Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    She's in a coma, not the same. But yep. and the gauntlet is gone.
    Which means she's lost her powers. Unless they give Keli a GL ring, Teen Lantern is history.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree that it won't last, but not because it's a mess - same with Morrison's changes, or the changes that came after "Edge of Oblivion." Any of these new status quos would have been fine had DC made the next team stick with the changes, but DC clearly has no interest in continuity. They seem to like pushing Crisis stories and CPB blowing up stories that only tease lasting change. I imagine if Thorne comes back we'll get a followup, but if not we'll likely see a new team construct a new status quo all over again. (or "factory reset" to the old one with little to no explanation)
    The book ended with an announcement for John Stewart and the Emerald Knights. So it seems like Thorne will continue the story, even if the book isn't called Green Lantern.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I remember when I created a thread for either first or second issue I wrote that this run will either be great or so bad that DC will pretend that it didn't happen. And well, we'll obviously see how things play out in the future, but at the moment to me it looks like it did the impossible - it was neither great nor bad. Its kinda there.

Feels like we've kind of gone back to a New 52 Robert Venditti style GL status quo (minus the Emotional Reservoir).

(I'm expecting Jessica will get off-screened back to Green at some point).

Honestly, I don't think Redjack's defense completely contradicts too much of ShyGuy's interpretation of the impact these changes will deliver moving forward. A lot of these elements could lead to interesting storylines, or they might not. The specific number of GLs - 3600, 7200, 1000 doesn't really impact most stories. We only ever just see the ones that are the focus, and then "the rest." The GLC aren't the center of the universe - were they really ever? How many stories were really about that - we've seen people not respect the GLC's authority or we've seen them just do their thing. It's a distinction that doesn't matter unless a future writer choses to make it a part of the story. The existence of the UP has large implications, but only if someone follows up on it - similar to when the Darkstars or LEGION were around. The larger political status of the GLC doesn't impact most stories. And okay, no more Guardians - that might last awhile, but we've seen that several times before and like many of these changes, I don't think we're given enough of where these changes will go to get excited by their potential. (and as jaded comic book fans, we've seen setups that lead nowhere many times)

The status of individual GLs might have longer impact and I hope Thorne or someone follows through. The images we've seen so far of "Dark Crisis" doesn't seem like anyone will, (especially Jess and Simon) but you never know - DC lies in their promos. Kyle and Guy or Soranik just being in limbo isn't an interesting story point - it's just them being unused characters so far.

None of these changes really excite me, but I don't hate them either - to me, a lot of these changes won't inherently lead to GLC stories that we haven't seen before, but I tend to hope writers will come up with stuff that I can't imagine so I'm more in "wait and see" mode to see if they lead to a good story or two. Right now, it feels more like a new coat of paint on the family car rather than a new car - but we'll know for sure when someone takes it out for a spin. (how's that metaphor, hm...?)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-14-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Weirdly enough there is something I kind of like about the story potential of “the main power source of battery has been fundamentally altered and now it’s unclear what kind of lantern you’ll be.” Kind of lives up to the idea of the post- Blackest Night rainbow corps in a way.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Honestly, I don't think Redjack's defense completely contradicts too much of ShyGuy's interpretation of the impact these changes will deliver moving forward. A lot of these elements could lead to interesting storylines, or they might not. The specific number of GLs - 3600, 7200, 1000 doesn't really impact most stories. We only ever just see the ones that are the focus, and then "the rest." The GLC aren't the center of the universe - were they really ever? How many stories were really about that - we've seen people not respect the GLC's authority or we've seen them just do their thing. It's a distinction that doesn't matter unless a future writer choses to make it a part of the story. The existence of the UP has large implications, but only if someone follows up on it - similar to when the Darkstars or LEGION were around. The larger political status of the GLC doesn't impact most stories. And okay, no more Guardians - that might last awhile, but we've seen that several times before and like many of these changes, I don't think we're given enough of where these changes will go to get excited by their potential. (and as jaded comic book fans, we've seen setups that lead nowhere many times)

The status of individual GLs might have longer impact and I hope Thorne or someone follows through. The images we've seen so far of "Dark Crisis" doesn't seem like anyone will, (especially Jess and Simon) but you never know - DC lies in their promos. Kyle and Guy or Soranik just being in limbo isn't an interesting story point - it's just them being unused characters so far.

None of these changes really excite me, but I don't hate them either - I'm more in "wait and see" mode to see if they lead to a good story or two because to me, a lot of these changes won't inherently lead to GLC stories that we haven't seen before. (I tend to hope writers will come up with stuff that I can't imagine) Right now, it feels more like a new coat of paint on the family car rather than a new car - but we'll know for sure when someone takes is out for a spin. (how's that metaphor, hm...?)
    I think that's probably the reason why there's the changes, because you hardly ever see concepts like honor guards being explained to new readers and so on. I don't see UP going away, but I'm hoping that other writers keep everything consistent and follow through instead of ignoring what the previous writers has done.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Weirdly enough there is something I kind of like about the story potential of “the main power source of battery has been fundamentally altered and now it’s unclear what kind of lantern you’ll be.” Kind of lives up to the idea of the post- Blackest Night rainbow corps in a way.
    I don't know why but this makes me think of a character than can shift between the different Lantern Corps. depending on the situation/their personality like Ben 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think that's probably the reason why there's the changes, because you hardly ever see concepts like honor guards being explained to new readers and so on. I don't see UP going away, but I'm hoping that other writers keep everything consistent and follow through instead of ignoring what the previous writers has done.
    I'm not even sure if the Honor Guard were even still a thing that needed to be explained. I think the last few pages is the last time I've heard of them in, like, forever .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not even sure if the Honor Guard were even still a thing that needed to be explained. I think the last few pages is the last time I've heard of them in, like, forever .
    I remember when posters were questioning about what it is and what role do they play. I remember this happening when Guy Gardner got promoted as one around Peter Tomasi's run

None of these changes really excite me, but I don't hate them either - to me, a lot of these changes won't inherently lead to GLC stories that we haven't seen before, but I tend to hope writers will come up with stuff that I can't imagine so I'm more in "wait and see" mode to see if they lead to a good story or two. Right now, it feels more like a new coat of paint on the family car rather than a new car - but we'll know for sure when someone takes is out for a spin. (how's that metaphor, hm...?)
    1) I'm never "defending" anything. I explained why that poster was wrong. Not the same thing.

2) Try not be a "jaded" anything.

3) I don't write for jaded audiences.

I remember when posters were questioning about what it is and what role do they play. I remember this happening when Guy Gardner got promoted as one around Peter Tomasi's run
    Wasn't it introduced around that run anyways? I guess if you were reading the GLC and not the main GL book it might have come as a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't it introduced around that run anyways? I guess if you were reading the GLC and not the main GL book it might have come as a surprise.
    The first time I remember seeing an Honor Guard was right after Crisis.... there was that woman with the white hair and that ... plant-looking pod GL with the tendrils. (and maybe one more ... a bug GL?) I think there might have been a sash involved with their outfits. They were GLs who had no sector and were stationed on Oa as I recall. When Guy became one, they introduced the idea that Honor Guard meant they went to whatever sector they (or the G's) wanted.

That was totally off memory, so ... that might not be accurate.

The first time I remember seeing an Honor Guard was right after Crisis.... there was that woman with the white hair and that ... plant-looking pod GL with the tendrils. (and maybe one more ... a bug GL?) I think there might have been a sash involved with their outfits. They were GLs who had no sector and were stationed on Oa as I recall. When Guy became one, they introduced the idea that Honor Guard meant they went to whatever sector they (or the G's) wanted.

That's pretty close to what I remember.

I think the first time the Honor Guard showed up was in the first fight with Nekron (a few years before the Crisis). They consisted of Tomar-Re, K'ryssmia (white haired blond chick), and Apros (weird floating plant guy... although he was more squat in his first appearance). I think they all had their own sectors to patrol (Tomar-Re totally did, since he was in Krypton's sector... it was a whole thing), but as Honor Guard members they were allowed to go from sector to sector more casually than the rest of the Corps.

It's interesting that the first time all the GL's got together, the notion of "some GL's being more important than others" was suddenly introduced.

Fantastic Member

Tomar-Re was retired from active duty by that point. The Superman back-up story that talked about him and Krypton also saw him retire. Obviously, he stepped back up for the battle with Nekron and then again in Crisis because of how big they were, but he wasn't patroling anymore. Wait let me check. I recall the issues talked a bit about what he did as an Honor guard. But I think it was mostly looking directly after the Guardians. Okay right, when they first show up it's called "the Guardians' own Honor Guard!" (also mentions the other two massive battles the corps had been in at that point, the prison planet in Broome's run and the war with the Weaponer's at the very end of O'Neil's run.)

Ahhh here we go:

"Tomar-Re is now retired from active duty. Serving the Guardians now as one of their elite generals. He is called on for consultation, for training, and examination of new corps prospects, and, as in the case of the current battle, he is called to serve active duty in dire emergencies."
    Last edited by NathanS; 04-14-2022 at 07:11 PM.

The issue here is the very fact there's a discussion figuring out some of these old concepts and how they work is a testament on how DC aren't using these concepts enough. I just hope these new concepts remains consistent and writers build on top of that, instead of ignoring what's there.

And whatever happened to ShyGuy!?

Am I the only one who didn't feel like there was a need to "level the playing field" among the Corps.? Was that a perceived issue with the franchise right now? Other than Simon having inexplicable "beyond the ring" powers and Jo not needing a Battery (I think) and I guess Hal having a special ring or connection to a Cosmic Grail it didn't seem like that big of an issue.
    The issue here is the very fact there's a discussion figuring out some of these old concepts and how they work is a testament on how DC aren't using these concepts enough. I just hope these new concepts remains consistent and writers build on top of that, instead of ignoring what's there.

And whatever happened to ShyGuy!?
    This just gives me flashbacks to Leviathan where Bendis was taking out all the spy organizations because it didn't seem like anyone other than fans knew what they were supposed to exist for.