Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Gerry Duggan confirms that Alyssa Wong is joining "the X-Office"(?)

@GerryDuggan: Welcome to the X-Office, Alyssa -- hope you survive the experience.

https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/stat...45100396957701

@crashwong: Thank you! (If I perish, resurrect me on Krakoa pls)

https://twitter.com/crashwong/status...61896294322177

If this is true, I wonder what she's going to be writing...
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member

Huh. Got no experience with her work outside Aphra which was...oaky?

I haven't read her work on Aphra because I had fallen off that series earlier, so I can't really judge.

Either way, I'll try to check out whatever she does on a X-book.

So, is she a good writer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    I’ve liked her work from what I’ve read. She’s a huge champion of LGBTQ characters so that’s exciting as well.

Astonishing Member

I know she did some work on Sensational Wonder Woman but haven’t read it myself. Aphra was hit or miss for the most part.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    I enjoyed Aero. My biggest complaint was that it ended too soon.

BANNED

Good! X-Men creative/management needs all the color it can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Good! X-Men creative/management needs all the color it can get.
    Talent first. Gender identity, race, etc. later.
    I'm happy as Limbo we got Victor LaValle since primarily I enjoy his work and then because he's Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Talent first. Gender identity, race, etc. later.
    I'm happy as Limbo we got Victor LaValle since primarily I enjoy his work and then because he's Black.
    I'm amazed people have the audacity to say this as if every single Flagship X-Book writer throughout all of history does not belong to the exact same demographic. These jobs have always been "identity first, talent optional."

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I'm amazed people have the audacity to say this as if every single Flagship X-Book writer throughout all of history does not belong to the exact same demographic. These jobs have always been "identity first, talent optional."
    Well this is rare I agree with you. 100% this

Quote Originally Posted by WinterCoyote View Post
    I enjoyed Aero. My biggest complaint was that it ended too soon.
    Yeah she is good very good and she very creative too so all the characters would show out in impressive was in both personality and power. I hope Bobby is on her book.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    "Ho hum. Well, we've had crappy white dude writers before so we might as well have a crappy Latinx lady writer now. Ho hum."

I want talent. If that talent is a white dude who writes everyone beautifully, brilliant. If it's a lesbian Asian who writes everyone horribly, no. Representation is important but not just to say there are non-white people writing the X-Books. We're at a stage where we can have diversity and talent in the same package writing X-Books. I want that package, not mediocre or worse writers of colour simply to say they're there. Those great POC writers and LGBTQIA+ writers are out there, it's just bringing them to the fore. I won't read mediocre or worse writing no matter what colour or persuasion the writer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

While I think talent should be the main factor in choosing someone, Marvel should still make a conscious effort to get voices from all walks of life. Give opportunity to talent that might otherwise be overlooked, and let people bring in different views, experiences and ideas. Especially if those views involve writing stories about Hellion.

I can't really comment of Wong, since I haven't read enough of her stuff. Aero was pretty meh. Arielle's backup story was cute, and I think its flaws came from being a back-up & not having a lot of time to flesh things out. But I'm willing to go through some of her past works to get a better picture, especially if she ever states that she likes Hellion.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

I don’t know what people are worried about. With Hickman leaving mid-arc, the X titles could hardly get any worse.