Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I'm amazed people have the audacity to say this as if every single Flagship X-Book writer throughout all of history does not belong to the exact same demographic. These jobs have always been "identity first, talent optional."
    Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    "Ho hum. Well, we've had crappy white dude writers before so we might as well have a crappy Latinx lady writer now. Ho hum."

I want talent. If that talent is a white dude who writes everyone beautifully, brilliant. If it's a lesbian Asian who writes everyone horribly, no. Representation is important but not just to say there are non-white people writing the X-Books. We're at a stage where we can have diversity and talent in the same package writing X-Books. I want that package, not mediocre or worse writers of colour simply to say they're there. Those great POC writers and LGBTQIA+ writers are out there, it's just bringing them to the fore. I won't read mediocre or worse writing no matter what colour or persuasion the writer is.
    I agree w/ both of you

More representation is a must(and for better representation we need a diverse group of writers) but I'm not spending money on lesser quality just because it's from a "diverse" writer

Diversity is a YES, but when it's used as an excuse for lower quality it ruins it.The standards remain the same no matter whose writing, them being diverse matters because it means they will be better off writing those characters and we'll have a better rep for their voices.It's not a given though

Still excited to have her and the fact the thread hasn't been negative about her work gives me hope
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 01-10-2022 at 06:42 PM.

BANNED

Talent first. Gender identity, race, etc. later.
    I'm happy as Limbo we got Victor LaValle since primarily I enjoy his work and then because he's Black.
    So if a minority gets a job, they didn't go "talent first"?

Lol always the Cyke stans.

There was zero, 1-1 + nothing, reason for you to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I don’t know what people are worried about. With Hickman leaving mid-arc, the X titles could hardly get any worse.
    I say this without any hint of sarcasm or humor. I'm not trying to make or joke anything here. When it comes to comics, it can always get worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I say this without any hint of sarcasm or humor. I'm not trying to make or joke anything here. When it comes to comics, it can always get worse.
    We haven't hit peak clone saga yet with this. Give it five years, several holofoil covers and about eighteen old X-men villains returning from the dead to reveal "It was me Charles! It was me all along Charles!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    LOL! I laugh, but you are not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    We haven't hit peak clone saga yet with this. Give it five years, several holofoil covers and about eighteen old X-men villains returning from the dead to reveal "It was me Charles! It was me all along Charles!"
    Okay, now you maybe giving the X office some ideas, LoL!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Okay, now you maybe giving the X office some ideas, LoL!
    Calling it. In five years we shall see the return of Bolivar Trask, Senator Kelly, and William Stryker! And Sublime! And the Externals! And that one guy who made inhaler drug version of X-powers! And that alien guy who was terrified of Lockheed blowing fire in his face! And Deathbird! And the greatest X-villain of all, Toad, rising from the pit cackling about how this was his plan all along. The Rockslide who died will be revealed to have been an actor paid by Normal Osborn! And finally the ultimate reveal, that the true cannon origin of Mutants is the one in Marville, the secret that Cassandra Nova has being that Wolverine was the first mutant, evolved from an otter back when Jewish dinosaurs ruled the world (Yes that actually happened once).

Oh, and Trask and Kelly will both be villains again, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Calling it. In five years we shall see the return of Bolivar Trask, Senator Kelly, and William Stryker! And Sublime! And the Externals! And that one guy who made inhaler drug version of X-powers! And that alien guy who was terrified of Lockheed blowing fire in his face! And Deathbird! And the greatest X-villain of all, Toad, rising from the pit cackling about how this was his plan all along. The Rockslide who died will be revealed to have been an actor paid by Normal Osborn! And finally the ultimate reveal, that the true cannon origin of Mutants is the one in Marville, the secret that Cassandra Nova has being that Wolverine was the first mutant, evolved from an otter back when Jewish dinosaurs ruled the world (Yes that actually happened once).

Oh, and Trask and Kelly will both be villains again, for some reason.
    You need to stop, LOL! Cebulski, Jordan and Duggan maybe taking notes.

Excuse my ignorance but, who?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but, who?
    Apparently the writer of Dr. Aphra series

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

It’s easy to see what she’s done.

https://www.crashwong.net/

I'm not familiar with her work but I hope she's a great writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    So if a minority gets a job, they didn't go "talent first"?
    Lol always the Cyke stans.
    There was zero, 1-1 + nothing, reason for you to say that.
    Stop intentionally misinterpreting my words. Also... Please stop giving Jean fans a bad name by such egregious stretches of logic to justify your petty message board beefs with 'Cyke stans'. AND start noticing that Jean's in my profile gif, too, but you conveniently missed that just like you conveniently missed the point of my post so at least you're consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Maybe pick some of her stuff up before you discount her talent level. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Maybe pick some of her stuff up before you discount her talent level. Just a suggestion.
    I discounted the jumping for joy merely that a POC writer was joining the X-Books. Since I don't know her work, I can't say anything more than that, and I hope she does great things in whatever book[s] she's on. Nowhere did I say she was a bad writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I discounted the jumping for joy merely that a POC writer was joining the X-Books. Since I don't know her work, I can't say anything more than that, and I hope she does great things in whatever book[s] she's on. Nowhere did I say she was a bad writer.
    I didn’t say you did. I just said maybe pick up her stuff to gauge the quality of her work. Your phrasing made it sound like the other arguments people make against hiring a POC simply because they’re a POC, and not that they got the work based on talent. It’s tone deaf, and can be viewed as insulting. Garry’s congratulatory announcement made no mention of her racial identity, nor did Alyssa’s.