Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Default This week's list (28 June)

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Action Comics #1044: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/06/24/dc...n-comics-1044/

Midnighter helps Clark/Superman to fight Mongul's regime. On Earth, Jon/Superman, Lois and John Henry Irons discover something that might be important in the Warworld Revolution later on.

(Also, where's my Middy and Apollo Pride variant cover????)

"The Warworld Revolution is here! With the Genesis Stone feeding Kal-El a portion of his long-dormant powers, the quest to overthrow Mongul’s tyrannical rule is well under way…but can Superman convince the war-torn combatants of this hellish nightmare planet that kindness can best cruelty? All this, plus Midnighter stabs some fools who had it coming! Then, in “A World Without Clark Kent,” Lois, Jon, and John Henry Irons (a.k.a. Steel) convene to unlock the secrets of the mysterious Genesis tech…and Thao-La awakens…"
    Sadly, there was no Jon Kent in this week's AC.

However, there's one addition to the list: Robin #15 - Connor Hawke, our favorite asexual hero, appeared in this issue. (There's also a reference to the DC Pride 2022 Connor Hawke story.)

BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I noticed that shipping same sex couples (especially male ones) just irks some people on the DC CBR threads...

Great ideas, I like especially the Catman one .

I think I've already mentioned on the 2021 thread, but I'd have Malcolm Hutch return in the current Nightwing ongoing. He could be a great supporting character - not a Bat character, but a Nightwing one.

As someone who enjoyed the Ric portion of the Nightwing book, especially for the Nightwings, I wasn't aware that Hutch was a queer man.

Default Next week's LGBTQIA+ -related releases (05 July)

DC vs. Vampires #7: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...vs-vampires-7/

Diana/WW is a very nasty vampire in this story.

"The nightmarish second arc begins! The Earth is now cloaked in darkness as the victorious vampire empire has taken full control. Pockets of humanity can still be found, and they struggle to live but hope fades with every darker day. The leaders of the last surviving resistance force—Green Arrow, Batgirl, and Supergirl—hatch a desperate plan to save the world…or die trying!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dark Crisis #2: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...dark-crisis-2/

Jon Kent as Superman, maybe Jackson Hyde Aquaman, and others (I know it's lazy, but many characters are listed for this issue.)

"THE HOUSE OF NIGHTWING BURNS! As the good people of the world mourn the loss of the Justice League, the forces of evil have seized the opportunity to wreak havoc in a world without its heroes! Leading the charge is a super-powered Slade Wilson…but this time there’s something dark fueling his rage. With a massive army laying siege to Titans Tower, only Nightwing will have what it takes to stand in the way of Deathstroke’s forces—but is this a fight Dick Grayson can win? Look, up in the sky—reinforcements are on the way! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s…uh-oh…it’s Cyborg Superman. The world burns as Pariah and the Great Darkness make their play for planet Earth in this jaw-dropping second issue!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Multiversity: Teen Justice #2: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...een-justice-2/

One of the best DC titles now with non-binary Kid Quick, gay Donald Troy, and gay Raven.

"The explosive miniseries starring Kid Quick and their allies shifts into even higher gear as Teen Justice investigates the Church of Blood! When efforts to infiltrate the mysterious church backfire, one hero faces a devastating loss! Plus: Supergirl and Robin attract surprising allies when they discover an unexpected mystery, Aquagirl finds herself out of her element (and then some), and an encounter with the Justice Guild threatens the future of Teen Justice!"

Nubia: Queen of the Amazons #2: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...the-amazons-2/

"After a disastrous first foray into Man’s World as queen of the Amazons, Nubia is left at death’s door! As she fights for her life, her fellow Amazons search for the culprit who tried to assassinate their beloved leader. The clock is ticking: Will this trip in the name of peace prove fatal?"

Suicide Squad: Blaze #3: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...squad-blaze-3/

Harley Quinn in a SS story.

"After the blood-soaked events of last issue, there are no heroes left with the strength to take on the cannibal killer…with the possible exception of, believe it or not, one Michael Van Zandt. But when Michael learns the truth of both the killer’s true nature and that of the powers he’s been given, humanity might have a lot more to fear than one flying carnivore…"

Poison Ivy #2: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...-poison-ivy-2/

"Destroying humanity is a lot of work, and a girl’s gotta eat! On her journey to doom humankind, Ivy makes a pit stop at a roadside restaurant, where she meets a hungry poet who makes her question her motives—at least until the cops show up. Ivy has left Gotham, but she can’t seem to escape the law!"

Batman: Killing Time #5: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...illing-time-5/

Catwoman in a Tom King Batman mini.

"The heist of the century has gone so far sideways that an all-out and very bloody gang war is imminent, with Batman, Riddler, and Catwoman caught in the crossfire. What is the mysterious object that so many are willing to murder so many for, and how does it connect to Bruce Wayne? As we reach the climax of this thrilling series, the clock strikes its deadly hour—the time for killing is here!"

Batman #125: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...ew-batman-125/

Tim Drake will be the Robin in the Failsafe story arc. Also, the preview confirms that Bruce and Selina have broken up - Selina is with Valmont.
    The back-up story will focus on Selina.

FAILSAFE, PART 1
    "Superstar writer Chip Zdarsky joins legendary artist Jorge Jimenez to define a new era in Batman! Bruce Wayne is at a turning point, haunted by dreams of a dark future, while Gotham City billionaires are being gruesomely murdered. With the discovery of an archenemy’s involvement and a tragedy unfolding, the Dark Knight’s nightmares are just beginning."

"And in the backup, there's chaos in Gotham as the underworld fights over one of its crown jewels…and Selina Kyle is caught in the middle. Can she stop the bloodshed and maybe even make a little money in the process?"
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    As someone who enjoyed the Ric portion of the Nightwing book, especially for the Nightwings, I wasn't aware that Hutch was a queer man.
    Does anyone know where Hutch's queerness was confirmed? And did they specify?

Does anyone know where Hutch's queerness was confirmed? And did they specify?
    It wasn't confirmed and specified. It was a hunch from my part, mainly based on this one page, sorry for my misinterpretation. (Do American men call each other beautiful, btw? If they do, sorry, my mistake.)

The Ric Grayson Nightwing era, iirc, was only focusing on Ric's private life (Béa, etc), there weren't many details revealed about the private lives of the Nightwings team, only glimpses like this scene. We'll never see these characters again in a Nightwing run, so Hutch's sexuality will never be confirmed 100%. (But who knows, maybe one day. An out and proud, Black firefighter in an American superhero comic.)

(My previous post will be edited.)
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 07-03-2022 at 07:47 AM. Reason: my grammar -_-

Astonishing Member

It wasn't confirmed and specified. It was a hunch from my part, mainly based on this one page, sorry for my misinterpretation. (Do American men call each other beautiful, btw? If they do, sorry, my mistake.)

The Ric Grayson Nightwing era, iirc, was only focusing on Ric's private life (Béa, etc), there weren't many details revealed about the private lives of the Nightwings team, only glimpses like this scene. We'll never see these characters again in a Nightwing run, so Hutch's sexuality will never be confirmed 100%. (But who knows, maybe one day. An out and proud, Black firefighter in an American superhero comic.)

(My previous post will be edited.)
    Oh, okay.

(Not sure about the beautiful thing. Maybe in a context like this one?)

Oh, okay.

(Not sure about the beautiful thing. Maybe in a context like this one?)
    I don't know really. I'm not competent enough culturally/linguistically to decide that. I'm Hungarian and here, straight men (whether ethnic Hungarian or Roma) def don't label each other as beautiful in any kind of context. BIG NO. That's why I thought Hutch might be queer coded, but the writers weren't really interested in showing us more of his private life - and actually, not any kind of sexuality was confirmed (not even heterosexuality).

I didn't intend to read too much into this page and mislead you, but somehow, I just can't get rid off the impression that he was queer coded in this specific context.

Openly bisexual actor Jack Dylan Grazer (Kid Eddie from It: Chapter I, Freddy Freeman from the Shazam! film) is voicing Jon Kent in the upcoming animated movie Batman and Superman: Battle of the Super Sons

Jon's just 11 in this film so I doubt his sexuality will come up but it's cool they got a bisexual actor to voice him. Grazer is one of my favorite young actors so I hope he voices Jon for many more movies to come.

Astonishing Member

I don't know really. I'm not competent enough culturally/linguistically to decide that. I'm Hungarian and here, straight men (whether ethnic Hungarian or Roma) def don't label each other as beautiful in any kind of context. BIG NO. That's why I thought Hutch might be queer coded, but the writers weren't really interested in showing us more of his private life - and actually, not any kind of sexuality was confirmed (not even heterosexuality).

I didn't intend to read too much into this page and mislead you, but somehow, I just can't get rid off the impression that he was queer coded in this specific context.
    I think it could be used in a reverent kind of way, like with Hutch to Sapienza, since Hutch is remarking in regards to Sapienza's feat of being Nightwing and culling criminal activity successfully as something beautiful. Thus, Hutch remarks that Sapienza's a beautiful man for having pulled of such an amazing (aka beautiful) feat against the odds.

So while we can't tell for sure if there was another meaning/if there was meant to be multiple meanings, I get the feeling the meaning/main meaning of "beautiful man" in this context is meant to be synonymous to "amazing/incredible man". I do recall hearing this synonym before in at least a fictional context. (It probably also in real life, too, mostly in the past, as otherwise it likely wouldn't have been used here, even if such a turn of phrase might be contextually old fashioned nowadays.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Openly bisexual actor Jack Dylan Grazer (Kid Eddie from It: Chapter I, Freddy Freeman from the Shazam! film) is voicing Jon Kent in the upcoming animated movie Batman and Superman: Battle of the Super Sons

Jon's just 11 in this film so I doubt his sexuality will come up but it's cool they got a bisexual actor to voice him. Grazer is one of my favorite young actors so I hope he voices Jon for many more movies to come.
    Would be cool and interesting if things work out such that he can grow into the role of comics Jon as openly-Bi Superman.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

If they want it to come up, they can do it the same way they would a straight kid: a crush. You don't even have to dedicate much time to it since he's a little kid so it doesn't have to go anywhere.

It'd actually be nice to see, considering how people still, for some goddamn reason, think a fictional kid having a gay crush is somehow inherently sexual

Nobody has a problem with straight kids having crushes: Dipper Pines, Maple Pines, literally most movies and shows featuring a kid protagonist.

Since I'm on this tirade: I both get and don't get people who say that Jon couldn't be an openly bisexual character if he was aged back down because he absolutely could be. Whether or not he would be comes down to whether or not DC would apply a homophobic double standard.

EDIT: Didn't the young Robins (early teens) have love interests?
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 07-03-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Would be cool and interesting if things work out such that he can grow into the role of comics Jon as openly-Bi Superman.
    Just by virtue of being a character in the film, his bisexuality will come up because he IS his bisexuality. That's something that doesn't change or can be ignored because of age. Hopefully the popularity of BoSS will force DC to admit defeat and just de-age Jon because seeing Jon grow up and age naturally as a bi Superboy is infinitely more interesting and impactful than whatever is supposedly being done in the comics.

Astonishing Member

I actually hadn't considered the simplicity of them just letting Jon develop and showcase a crush (one-sided or not) on Damian through the course of the film. It's extremely simple, but often times, you get so used to social conditioning that even when you're trying to better break that stuff down for yourself and in general, you end up following through with it just as often as breaking away and not seeing obvious things like this.

Still, whether the movie actually does this, or if they'd even considered this throughout any point of development post-comics' Jon/Superman coming out as Bi, is a whole 'nother ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Just by virtue of being a character in the film, his bisexuality will come up because he IS his bisexuality. That's something that doesn't change or can be ignored because of age. Hopefully the popularity of BoSS will force DC to admit defeat and just de-age Jon because seeing Jon grow up and age naturally as a bi Superboy is infinitely more interesting and impactful than whatever is supposedly being done in the comics.
    That's if they choose to bring it up, though, and we all know how easy it would be for them to never even hint at Jon being Bi, let alone incorporate it.

And I dunno why this even got brought up here in the first place, as it's not relevant here, but I also don't see the need to age Jon down. I'd been away from CBR and stuff in any meaningful capacity for a while, so there's whiplash in seeing that folks are still clamoring for it. And in such unduly combative ways.

That's if they choose to bring it up, though, and we all know how easy it would be for them to never even hint at Jon being Bi, let alone incorporate it.
    They probably won't hint at him being heterosexual either. Super Sons was pretty chaste when it came to romance and relationships (aside from the friendship of Jon and Damian). Either way, all DC had to do to incorporate his bisexuality was to make him a character in the movie, and they did.

And I dunno why this even got brought up here in the first place, as it's not relevant here,
    Because Jon is a queer character and this is a thread about queer characters?

but I also don't see the need to age Jon down. I'd been away from CBR and stuff in any meaningful capacity for a while, so there's whiplash in seeing that folks are still clamoring for it. And in such unduly combative ways.
    What you call unduly combative, I call passionate and invested. Jon Kent managed to cultivate more in two years with no marketing outside the general marketing of the Rebirth initiative than the aged up version did in four years with the marketing of "worldwide" headlines. Without fans like myself, there wouldn't be a Super Sons movie. Even the most ardent defenders of the age up have lost interest, but kid Jon fans are as dedicated as ever and him being bi has only increased that love.
    Last edited by garazza; 07-03-2022 at 10:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    i hope people buy the film, and stream hard