Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Who was the last memorable GLC villain that wasn't part of the other Corps.?

Not Relic.

Krona was basically a refurbished GL Rogue.

Volthoom was connected to the Emotional Spectrum.
    I liked Belzebeth but she was the only real one of note. They desperately need more.

Honestly you know what the GL franchise needs? A HoX/PoX. It’s eerie how GL is in the exact same state as X-Men for similar reasons: an obsession with extinction stories, trying to get back to a “golden era” (Claremont/Johns), and a reduction in the number of books. Next time they relaunch GL I hope they make it a major “event”. I say leave GL as the John Stewart book but there needs to be a GLC book at least.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I liked Belzebeth but she was the only real one of note. They desperately need more.

Honestly you know what the GL franchise needs? A HoX/PoX. It’s eerie how GL is in the exact same state as X-Men for similar reasons: an obsession with extinction stories, trying to get back to a “golden era” (Claremont/Johns), and a reduction in the number of books. Next time they relaunch GL I hope they make it a major “event”. I say leave GL as the John Stewart book but there needs to be a GLC book at least.
    I wouldn't say GL has gotten as bad as, say, the X-Men Gold era or the Matt Rosenberg era, but that's just me.

I'm not sure what direction DC is going to take the book.

Or at the very least do what they are doing on WW's book and do a back up story focusing on other characters. That way we wouldn't have to deal with the focus being split from the main GL.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I wouldn't say GL has gotten as bad as, say, the X-Men Gold era or the Matt Rosenberg era, but that's just me.

I'm not sure what direction DC is going to take the book.
    I like Redjack’s run but I’m not happy overall with the state of GL as franchise, specifically DC’s handling of them. They seem obsessed with forcing the same plot beats over and over again with the Corps being killed off en masse. Agreed that it’s not as bad as the worst of X-Men but it has suffered from a massive fall off in prestige.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I like Redjack’s run but I’m not happy overall with the state of GL as franchise, specifically DC’s handling of them. They seem obsessed with forcing the same plot beats over and over again with the Corps being killed off en masse. Agreed that it’s not as bad as the worst of X-Men but it has suffered from a massive fall off in prestige.
    Yeah I'm so over Green Lantern as an IP currently, which is a shame because I absolutely love it... But I just can't do another story about the end of the corps/the light/the guardians are assholes.

It just feels like Green Lantern has spent nearly two decades doing the same plot over and over again.

I'm at the point where a year on Earth just fighting silver age GL rogues would be breaking new ground.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Jessica should have developed a lot of hobbies when she was stuck in her apartment for so long. Do we know what she did to pass the time?
    She played Pokemon, if memory serves.
    Last edited by Robanker; 04-09-2022 at 01:43 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    The spectrum’s still there but the Green Light isn’t part of it, and never was.

Since, you know, willpower isn’t an emotion.

It is my hope that the skittles can now go in the bin, like so many other things
    Then how does that explain the yellow impurity now. Why were the rings ever weak against yellow if the green light was never part of the spectrum. And how would Parallax be able to influence anyone while being imprisoned if the central battery wasn't connected to the emotional spectrum in the first place. Or am I just missing something here, because Geoff Johns' explanation at least made sense for what he was doing with the GL mythos at the time.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-09-2022 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    The spectrum’s still there but the Green Light isn’t part of it, and never was.
    That's so dumb, please be retconned away

You don't need to do that to expand the franchise

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She played Pokemon, if memory serves.
    Probably binge-watched a lot of TV.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Probably binge-watched a lot of TV.
    I just remember there's an early issue of Green Lanterns where she mentions she misses her Jigglypuff among a few others. I only remember that because my girlfriend also loves Jigglypuff, so it stood out.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Anyone remembers what happened with Alpha Lanterns? I think they got a final storyline just before Flashpoint in GLC book, but during early New 52 Tomasi wrote another storyline with them, I think, getting killed. Am I remembering something wrong here? Do those storylines contradict each other considering that GL continuity didn't change much after Flashpoint? And have any of their members appeared anywhere since Tomasi's GLC story?

I think we can chalk up the Alpha Lanterns as another failed Guardian experiment like the Fist of the Guardians robots or the Green Lantern Corpse black ops team. Just stuff that was never picked up on again. Considering all the major status quo shifts in the GLC power structure since then, it's not hard to imagine those groups getting dropped in-universe too.

I think the Alpha Lanterns were supposed to build up to Final Crisis as part of Granny Goodness' plot.

Are the Honor Guard still a thing?

I think the Alpha Lanterns were supposed to build up to Final Crisis as part of Granny Goodness' plot.

Are the Honor Guard still a thing?
    Nope.

No alpha lanterns. No honor guard. No distinctions between lanterns at all. They are all exactly the same "rank," power level and level of importance within the group, none superior to the others. The only differences now are their species, temperaments, intelligence, cultures and personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Nope.

No alpha lanterns. No honor guard. No distinctions between lanterns at all. They are all exactly the same "rank," power level and level of importance within the group, none superior to the others. The only differences now are their species, temperaments, intelligence, cultures and personalities.
    I mean, I think it added some interesting flourishes and dynamics to the organization instead of there just being normal rank-and-file GL's (like how Kilowog is a training officer and Salaak basically runs everything), but it also came about during a less than stellar period for the Guardians, so...

I remember GL:TAS used the Honor Guard as a way to explain why there kept being more Earth Lanterns because they kept having to replace the GL of 2814 everytime one of them got bumped to Honor Guard.

Fantastic Member

And the Honor Guard is one of those things that's much older than I think most people realize. They first showed up in 81. Geoff Johns was just the first to pay much attention to them. He really drew a LOT on Tales of the Green Lantern Corps. To be fair it's a hell of a yarn and almost seems like a dry run for what Johns would get up to. but there does at times feel like an attempt to try and cut GL off from his stuff which can almost mean in the rush cutting it off from most of its history.