Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I do understand why some people see the Pride variants with straight heroes as queerbaiting, but for me it's meaningful to see beloved characters as allies. Superman, Nightwing etc with a Pride flag is something I'd never have imagined on a cover when I was a kid.
    That doesn't change that we also need queer characters on covers too.
    Just want to point out, that wasn't what I said; certainly didn't mean to convey that. I said using Nightwing like that, when accounting for the context of his queer fandom, is queerbaiting.

That said, the Clark Superman and the Bruce Batman Pride variants can also be frustrating in their own ways, since it comes off as taking up space that outta go to centering the queer DC characters in their respective franchise. (I particularly recall not caring for how centered Bruce was in his last year.)
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-06-2022 at 12:54 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Just want to point out, that wasn't what I said; certainly didn't mean to convey that. I said using Nightwing like that, when accounting for the context of his queer fandom, is queerbaiting.

That said, the Clark Superman and the Bruce Batman Pride variants can also be frustrating in their own ways, since it comes off as taking up space that outta go to centering the queer DC characters in their respective franchise. (I particularly recall not caring for how centered Bruce was in his last year.)
    I don't think Nightwing or Batman having a pride variant are taking something from other heroes. They aren't part of the pride anthology. These are just variant covers for their own books, and it's not like DC has any quota of pride variants and they are taking a cover from another hero (and personally I think it's nice seeing DC's most popular heroes being allies).
    In Nightwing's case it seems that both his creative team are allies, and his actor in Titans is bi, so I find Nightwing having a pride variant actully nice.
    Last edited by Lal; 04-06-2022 at 02:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

You have to take in account of DC lgbt characters in 2021 vs 2022

Rather then a assortment of c-b list characters without their own books
    Compared to now With Superman Aquaman Robin .

They did the best with what they had at the time. Nightwings cover shouldn’t cause frustration, it’s then recognizing that part of the audience and standing with us.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Having Nightwing come out on the spectrum and then do nothing with it is actually queerbaiting.
    Honestly it's this kind of thinking why most real-life bi/pan individuals don't ever come out because they are never going to be "queer enough" for some people. Bi people are the whooping majority of the LGBT+ community and we should be encouraging more folks in embracing their place on the spectrum even if they aren't comfortable with a label or prefer heterosexual relationships. An iconic character like Dick Grayson acknowledging his place on the spectrum but still being in secure, loving relationships with women would do wonders for a lot of people.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Honestly it's this kind of thinking why most real-life bi/pan individuals don't ever come out because they are never going to be "queer enough" for some people. Bi people are the whooping majority of the LGBT+ community and we should be encouraging more folks in embracing their place on the spectrum even if they aren't comfortable with a label or prefer heterosexual relationships. An iconic character like Dick Grayson acknowledging his place on the spectrum but still being in secure, loving relationships with women would do wonders for a lot of people.
    The same goes for ace people. Also, I'd like to see more ace representation in DC comics & the DC extended universe.
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 04-06-2022 at 10:40 PM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Dick trended on Twitter for a while because of his BTAS Funko Pop randomly getting a "Pride Rainbow Glitter" finish. This has GOT to stop lol

Dick trended on Twitter for a while because of his BTAS Funko Pop randomly getting a "Pride Rainbow Glitter" finish. This has GOT to stop lol

Perhaps they confused Dick with Tim?

Extraordinary Member

When Tim was announced gay people thought it was dick, just goes with sharing a mantle.
    That r is very Tim drake though. It’s not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    When Tim was announced gay people thought it was dick, just goes with sharing a mantle.
    That r is very Tim drake though. It’s not a big deal.
    It's the BTAS Robin Funko Pop and this Rainbow themed variant also comes in a set of 3 with similarly rainbow washed BTAS Poison Ivy and BTAS Harley Quinn. Tim didn't turn up until TNBA. The official licensing partner seems well aware that this Robin is Dick Grayson going by their description of the figure.

rih.jpg

While yes, this might be a case of the parties involved thinking it was Dick who came out as queer as opposed to a cynical case of baiting, it's coming from an officially affiliated source which makes it hilarious. OR it might be a case of cynical baiting after all, trying to sell Dick as the queer Robin to casual fans who don't know better.

Also goes to show how people outside the comics fanbase think it's Dick who is canonically confirmed as queer (which, considering the theories swirling around him since the 50's...). Still of the opinion that DC should canonize Dick's queerness and move on. Also prevents Tim's biggest differentiating factor as Robin being the lone "queer one" or the "bi one".

Also goes to show how people outside the comics fanbase think it's Dick who is canonically confirmed as queer (which, considering the theories swirling around him since the 50's...). Still of the opinion that DC should canonize Dick's queerness and move on. Also prevents Tim's biggest differentiating factor as Robin being the lone "queer one" or the "bi one".

oh boy, i didn't know about it
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Default Next week's LGBTQI+ -related releases (12 April)

Suicide Squad: Blaze #2: another story in which Harley Quinn is a member of the SS

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/08/dc...squad-blaze-2/

"The inmates who volunteered for the Blaze program are discovering fascinating things about their newfound powers—and about the best ways to torment their Suicide Squad watchdogs. Are they discovering anything about their core mission of stopping the cannibalistic metahuman who's terrorizing the planet and who, uh…might have just defeated Superman…? Well, slightly less so. But they're all going to be dead in three months. Or a lot less. Let them have fun, eh?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wonder Woman #786: part 5 of the 'Trial of the Amazons' event

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/08/dc...der-woman-786/

"Tensions rise as the tribes compete with one another to determine the future of the Amazons. But a lot more than just glory is on the line—immortality is too! Little do they know, someone is pulling everyone’s strings from behind Doom’s Doorway. Who could it be? Find out in this jam-packed issue!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Batman: Urban Legends #14: Constantine is in the Batman & Zatanna story, Bound to Our Will (part 4)

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/08/dc...an-legends-14/

"Batman and Zatanna are at the mercy of the DCU's newest magic! Ace the Bat-Hound and the Super-Pets versus Gotham's worst villains! A new Birds of Prey led by Lady Shiva and Katana? And a team-up between Batman and the Question!"

Green Lantern #12: final issue, Nova Lux

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/08/dc...en-lantern-12/

"As the dust settles after the battle with the Anti-Guardian, John Stewart, Jo Mullein, and the rest of the Corps pick up the pieces and adjust to their new status quo. The day might be saved, but there’s still plenty of work to be done. Everything you know about Green Lanterns is about to change!"

Superman: Son of Kal-El #10: Reputation - Jon Kent/Superman, Jay Nakamura, Aerie, and Wink are prominent queer characters in this story arc

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/08/dc...-of-kal-el-10/

"Henry Bendix’s plans are now clear. Gamorra’s president won’t stop until he has total control. He’s now sold his strategy to other dangerous regimes. Only Superman and his allies stand in the way of Bendix’s dark vision for the world…a world where superheroes are put in their place, discredited, and even destroyed. A world where heroes are replaced by agents of those ruthless enough to have seized power. The Rising has begun!"

And undeniably my favorite one!

The Sandman Universe: Nightmare Country #1: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/08/dc...are-country-1/

"Sometimes, nightmares walk the Earth. Every night when you sleep, the Lord of Dreams chooses the path you’ll follow…into a sylvan Elysium, or down the hallways of your darkest fears. And sometimes, if it is Dream’s will, those nightmares escape those halls, and go out into the world. But it is not a choice he makes lightly. Today the Corinthian walks the Earth again. The most feared of all Dream’s nightmares, his ravenous mouths have made him a legend among serial killers. Letting the Corinthian out among mortals is the most dangerous thing Dream could possibly do. But he has no choice—because there is another nightmare walking the Earth, one that must be hunted…and this monster is one that Dream, lord of all nightmares, did not make."

If it was up to me, Dick would be pan or bi. There's already enough hints.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    If it was up to me, Dick would be pan or bi. There's already enough hints.
    But would he have an actual male love interest? Who would it be?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    But would he have an actual male love interest? Who would it be?
    Hmm... Jason

Diana's brother