted as number 1

Like the year before Hank has won again as the least favorite hero. The was he is always in the gray areas is not really an issue, but the way he hurts and betrays his friends in the process and still considers himself a hero, makes us dislike him.

NUMBER 2
    KID OMEGA

With 36 points and 8 number one votes

Thanks to Glob not getting any focus this year, Quintin was gained a spot and last years number 3 is now on spot number 2. I actually like his current development and his romance with Phoebe. But I think Kid Omega just became one of the kids on the X-Men people on this board once decided to hate and it might take a lot for those to change their minds.

NUMBER 3
    CAPTAIN BRITTAIN (BETSY)

With 26 points and twice voted as number one

It might not come as a surprise if you kept an eye on this forum. Betsy had downgraded in the eyes of the fans. We just do not like a character being the main focus of a team book while the rest of the cast only play a minor role, with the sole purpose of letting their favorite pet shine. We have some awesome characters on Excalibur, but it was all about Betsy. Let us hope Knights of X takes some of that focus to the other stars of the book.

Runner up was Wolverine
    Thank you for doing this awards vote every year Master of Sound.
    I havent been stopping by the forum as often lately, so I havent commented on any of the results so far. Rather than go over all of the old results that have been revealed so far, I think that I will just stick to talking about the recent ones.

Firstly, I was glad to see that Kwannon ranked so high in favorite hero catagory. I voted her number one, if I remember correctly.

As for the least favorite heroes my thoughts are these:

Beast has gone from being a morally grey character to outright villain. He probably should have been listed in the favorite villains catagory. The way that he hurts innocent people is appaling.

I have never read Quintin Quire in a hero role that I liked reading about him in. He just hasn't been that compelling to read about in my opinion. My favorite stories involving him had him in a villain role during the Morrison run on New X-Men. In my opinion, Quintin is best off as an omega powered villain who fights the X-Men in a big story every five years or so. Sort of like a Cassandra Nova or Onslaught type.

And then there is the most interesting character on the list in Captain Britain (Betsy). I know that every one loves Hellions. I voted it number #1. And I also know that on this forumat least that I am in the minority in that I enjoy Excalibur. So maybe that iswhy Kwannon is becoming popular while Betsy is becoming less popular in these parts.

But, is it possible that the rankings of Kwannon and Betsy are also proof that it really was the Asian body alone that helped keep Betsy so popular for so long, and now that she has gone back to the British body she is no longer as well liked and some may consider her to be boring?
    Personally, Iwas glad that Betsy went back to being caucasian and Kwannon went back to being Asian. But, it doesnt seem to be doing Betsy any good on this forum.
    And, yes, I realise that this forum is just a small sample of the larger X-Men readership. I just think it is interesting to see the characters popularity go in this direction on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    But, is it possible that the rankings of Kwannon and Betsy are also proof that it really was the Asian body alone that helped keep Betsy so popular for so long, and now that she has gone back to the British body she is no longer as well liked and some may consider her to be boring?
    Personally, Iwas glad that Betsy went back to being caucasian and Kwannon went back to being Asian. But, it doesnt seem to be doing Betsy any good on this forum.
    And, yes, I realise that this forum is just a small sample of the larger X-Men readership. I just think it is interesting to see the characters popularity go in this direction on this forum.
    It is an interesting case study and I think it will come up even more in the future as the character of Kwannon is further explored. Also if Psylocke is introduced in the MCU it certainly won't be as a British woman in a Asian body. That's the kind of stuff that was ordinary in 90s comics but definitely won't fly in the today's climate and for good reason.
    That being said it certainly helped with her popularity. Denying it is crazy at this point. There is a reason why it was done in the first place and then kept for so long despite it being wrong on so many levels.

I tend to dislike or flat out turn on my favourites if they get over used or become the obvious writer's pet and the rest of the characters become wallpaper. Mike Carey got me to turn on Rogue, Brubaker/Fraction got me hating Cyclops even more than normal, Howard got me disliking Psylocke. I've turned on Wolverine off and on. Same with Jean. I don't like Cable but find X-Force very interesting. I will admit that Psylocke not being a cool, sexy, ninja in a bathing suit kind of made me like her less.

Betsy appropriating/stealing other people's mantles/bodies/identities without earning them then whining about her own problems is why I don't like her anymore. Insult to injury is when those she's stolen from are actively belittled and ridiculed for wanting what's rightfully theirs back. A List characters being trapped in what should be her solo only makes me dislike her even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post

And then there is the most interesting character on the list in Captain Britain (Betsy). I know that every one loves Hellions. I voted it number #1. And I also know that on this forumat least that I am in the minority in that I enjoy Excalibur. So maybe that iswhy Kwannon is becoming popular while Betsy is becoming less popular in these parts.

There are definitley legit critcisims of how she's been written in Excalibur, but I think a lage part of the current dislike is largely based on how much page time she takes up in Excalibur compared to others. It makes no difference to me as I've never liked Gambit or Jubilee for example, but it makes total sense if you are a fan of one of those two as she is by far the main character of what is allegedly an ensemble book.

I loved Outback Era Betsy and Mystery in Madripoor was the first time I'd had any interest in the character for years at that point and I honestly think Howard's Betsy is the most interesting the character has been since Claremont.

I also love the Alan Moore Captain Britain stuff so it's wild to see her history with Tom Lennox being mentioned never mind shown on panel.

Extraordinary Member

I've read very little of Excalibur. Never been a fan of Betsy, Gambit, or Jubilee, but I never really disliked any of them. It was the issue where Betsy and Brian got their swords for X of Swords which made me dislike Betsy for the first time. It was the worst issue of the entire event and really made Betsy seem like a jerk. Before that I was just indifferent. I had some interest in her early appearances from Mutants annual 2 until the outback era, but once the body-swapping and ninja elements kick in she stops being a character in my eyes and becomes just fanservice not worth caring about one away or another. If her development was more natural things would be different, but it wasn't.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

For me E$xcalibur was almost never on my favorites list, even way back with the very first team. I did start to like and buy the series at the very end, when Daytripper and Colossus had joined. But that did only last for 2 years I thinkl and then the series ended.

You know WHEN I loved Excalibur? When the Excalibur series was launched, with Xavier, Archangel, Callisto and new comers like Hub and Shola. Even the series after that with Pete Wisdom, Dazzler and Juggernaurt I liked a lot. Sadly both these volumes did not last long.

I do not like the current series, though I must admit it was (very) slowly getting better. I like the Otherworld concept. I just do not like the ancient UK stuff.

Regarding Betsy, she can be very very cool in het UK-body, as she was awesome in the Outback period. That armor look and her character were fantastic. Now she is back being non Asian, she should be more like a mix between that and how Revanche was portraited. Now THAT would be marvelous.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Favorite Villain or Villain Team

What is a good story without a great threat? Those threats mostly come from villains and OMG, some villains were written in a great way. We did get the return of 2019 villains Omega Sentinel and Orchis and a brand new Nimrod. Also we did get the long awaited return from the Children of the vault and some oldies that never seem to bore us. Sad thing we did not see the number two of last year, White Sword return, hope he will return the upcoming year.

NUMBER 1
    MR. SINISTER

With 80 points and 17 number one votes

Well well well, didn't the Hellions do very well this year? Second year in a row that Nathaniel Essex has won this category. He is just sick, isn't he? Last year he did win as well, but this year he almost doubled the amount of votes and number one spots. Very curious what Mister Sinister has up his sleeves the upcoming year.

NUMBER 2
    CHILDREN OF THE VAULT

With 44 points and 7 times votes as number 1

After being missed for so many years, they have returned,. Though they barely spoke, we loved their comeback, which started last year. We are still missing some very interesting Children though, but I seem to be the only one who is longing for them, as I rarely see anybody talking about Cadena, Luz, Olvido, and others. Seeing they only focus only on the 5 first ones and reincarnate them over and over, guess I will not get my wish granted.

NUMBER 3
    TARN THE UNCARING

With 39 points and 6 number one votes

The moist interesting villain from Arokko we have seen this year is without a doubt Tarn. He is leading Locus Vile, a team with really weird mutants from Arokko, but he is quite a threat without the others. A mutant/daemon hybrid with magic powers, who can also manipulate the genes of mutants is definitely a villain to be afraid of.

Runner up: Omega Sentinel Karima
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-17-2022 at 07:38 AM.

Least Favorite Villain or Villain Team

For every well written, or popular villain, there s one we do not like as such, in fact, some we simply hate to the core (I just wanted to sound a bit dramatic today). Last year we had the top 3 with Homines Verendi, Hordeculture and Apoch. Good news is, we did not see much of them this year. Will it go the same for the ones of 2021. Well sorry to tell, but with two of them we are still in the middle of their attacks on the mutants of Krakoa, so I guess we will need to keep up with them a bit longer.

NUMBER 1
    MERLYN

With 35 points and 3 number 1 votes

Merlyn could have been an interesting villain, but he never was actually and still is not. His motives are the same as always, more power and no real character development over the years. Who else would be a better Otherworld villain. Mad Jim will most of you likely recommend. Or is there another who could make fighting for Otherworld be more interesting?

NUMBER 2
    NATURE GIRL

With 25 points and 5 times votes as number one

Well, here is one character who definitely had some major developments this year and oh heck, .... only a few weirdos liked that change. She has always stood up for nature and animals, but was never so violent and no, she was not under the influence of Mesmero or Malice. He became a radical. Put in the pit for punishment with her sidekick Curse. She was grated freedom by Cypher and Krakoa, what is next for them?

NUMBER 3
    MIKHAIL RASPUTIN

With twice nominated as number one

Mikhail, why do you still have no code name? For no obvious reason, he stole the Cerebro Sword (which no one has noticed so far) and gave it to the unnamed Xeno leader who is going to use it for,... oh we don't know and then just returned home, where he used another mutant to make his brother murder his girlfriend. Again, not with any good motivation. Has Mikhail actually ever been interesting to people? I still have to meet his first fan.

Runners up: Curse and Fenris

Comeback of the Year

Over the years writers have created fantastic characters, one better then others of course. You have those who were really missed by many for long periods of time and then, suddenly one writer likes them as much as you do and brings them back into the spotlight for them to shine once again like a bright star. We saw many heroes and villains make a comeback this year. They were once amongst the dead, or were in limbo for years and they came back in a big way. We saw many old villains return, like Mikhail, Destiny and the Hell's Belles but also some long dead X-kids, like Rubber maid, DJ and Dust. Who were your favorites?

NUMBER 1
    DESTINY

With 46 points and 11 times voted as number one

Good old Destiny, she fuinally made it back to the land of the living, even though some high ranking Counsel members did everything to stop it. Irene Adler is back and she is less mellow as we knew her and way more violent and aggressive. But there is also another change, she has returned way younger as well, good for Raven, right? Now a new member of the Quiet Counsel, she will play a more prominent role in X-Men history than she ever did before.

NUMBER 2
    SUNFIRE
    With 28 points and 5 number one votes

Our Japanese mutant is finally where people wanted him to be: As an X-Men member once more. It has been decades since the last time Shiro was an X-Man, just because he did not want to be one. Now he is back and we love it. Let us hope he gets some good focus in the current volume as he deserves it.

NUMBER 3
    TEMPO

With 26 points and 4 times voted as number one

Proving to you all that every vote matters, as this was a very close call to the number two spot. One more number one vote and it might have tipped the scales. Tempo, the former MLF member who was a running candidate to become an X-Man and actually one of the favorites of that position on this board. Heather made an impression and, good news, she will be a regular on the Marauders in 2022, so Heather seems to be here for a bit longer.

Runner up: Wiz-Kid

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    I tend to dislike or flat out turn on my favourites if they get over used or become the obvious writer's pet and the rest of the characters become wallpaper. Mike Carey got me to turn on Rogue, Brubaker/Fraction got me hating Cyclops even more than normal, Howard got me disliking Psylocke. I've turned on Wolverine off and on. Same with Jean. I don't like Cable but find X-Force very interesting. I will admit that Psylocke not being a cool, sexy, ninja in a bathing suit kind of made me like her less.
    Betsy was a top 10 character for me before this book. Even Rictor was a favorite but I just found him to be insufferable after a while.
    Make Good Art

Breakout Star of the Year

Which characters made the jump to the forefront of the X-Men comics this year? Skirting the edge of, had exciting focus, or developments? Last year we had a winner in Sinister who became a central figure of the Quiet Counsil and of course on his Hellions. This years winner is one who came back from the past 2 years ago and has now been rewarded with a captains position. Two of her former team mates also were rewarded.

NUMBER 1
    KWANNON

With 36 points and 6 number one votes

This is the 2nd number one award Kwannon has won this year, well done. She was the leader of the Hellions and despite all the personal drama she had to face, like losing the last hope of her (still unnamed daughter) to be reborn, Kwannon was able to keep this band of outcast together. After Gorgon became unable to fulfill his duties, she became a member of the Great Captains of Krakoa in his place and she is not afraid to open her mouth to alpha X-Men like Emma.

NUMBER 2
    NANNY and SYNCH
    With 35 points and 3 (Nanny) and 2 (Synch) number 1 votes

Nanny had a fantastic breakout this year, her character has been ever since they brought her back in the X-verse and make here a member of the Hellions. Synch was resurrected last year and promoted this year to become one of the core X-Men team. His adventure in The Vault brought some special focus on Everett.

NUMBER 3
    GREYCROW

With 23 points and there were 3 number one voters

John Greycrow, formaly known as Scalphunter is no Marauder anymore, he became part of the Hellions in 2019 and had some great developments. At the end of the series he and Kwannon seem to heads towards a romance. Hopefully we will see more of that, as the series is cancelled, who knows where John pops up next.

Runner Up: Cypher

Debut of the Year

Every new writer introduces new characters. Sometimes because it really fits the story, sometimes because they want to make their mark on the franchise and sometimes they better did not introduce their new characters at all cough-Major X-cough. This year we were introduced to small large amount of newcomers, but there were some jewels there we would love to see more of than last years winner (White Sword) who did not appear at all this year. Last year it were the Arokko newcomers who all did well, besides winner White Sword, Isca, Bei and Solem all did very well too. How is this for 2021? Well the Arokko mutants did quite well again.

NUMBER 1
    Khora of the Burning Heart
    With 51 points and 11 number 1 votes

We love the new characters of Arokko. Khora was actually introduced during Empyre: Aftermath Avengers, but ony in the shadows, she came out of in in S.W.O.R.D. as the replacement of Fabian Cortez on 'The Six'. Khora was sent on a mission to Breakworld led by Cable who saw her as a kindred spirit since they had both spent their whole lives fighting in wars.

NUMBER 2
    Sobunar of the Depths

With 33 points and 5 number one spots

As one of the Omaga mutants of Arokko Sobunar provided some of his blood to give the planet oceans with the aid of Hope Summers and Monarch. He is also a member of the Great Ring of Arakko. Just like the two other Arokko omega mutants (Xilo and Lactuca). I do wonder if he will be fighting how his powers of having a marine biological system in his body will help him though.

NUMBER 3
    Lost

With 15 points and 3 times voted as number 1

A newbie introduced in Way of X here that was killed by Magneto during Crucible to get resurrected with her powers back in place. Gravity is her thing. She has an interesting backstory and stole the hearts of quite some peeps on this board. Who knows, she might stay around and might be a background character in Legion of X.

Runners up: Arokkon Lactuca and Gimmick, from the Children of the Atom

Favorite Mutant on the Cast of a non-X-book

Usually there are more participants in this category, but the Avengers no longer have mutants amoung their crew(s) and also former Alpha Flight members did not appear anymore on the Captain Marvel series. So there were only a few, but enough to make this great top 3. I dis hope the Winter Guard had more fans, but except one, the others barely received any love. I do hope next year will have more mutants on the other Marvel books.

NUMBER 1
    NAMOR

With 27 points and 4 number 1 votes

As you can see at the scores, the people who voted were divided a lot, but former X-Man Namor won for his work on Invaders and the mini Atlantis Attacks. With close contacts with the Avengers, FF, Defenders and Agents of Atlas, I am sure we will see the Lord of the Seven Seas again soon.

NUMBER 2
    BRUISER

With 26 points and 4 number one votes

Last year Molly ended at number 1 in this category. This year she was still part of the Runaways title. After the Runaways returned to the Hostel with their morale battered after being on the J-Team, Molly briefly inquired into the island nation of Krakoa and aided Wolverine and Pixie in helping a mutant in need. Later she returned to her team mates.

NUMBER 3
    POWERHOUSE

With 17 points and 3 times votes as numero uno

Franklin Richards, aka Powerhouse did keep on visiting Krakoa after the FF and X-Men set aside their differences. But this year also had a big change, he found out that his mutant status had been a result of his powers subconsciously altering his anatomy in a cellular level. Now with his mutant powers gone, Franklin is no longer a mutant.