Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    My sense of those older comics is that it was. In an entire sector of space, there'd certainly be some, but they were still one in a trillion. But that was a time when being elite didn't have the negative connotations that it does now. (not that they even used that particular word -- well, maybe Ollie used it )

(and there's been a clear shift in culture - the whole, "first place trophy people" v. the "participation trophy people" and as you say, valuing one's innate quality and disregarding accomplishments)
    Just to add to my previous statement, back in the day it was thought one's accomplishments displayed one's exemplary inner qualities and it was in John's first appearance that he showed Hal how you can't judge character by accomplishments when the system is intentionally rigged against some while favoring others - a lesson still being learned today. Still, that story was used to show that the GLC did select people by their character, which is why John was selected. I think people still weren't satisfied though and eventually needed to see more than one or two men as the only ones "good enough" to wield a ring.

Somewhere there's a middle ground between "elitism" and "everyone's equally worthy", but that's being worked out with each new GL and each new writer adding to the conversation that makes the mythos.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-20-2022 at 03:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    My sense of those older comics is that it was. In an entire sector of space, there'd certainly be some, but they were still one in a trillion. But that was a time when being elite didn't have the negative connotations that it does now. (not that they even used that particular word -- well, maybe Ollie used it )

(and there's been a clear shift in culture - the whole, "first place trophy people" v. the "participation trophy people" and as you say, valuing one's innate quality and disregarding accomplishments)
    It's not about a participation trophy, which is obviously pejorative. It's a recognition that not everyone has the same resources and opportunities, but that doesn't make them innately less qualified human beings. I went to one of the top 5 universities in the country and top 5 law schools in the country. Growing up, I came across a lot of people who were smarter than me or better in some other way but who didn't make it as far because they didn't have parents who knew how to work the system. That doesn't make those people lesser. In fact, I'd prefer to work with and hire many of those people than people who had their accomplishments bought by their parents. How many accomplishments did Steve Rogers have before he was Cap? And what about John Walker? IIRC, the most successful quarterback in history was no one's first choice because of his previous record. JFK, Jr. had a lot of accomplishments, but he probably wouldn't have had them if not for his family background, connections, and resources. "Accomplishments" are often a lie people use to justify unequal treatment, particularly when there are limited resources and the system is rigged, as you put it. I think it's excellent that the ring looks beyond the surface level for that reason. And before you say it, it's not about equality of outcome. The ring passes over a number of people to select worthy candidates, but the idea that 1 person is so genetically, mentally, or otherewise gifted as to be entirely unique in terms of capability or potential in a population of 7 billion is delusional at best--especially in a universe in which Bruce Wayne exists as a contemporary.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-20-2022 at 05:06 PM.

^^ Firstly, I expanded on my point in the comment above yours (not the one you quoted) which I think pretty much echo your sentiments.

But the idea in superhero comics that there's one more worthy than all others is a fairly common fantasy trope. Why is it "delusional" for Hal to be singularly qualified above all others?(according to the Guardians' standards) And why not moreso than Batman? That's according to your metric, but I can make an argument for Hal being more worthy of a ring than Batman.

But that's neither here nor there. If you think it's ridiculous, that's fine - Just as it's ridiculous that Batman fights gods and monsters as a man in a batsuit - it's fantasy and as with all fantasy, ymmv whether or not you buy into it. As I said, times change and the concept has indeed expanded to become more what you describe.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-20-2022 at 05:28 PM.

I think at the end of the day what matters is that you have an exceptionally strong will and the ring finds you. It's a fateful moment of being chosen for a core trait that makes you a good fit to being a Green Lantern.

Actually, does every Earth GL have a dead Lanterns' ring? I don't think Hal is using Abin's anymore but given what we know about how a ring finds a new user...

Extraordinary Member

When is the movie coming out?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm wondering why the "full color spectrum" of the Lantern Corps couldn't have been invented before that mythology was finally inaugurated. It could have led to a lot more diverse storylines.
    Very true ....agreed and co-signed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    G'Nort sighting = This Jim Lee guy gets it. Bonus points for putting him in the foreground.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    When is the movie coming out?
    Isn't it just rumored at this stage?

So Sinestro was doing some ultralight, or whatever it was called, thing during Snyder's doom dark metal of death... and is there some story that bridges that story to Sinestro doing his old Sinestro's Corps thing again that we saw in current Green Lantern series?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So Sinestro was doing some ultralight, or whatever it was called, thing during Snyder's doom dark metal of death... and is there some story that bridges that story to Sinestro doing his old Sinestro's Corps thing again that we saw in current Green Lantern series?
    I don't think so. Like, literally the last time we saw him in Metal he was a GL again .

I keep wondering where Soranik is.

BANNED

Funny contrast

How far we've come:

Do you know of any hobbies any of the Lanterns has outside of superheroing? Obviously (and sadly, to me) we don't get to see much of the heroes' downtime now or how they interact with regular civilians, but I wondered what we saw in the old days. I mean, I recall Hal hunting with his brothers and visiting the beach in the 1960s, but that's about it. I started off thinking of Guy and what his earth-city-base would/should be if he had a permanent one. And what there was to do in the town, and what weather he liked counted (his jobs that I know of - teacher, bar owner - could be done most anywhere). And then I thought - what do all the others like to do for entertainment? Things that aren't work, that are ways to relax - or party, if one prefers.