Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Having been doing a re-read starting in the Silver age... I can't really agree. They were shown as organized fairly early on. Having internal trials, comparing notes... sure massive get together wasn't super common but there is more to an organization than that,
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yeah, the idea that the oldest sentient beings in the universe, ubber powerful and cosmically aware, have no choice in managing their organization other than model it on our obviously ridiculously flawed military structure doesn't really sit right with me.
    This sentient beings can clear see and fully aware that the universe and existence ITSELF has operational structure in order for existence to exist thus would make sense for these "Uber powerful and cosmically aware" beings to do the same or similar to whatever they create esp if its an organization made to preserve order in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Outside "force" is the power ...the power which capable of creating corruption unless the people being inhabited by said "force" uses the power/ force to do good.
    The person who was infected had no idea he was even being influenced by something else. Parallax is being trotted out in this scene as an example of absolute power corrupting absolutely when that wasn't the nature of Hal's fall. Hal wasn't unable to handle the same levels of power when given the same opportunity, he was used as a puppet by an entity that warped his mind and made him commit atrocities. Comparatively, when Hal became the God of Light in The Darkseid War and was in control of his actions, he was capable of wielding great power without giving into any temptations of corruption and then gave it up for the greater good, while restoring the Corps in the process. It just seemed like this scene was trying to paint Hal as someone that fell to corruption of his own power when that's not what happened.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Which means she's lost her powers. Unless they give Keli a GL ring, Teen Lantern is history.

The book ended with an announcement for John Stewart and the Emerald Knights. So it seems like Thorne will continue the story, even if the book isn't called Green Lantern.
    Despite a few issues here n there....Thorne has done pretty good and I look forward to The Ascended John Stewart and The Emerald Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't feel like there was a need to "level the playing field" among the Corps.? Was that a perceived issue with the franchise right now? Other than Simon having inexplicable "beyond the ring" powers and Jo not needing a Battery (I think) and I guess Hal having a special ring or connection to a Cosmic Grail it didn't seem like that big of an issue.

This just gives me flashbacks to Leviathan where Bendis was taking out all the spy organizations because it didn't seem like anyone other than fans knew what they were supposed to exist for.
    Hmmm!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I remember when I created a thread for either first or second issue I wrote that this run will either be great or so bad that DC will pretend that it didn't happen. And well, we'll obviously see how things play out in the future, but at the moment to me it looks like it did the impossible - it was neither great nor bad. Its kinda there.
    Not Great + Not Bad = Pretty Good!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think that's probably the reason why there's the changes, because you hardly ever see concepts like honor guards being explained to new readers and so on. I don't see UP going away, but I'm hoping that other writers keep everything consistent and follow through instead of ignoring what the previous writers has done.
    Well said.... Frankly I am surprised the cosmic grail had absolutely no play in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Well said.... Frankly I am surprised the cosmic grail had absolutely no play in this story.
    It also looks like it was "removed" entirely by Hal getting new/old ring at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think we can expect a Green Lantern book starring Jo Mullein. And probably Keli is going to become a generic GL too now that the Gauntlet is gone.
    I'm probably too cynical at this point (which I hate saying) but I can only imagine the fandom turning on Jo if she becomes the new GL lead. Well, John would get his own book then but still.

Keli turning into a generic Lantern would probably be a death knell for the character because she would be even less unique aside from her age.

by Luciano Vecchio

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

by Luciano Vecchio
    8 people. They really could form their own Superhero team .

Fantastic Member

I mean they did do that for a bit. Though at that point it needed some alien GLs to round it out since Human wise it was Hal and John and Guy as an anti-hero, early on bordering on full villian.

Looking at the big picture, does it seem odd that the Green Lantern Corps had billions of years of stability, but then multiple times in just a few years they collapsed, rebuilt, nearly collapsed, rebuilt, and now they collapsed again and are down to 600 members. How many times has the central power battery been destroyed? How many times have the Guardians died/vanished? I'd like to see some stability and some good Green Lantern stories for a good long while. All of these status quo smashing storylines have been done to death.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Looking at the big picture, does it seem odd that the Green Lantern Corps had billions of years of stability, but then multiple times in just a few years they collapsed, rebuilt, nearly collapsed, rebuilt, and now they collapsed again and are down to 600 members. How many times has the central power battery been destroyed? How many times have the Guardians died/vanished? I'd like to see some stability and some good Green Lantern stories for a good long while. All of these status quo smashing storylines have been done to death.
    Everything needs to be an event/big deconstruction/fixing story.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    From a completely meta level it's understandable, of course, since we only started "noticing" them about 20 years ago (in DCU time). But otherwise, yeah, it's pretty funny:

5 Billion Years Ago
    - Krona watches the Birth of the Universe on TV, 'causing weird stuff to happen.
    - The Guardians decide that emotionless robots should patrol the universe... becoming the first race in the Universe to make THAT mistake.

3 Billion Years Ago
    - The robots wipe out an entire space sector, 'causing the Guardians to rethink their clever plan.
    - The Guardians start up the Green Lantern Corps... with a couple of hiccups along the way (looking at you, Sector 3600), this works pretty well until...

20 Years Ago Or So
    - Sinestro Goes Bad (this apparently hasn't happened in a long while, if ever)
    - Nekron shoes up, requiring the whole freaking Corps to take him out.
    - The Guardians and Zamorans leave the universe to make babies or something.
    - The Central Battery blows up after the GL's kill Sinestro. The GLs are left to fend for themselves.
    - A Guardian dies
    - Another Guardian goes cuckoo-bananas
    - The Guardians come back and start building the Corps
    - Hal goes cuckoo-bananas, blows up Oa, and leaves only one Guardian standing
    - Oa reforms, the Guardians come back
    - The Corps is expanded to 7200
    - Oa blows up again, and the Corps' HQ shifts to Mogo
    - Okay, at this point I lose track...

Seriously, it's like the Guardians and the GLC have been on a meth bender for the last two decades.

We don't know that the Corps hasn't been rebuilt a thousand times before. Not like the Guardians would have publicized it.