Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Green Lantern Corps Appreciation 2022

“In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light.”

Everyone's got a favorite in the Corps, because the GLC is awesome and expansive. So respect all opinions and be excellent to each other.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Happy New Year to the GLC .

I think I may be the only person who scans every GLC group shot for G'Nort. It's like my own private litmus test for whether artists are taking the whole concept too seriously

Ooh, here's a project I don't want to do - ranking established GLC members by numbers of comic appearances (not just crowd scenes, but actual speaking bits). I mean, there's the obvious ones:

Hal
    Kyle
    John
    Guy
    Jessica
    Simon
    Arisia
    Katma
    Kilowog
    Ch'p
    Salak
    G'Nort
    Soranik
    Sodam Yat
    Tomar Re
    Tomar Tu
    Mogo
    Sinestro (even only counting his GL appearances, there's a lot)

After that, the numbers start dropping off. Here's bunch of well-known ones who, over the years, have accrued a lot of quality panel time:
    Flodo Span
    Stel
    Arkkis Chummuck
    Driq
    Galius Zed
    Medphyll
    Rot Lop Fan
    Chaselon
    All those cool ones Morrison added in his recent run

I think it would be interesting to get a handle on the GL's (praticularly the alien ones) that have gotten the most in-comic attention over the years.

Okay, I couldn't resist.

It looks like, on first blush, of the non-human GL's, these are the most-visible:

1) Kilowog (by a really wide margin... like, 200 more appearances than the second place GL).
    2) Arisia (100+ appearances more than the third place GL... which might explain why fans are upset by her death)
    3) Mogo (may be kind of a cheat, since they appeared in a lot of establishing shots for a while... also, my use of non-gendered pronouns makes me want to write a "Mogo in Love" story)
    4) Katma Tui (not bad for a long dead character)
    5) Soranik (these may include many non-GLC appearances, though)
    6) Salakk
    After that, unless I'm forgetting someone, there's a decent drop-off (like, 40%) until you get to:
    7) Tomar-Re (dead for longer than Katma Tui... impressive)
    8) Stel
    9) Chaselon
    10) Boodikka
    11) G'Nort
    12) Tomar-Tu
    13) Medphyll
    14) Ch'p
    15) Brik

Like I said, I've probably forgotten some of them (particularly the more recent ones). I'm also not counting Sinestro, 'cause it's hard to tally him up as a GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    Speaking for myself, though I do think it's a disappointing development, I'm not really broken up by it, but it's like...You're killing the aliens and adding more and more and more and more humans that literally no one is asking for. There is something unbalanced and wrong with that picture in my view. The aliens lose relevance when there are so many humans being focused on, and so does the "special-ness" of being in the Green Lantern Corps.
    I'm not particularly broken up by her death per se, other than the lameness of it. I mean if you're going to have all the rings suddenly turn off (ignoring the well-established reserve power functions and all that), SOME GL's are gonna get caught out in space, and if you wanna make a splash, you kill off a well-known one - and who better than a GL with the second-most non-human panel time, AND former Hal Jordan girlfriend? It's dramatically fine (kind of), but just feels kind of, I dunno, cheap?

As for Arisia herself, I was always sort of lukewarm with her. She was great as the "little sister" in the GLC, learning the ropes and growing into the role. The whole business of a) having a crush on Hal, b) subconsciously aging up her body so that Hal would see her as an adult, and c) Hal actually hooking up with her really did her (and Hal) no favors. In my headcanon she had a crush on Hal, but eventually got over it and matured into a veteran GL.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Chaselon is the greatest Green Lantern. Bless that little Disco Ball Charlie Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Chaselon is the greatest Green Lantern. Bless that little Disco Ball Charlie Brown.
    pff.

Extraordinary Member

we need work on that green lantern show

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Laira is one of my faves and I'm sad she isnt really around anymore

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    pff.

DUCK DODGERS IS BUT A PRETENDER TO THE THRONE!

CHASELON IS THE ONE TRUE GOD!

Kneel before Chaselon! Bow before our mighty Crystalline Lord!

....ahem.

Kevin Smith as Hal Jordan...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    pff.

Leave it to Daffy to commit the most egregious of Green Lantern faux pas* - white boots.

* Or is it "faux paws" in these cases?

Some of my favorite GL's:

* Dkrtzy RRR - the sentient mathematical equation.
    * Perdoo - the Green Lantern who spends his off hours in a mental asylum, 'cause his planet has diagnosed "being without fear" as a mental condition.
    and, of course
    * Driq - the Green Lantern whose ring wouldn't let him die.

I'm wondering why the "full color spectrum" of the Lantern Corps couldn't have been invented before that mythology was finally inaugurated. It could have led to a lot more diverse storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm wondering why the "full color spectrum" of the Lantern Corps couldn't have been invented before that mythology was finally inaugurated. It could have led to a lot more diverse storylines.
    It is interesting why no one ever though of it before.

I mean, first you have the Green Lanterns. They sit in the middle of the color spectrum, but no one noticed it.
    The Sinestro comes along (almost immediately), with a yellow ring representing fear. Forged on Qward. But still, no one thought, "hey, what about a blue ring?"
    Carol Ferris becomes the new Star Sapphire, and the Zamoran queen. She wields violet rays, but no rings.

Time passes, and in the late 80's it's revealed that, whoah, the Zamarons are related to the Guardians.
    Oh, and the Controllers (who made the Sun-Eater) are also Guardian offshoots.

Still, even with yellow, green, and violet power rays being flung around, it takes another couple of decades before someone slaps their forehead and goes "oh, rainbows, duh!"

Of course, cramming the Zamorans into the "love" slot was a bit of a stretch. And, technically, indigo is less of a separate color, and more of something that Newton wedged into the spectrum 'cause he was a bit of a mystic who preferred things to come in 7's rather than 6's. And basing it all on the spectrum of EM radiation visible to humans is a bit naff in the first place. But still, it was a keen idea.