Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

The CW is known for making crappy shows. How many Emmys, Critics Choice and Golden Globes do they get in nominations?

I am surprised I did not try to break my TV in anger after I finished watching a show like Gossip Girl (It is one of the worst shows ever done with the most awful writing I have ever seen even for a teen ya show)

I stopped watching Riverdale as well because of how bad and seriously ridiculous the characters were. terrible terrible show.

Vampire Dairies was also ruined, the last two seasons felt like fan -fiction. I cannot believe people actually once thought the show was on the same level as Buffy The Vampire Slayer that aired on WB Channel.

Nothing of good quality has ever come out of CW. I rather see the channel go. They are doing more harm to DC than helping it and I like DC too much to see it keep getting burned with the CW production value and mediocre writing.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2022 at 04:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Just let LOT live, because as far as I'm concerned, it's the last arrowverse show standing.

bonus points if they bring back Ray and Nora.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The CW is known for making crappy shows. How many Emmys, Critics Choice and Golden Globes do they get in nominations?
    This is a laughable argument. Over the past decade those awards have increasingly gone to premium subscription channels and streaming services. Network television rarely wins these awards anymore. By your logic, almost all network television shows are "crappy shows."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

It's the Golden Globes that are a joke. One simply has to do a little research into who this so-called foreign press really is. It's foolish to cite that as a barometer.
    Are the Arrowverse shows great? Rarely. Are they enjoyable, usually. Can they be stupid at times? Indubitably.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want to buy it. From what I understand the CW as a network loses money. But the producers of the content, Warner Bros mainly right now is able to make money on the shows by selling it to Netlfix that's why the CW stayed around, so the shows could get to 88 episodes for streaming and syndication purposes no matter how poorly they did in the ratings. I assume the new owners of the CW will not be participating in these back end deals so they will need the CW to actually start making money as a network which is highly unlikely as more and more people just go to streaming and Warner Bros is likely at some point to pull all their DC projects to place on their own streaming service HBO Max and Paramount will also keep all their best programming for their streaming service Paramount+.

Seems like Warner/Paramount are looking to dump a loser network on some suckers.
    CW was celebrating getting 382,000 viewers for their season 5 premier of Dynasty. The foreign broadcast rights for that show are keeping it on the air because I don't see how it could be profitable off domestic market figures alone.

Most network television stations are only profitable because of sports, something CW doesn't air.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The CW was before HBOMax and AT&T and Warner moving to streaming in a big way. The CW no longer fits their game plan. Has nothing to do with woke, please just stop this inane, kneejerk reaction.
    The Arrowverse was a success, Full Stop! They would not keep creating new shows if it weren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hmmm. Well they had a good run. Most of the shows started off really well in the first and second years, then started to drag.

Still more successful than any of Marvel's ongoing stuff. Marvel ended up completely switching to limited series with higher production values instead. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the DC characters get the same kind of treatment, as a turnabout is fairplay type of deal.
    Agree with both! Originally I was upset about the shorter seasons, but figured they would have longer episodes. They dont! if an episode runs longer or shorter, its due to the content the episode needed. Network shows HAVE to fill a certain time which can really mess with flow and stories in the long and short term.
    Unfortunately, WB/DC doesnt have their Kevin Feige-type to direct either the cinematic or television universes (which wouldn't bother me in the least in keeping them separated). But, it might be in their best interest to keep everything on HBOMax. MAYBE one show on CW with guest stars, etc from other HBOMax shows, to draw more interest toward the streaming service?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want to buy it. From what I understand the CW as a network loses money. But the producers of the content, Warner Bros mainly right now is able to make money on the shows by selling it to Netlfix .
    I feel Warner made a mistake to let go of the WB Channel just to get a huge deal on been deeply involved with The CW.

Anytime I think of CW and the idea that shows like Riverdale and Gossip Girl got more than 4 seasons when you think the OC only lasted for 4 season on Fox and Fox knew when to cancel the OC, I have to think of this line in the film Sunset Boulevard to actually sum up the writing process of CW Network.

''Sometimes it's interesting to see just how bad—bad writing can be. This promised to go the limit.”
    — Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard

When CW came on, it was meant to be a worthy successor of The WB channel. Sadly it failed to live up to those heights.

Infact I remember the Gilmore Girls fanbase, that I am part off, saying that the reason season 7 of the series was quite bad was because CW was a mediocre channel compared to the WB channel that the showed first aired the first 6 seasons.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-14-2022 at 03:44 PM.

I am surprised I did not try to break my TV in anger after I finished watching a show like Gossip Girl (It is one of the worst shows ever done with the most awful writing I have ever seen even for a teen ya show)

I stopped watching Riverdale as well because of how bad and seriously ridiculous the characters were. terrible terrible show.

Vampire Dairies was also ruined, the last two seasons felt like fan -fiction. I cannot believe people actually once thought the show was on the same level as Buffy The Vampire Slayer that aired on WB Channel.

Nothing of good quality has ever come out of CW.
    I rather see the channel go. They are doing more harm to DC than helping it and I like DC too much to see it keep getting burned with the CW production value and mediocre writing.
    Politely, this is an under informed opinion...

https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2021/...-supernatural/

Jensen Ackles Wins Critics Choice Super Award for ‘Supernatural’
    Never mind Sterling K. Brown's turn as Gordon Walker.

That is not only brilliant drama from the CW. It holds up against anything that any network has ever produced.

This is also one of the best uses of music in any show ever. Forget that it's CW...

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Agree with both! Originally I was upset about the shorter seasons, but figured they would have longer episodes. They dont! if an episode runs longer or shorter, its due to the content the episode needed. Network shows HAVE to fill a certain time which can really mess with flow and stories in the long and short term.
    Unfortunately, WB/DC doesnt have their Kevin Feige-type to direct either the cinematic or television universes (which wouldn't bother me in the least in keeping them separated). But, it might be in their best interest to keep everything on HBOMax. MAYBE one show on CW with guest stars, etc from other HBOMax shows, to draw more interest toward the streaming service?
    I like the shorter seasons, as the filler episodes are largely gone. It makes for a tighter, more enjoyable viewing experience- especially when you binge. Plus, if you can still get the same money per season with less episodes, the budget for each episode can be raised. Just look how good Superman and Lois looks. Or even Stargirl.

I used to think Berlanti was the Feige of the Arrowverse at the least, but I really don't know how true that is anymore. And WB has tried to get a Feige type on the movie side, but it never seems to work.

Nothing of good quality has ever come out of CW. I rather see the channel go. They are doing more harm to DC than helping it and I like DC too much to see it keep getting burned with the CW production value and mediocre writing.

I wonder how much the lack of awards is due to the network not actively perusing them. Granted, none of the shows should win Best Series or anything, but it was a crime that Arrow was never recognized for their stunt work.

The CW was always chasing the next Buffy- which is kind of ironic, as The WB canceled Angel because they were planning on making Dark Shadows, which they also ended up passing on. I know The Vampire Diaries were popular- hell, even my 50 year old sister had every season on DVD- but I never watched it, so I can't make an opinion on it.

I flat out disagree with nothing good never coming from the CW, or that they are doing harm to DC. I think more people are now learning about characters that they maybe had never heard of, and are being drawn to the comic books to read more stories with them. For me, I had very limited knowledge about Black Lightning before his show, had never heard of Vigilante didn't know much about Firestorm, or the Atom, and felt that Vibe was a character that DC was trying to make happen by forcing him down people's throats, so I didn't read him at all. And while they have all had their ups and downs, Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl, and Black Lightning have all had good to great seasons. Superman and Lois is damn near movie quality. Stargirl has been excellent. There have been excellent cross overs- Crisis on Earth X is still the high point, in terms of quality. And they managed to pull off something I never thought I would see in my lifetime- a live-action adaptation of Crisis on Infinite Earths, complete with a cameo from Ezra Miller's Flash.

I feel Warner made a mistake to let go of the WB Channel just to get a huge deal on been deeply involved with The CW.

Anytime I think of CW and the idea that shows like Riverdale and Gossip Girl got more than 4 seasons when you think the OC only lasted for 4 season on Fox and Fox knew when to cancel the OC, I have to think of this line in the film Sunset Boulevard to actually sum up the writing process of CW Network.

''Sometimes it's interesting to see just how bad—bad writing can be. This promised to go the limit.”
    — Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard

When CW came on, it was meant to be a worthy successor of The WB channel. Sadly it failed to live up to those heights.

Infact I remember the Gilmore Girls fanbase, that I am part off, saying that the reason season 7 of the series was quite bad was because CW was a mediocre channel compared to the WB channel that the showed first aired the first 6 seasons.
    I don't know if it was meant to be a 'worthy successor of The WB', or whatever that means. The WB and UPN were failing as separate channels, it was decided to combine them to try and salvage the situation and make WB and Paramount money.

And please don't talk about Fox of all channels knowing when to cancel shows. This is the station that canceled Family Guy, which ended up coming back years later and is still going to this day, and Firefly, whose fanbase managed to keep interest in a series that was canceled partway through it's first season high enough that they made a Movie to tie things up.

That being said- it is a mystery why some shows get canned on the CW, and why some continue to be made despite rapidly sinking ratings, horrid writing, and cast turnover.

I honestly also don't get the obsession with awards. I mean, does everything has to be overpolished AAA-Stuff these days? Yes, we get it, the CW Shows aren't on the same production value level as Disney + stuff. But that is also not what they are aiming at.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

That being said- it is a mystery why some shows get canned on the CW, and why some continue to be made despite rapidly sinking ratings, horrid writing, and cast turnover.
    If you are trying to get a certain demographic-you will see some shows get screwed over.

Along with when you let ONE person do almost all your shows. How many shows has Greg berlanti controlled?

Most network television stations are only profitable because of sports, something CW doesn't air.
    Depending on the station in question some do broadcast sports. Generally do to the fact some stations are linked to CBS and might get a game or two for some reason.

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy it.
    I can name a person. Byron Allen. He already owns 14 local stations. Along with the Weather Channel.

I can think of some more who would love to get the CW.

We forget there are tons of stations that are NOT on Direct Tv or Cable packages.

I mean Bounce TV would have no issue with getting 400K viewers. They average half of that now.

Don't think some sports conference wouldn't want it.