Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I certainly don't think you are. I know the whole "The Central Power Battery is broken (again)) was not your idea. But blowing up the GLC or The Battery or both has... been something of a trend since the end of Englehart era.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    I certainly don't think you are. I know the whole "The Central Power Battery is broken (again)) was not your idea. But blowing up the GLC or The Battery or both has... been something of a trend since the end of Englehart era.
    Even one of the pitches for the Round Robin is about the GLC being a distant memory.

I can't believe that even the Kid Flash series has the CPB blowing up! Um... it's already blown up. Wait until it's reformed before blowing it up again....

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even one of the pitches for the Round Robin is about the GLC being a distant memory.
    In fact what lead to my comment. I don't know maybe the higer-ups love the idea of the GLC being an active force with multiple powered members... but they have a VERY funny way of showing it. If it was one time or more spaced out, but it feels like every single run is "the GLC/CPB is gone!" followed by a run of "And now they put it all back together!" followed by "the GLC/CPB is gone!"

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    DC Round Robin 2022 GL pitches

The Alan book sounds interesting, but the first pitch does nothing for me, regardless of who the main Lantern is.

As others have mentioned, I've had my fill of "GLC's been devastated again" stories...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The Alan book sounds interesting, but the first pitch does nothing for me, regardless of who the main Lantern is.

As others have mentioned, I've had my fill of "GLC's been devastated again" stories...
    "Old hero in a future dystopia" is the story trope that's beginning to grate on me.

Green Lantern: The Light at the End of Forever By Writer Si Spurrier And Artist Marco Santucci

Pitch: A million years from now. A galaxy convulsed by violence, where godlike emperors wield unthinkable power and wage pitiless interstellar war. Here the ancient echoes of our heroic age—our DCU—lie fossilized, rendered as myth or forgotten entirely.

...but not by the Madman: an elderly farmer in a backwater system, brutalized by the latest thugs with jetpacks and jackboots to call themselves lawmen. He remembers. As his broken skull is patched up he suddenly remembers it all. An era of champions. A time of truth and justice. A cadre of peacekeepers dedicated to prosperity, fairness, and light. The Green Lantern Corps. He remembers...because he was one. His name...he’s sure of it...is John Stewart.

Is he right? How could he have forgotten who and what he was in another age, in another life? How is it that nobody else has ever heard of the Green Lanterns? Isn’t it more likely that he, as his friends assume, is nothing but a broken-brained old derelict, fantasizing about bygone wonders from childish myths as senility sets in...?

Whichever it is, there are plenty of scum who care more for his money than his memories. And so he assembles a small band of guns for hire, historians, and *cough* bastiches, to go out there. To dig. To uncover surprising secrets and twisted traces of the DCU we know and love. To try and unpick the greatest riddle of all: Who killed the hope of an entire galaxy? Who murdered truth, justice, and peace?

Who killed the light? And can it be relit?

This is a Green Lantern story unlike any other, melding secret remembrances of the DCU with a dystopian future where the Lantern Corps are a forgotten myth. A multitude of twists will hit our elderly hero as he bumbles cantankerously through the echoes of a corrupted history, causing ripples that will have major consequences for the present-day DCU...and quickly learning the horrible fate of his former comrades.

They never went away. They simply took over: corrupted by ultimate power, twisted by the demons of ambition and authority. Warring star gods, clad in green.

Ultimately the Madman’s greatest gift is not miraculous power nor the strength of a hero, but his belief in the simple goodness of the people around him. Over time, his idealism rubs off on even the most grimdark laser-knuckled space bastard in his retinue. Until we start to wonder: Can a single frail mind reignite the flame of hope?

...and what happens when he realizes the flame isn’t—never was—what it seems...?

Green Lantern: The Birth of Conspiracy

By Writer Scott Bryan Wilson And Artist Skylar Patridge

Pitch:

It’s 1947, and Alan Scott is part of a new breed of humans endowed with the power of gods. But he still has to work a day job, protect his personal secrets from the public, and hide his civilian identity from the government agency formed to monitor superhero activity. When he finds himself at the sites of three UFO incursions—the famous “men in black” and flying saucer sightings, and the Roswell crash—he realizes that he could lose everything. Now, as Green Lantern, imprisoned and alone on an alien planet, used as a conduit to harvest the power of the green flame, he may have to rely on three low-level government functionaries—whose job it is to spy on him—to help him put a stop to an alien genocide and hold the government accountable for hostile actions...and trust them to keep his deepest secrets secret.

Scott Bryan Wilson (Pennyworth, Batman: Gotham Nights) and Skylar Patridge (Wonder Woman) make you question everything in this high-octane, conspiracy theory-drenched tale of power and patriotism at a pivotal time in American history.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Although I do like Spurrier (usually), still gonna go with the Alan book for my vote.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Although I do like Spurrier (usually), still gonna go with the Alan book for my vote.
    Spurrier's name did make me give the pitch a second glance but same. Even though the only other book I can tell the guy behind the Alan pitch wrote was the Pennyworth mini which I keep forgetting exists.

It's nice to have two people pitching GL stuff at least .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Given that we've just been through the exact same premise of the Central Power Battery being destroyed and GLCorps being wiped out and rebuilt so many times in recent memory, I honestly can't muster up too much enthusiasm for the Si Spurrier story.

Art looks good for both.

Old Man John .

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shy Guy View Post
    Alan hasn't had his own series in literally a gajillion years. Given he's the original GL, I think he deserves something to do.

Though, I'm happy to see John has a ring again and appears to be a regular GL. Still, I don't like the overall premise.
    That's just an image of what John was in the past, look down, the old man with prosthetic leg and no ring is John as he will be in at least the start of the story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shy Guy View Post
    . No one seems interested in actually giving him his own signature villains or supporting cast.
    I do get the feeling, and I very well could be wrong, but at times it seems that his fans don't always value those things a ton. Partly because so many came in from the JL cartoons where his 'supporting cast' was other heroes, and even in the comics, MOSAIC is likely the closest he's ever had to a status quo that was his own. Maybe Dark Stars? .... Did anyone care about that comic? They really tried to push it as a replacement for the GLC, but it never really took.

That and since there can be a feeling that being the most well-known GL outside of the small world of comic fandom... he should be THE GL (To be fair a LOT of GL fans have a GL they think should be that) and as such he should kind of get first, pick of any preexisting supporting cast and villains. One of his most famous outings in the JL Cartoons was placing him into a story that was original with Hal, so not like it would be new.
    Last edited by NathanS; 04-07-2022 at 09:35 PM.