Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Has Xavier's dream changed?

When I first read the X-Books there was Xavier's dream of a world where humans & mutants co existed together in relative peace now, the X-Men have their own island & a now a planet. Forgive me I haven't read X-books in awhile so I don't know the storyline but to me the X-Books showed me if you were different from the norm (what ever that is) you had a place in the world. I guess Thomas Wolfe is right you can't go home.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I don't believe it has. I just think he's more practical now. Like he wants the mutants to survive and thrive enough before walking hand and hand with the human race.
    One of the biggest fallings was the human embargo from Krakoa with two exceptions: Kyle and Shogo. If they would have shown more humans allies on the island - especially parents with underaged mutant children - I think it wouldn't have been a question if Xavier's dream was dead or not.
    Maybe the X-Men should have a human support staff in their treehouse or something. But Duggan can barely handle a team of mutants to add four or five human supporting cast members.

As it stands, Krakoa is necessary for mutant survival. Things have gotten so bad for them, they needed a sanctuary and a place for themselves. They have to take care of their own and a lot of what they're doing is about that.

But Xavier still wants coexistence. Human relatives, special guests and certain allies are still welcome on the island. He was actually happy with Scott and Jean reforming the X-Men. Krakoa has the Kill No (hu)Man rule, even when it inconveniences his own people. He loves humans and still wants to live alongside them, but for the time being they need to love humans at arm's length.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The dream is the same but the approach is different.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Xavier under Hickman explained in X-men 4 IIRC that he still believes in the dream but can't stand by and let more mutants suffer until it's achieved

BANNED

Peaceful co-existence by separation/isolation is the ideology of supremacist... Xavier can't have it both ways -- I.e., humans are not allowed on our island (or planet) but, we mutants can live where ever, whenever we please on Earth with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Peaceful co-existence by separation/isolation is the ideology of supremacist... Xavier can't have it both ways -- I.e., humans are not allowed on our island (or planet) but, we mutants can live where ever, whenever we please on Earth with impunity.
    And that's if it's the way YOU see it. So your personal opinion is duly noted, many don't see it that way to string together that kind of rationale.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It has and it's the flatscans' fault.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Pretty much, yeah. There's some lip service to it but in practice he's given up on the old dream.

Maybe now that Hickman's gone there will be a way for the dream to come back without making everyone mad by getting rid of Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It has and it's the flatscans' fault.
    Yes and yes.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

He claims that it hasn’t as recently as when Hickman was writing X-Men. Just wish that the X-books would show rather than tell that especially since the establishment of the X-Men to save everyone was Cyclops and Jean’s idea and the medicine is motivated by political leverage rather than Xavier’s dream. Xavier meanwhile is perfectly fine with letting a teenager and her sociopath of a sidekick go on a echo terrorist rampage and only steps in when they get sued. Not exactly the best affirmative action towards his dream.

BANNED

Xavier’s dream is dead. Xavier himself no longer believes in it. He is mainly concerned about mutant survival. He’s not a villain trying to take over the world, and he would still oppose that. But Krakoa, the resurrection protocols, and Arrako planet are all solid proof is he prioritizes mutant survival over any dream.

Example. Xavier would never even try to resurrection a non mutant so if the FF or non mutant members of the Avengers get killed it’s not his problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    When I first read the X-Books there was Xavier's dream of a world where humans & mutants co existed together in relative peace now, the X-Men have their own island & a now a planet. Forgive me I haven't read X-books in awhile so I don't know the storyline but to me the X-Books showed me if you were different from the norm (what ever that is) you had a place in the world. I guess Thomas Wolfe is right you can't go home.
    Xavier’s dream of co-existence lives on through the X-Men, who don’t appear to be willing to take orders from the Krakoan Quiet Council and spend more time among humans than Krakoa.

However, Xavier’s views have personally changed. Xavier by his actions shows he no longer believes in his old dream. He is a separatist now, if not a mutant supremacist. Also, he must be very confused, and I am too. Krakoa was supposed to be Moira’s big plan to save mutants in the distant future. But it turned out it was also about Moira curing mutants of their X gene or whatever. Since Xavier supposedly knows Krakoa will fail in protecting mutants long-term, and the real plan had been Moira’s to get rid of mutants, then what is he supposed to do now?

Marvel editorial stopping Hickman’s story when they were only about a third to halfway into the plot as Hickman originally envisioned seems like a big mistake to me. Yes, Hickman probably just changed the X-Men the most since Len Wein and Dave Cockrum. I thought that was a good thing, but after Inferno #4, I’m not so sure anymore. I am sure Hickman meant to leave it all in a more resolved place with far less bizarre contradictions and retcons than it is today.

Well the story that is being told is that mutants and humans will be in a war. If it's the X-men or the orchis doesn't matter. They are just representatives of their races. So Xavier has changed his dream. He now considers mutants survival to be paramount. When that is achieved if there are any humans left perhaps there can be peaceful coexcistence then. There are several things that are iffy and seems contradictory but the story that is being told takes precedence.

Then you have teams like the current X-men by Gerry Duggan that are more aligned with the old dream. So in general the dream is not dead but it is being proved impossible as it was. First there must be bloodshed then we can dream again.

BANNED

If baseline humans were wiped out what would happen if a baby were born to a mutant couple without an X-Gene ?
    Last edited by Micabe; 01-10-2022 at 01:39 PM.