Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Exactly, I mean, I’ve seen a lot of fans in social media saying that Firestar does not deserve to be an X-Man and nominated bc she preferred to hang out with the Avengers (as if that’s a bad thing). But they are all okies with Gorgon in the same position lmao.

They draw the line with the Avengers but I guess Hydra is just fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    No but you see Gorgon thinks mutants are the greatest, that makes it alright. gag

Like, seriously, if they are fine with Gorgon, Selene, and Apocalypse, guess what Firestar can have a prominient role in the X-books. And comparing Firestar to those three is an insult to Firestar.

Astonishing Member

Setting aside the supremacy angle, treating Mastermind and Daken like loveable scamps is far more disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Setting aside the supremacy angle, treating Mastermind and Daken like loveable scamps is far more disturbing
    Mastermind? It’s a fine line there. Does Jean really need to stand up and be counted with #MeToo, or was it seduction? Then there’s the whole thing about whether it was really Jean or Phoenix, and is there a difference? If the victim was a godlike, alien force of nature, did Mastermind hurt any person? Surely, we wouldn’t blame Jason Wyngarde for what Phoenix wrought? In issue 137, Phoenix/Jean told Scott the progression toward Dark Phoenix or Phoenix was an inevitability. AvX seems to confirm this. At worst, Mastermind speeded that process up, which brings us back to his seduction or rape of Jean/Phoenix. I think it best to give a charitable view. Otherwise, too many ugly questions X comics aren’t prepared to deal with crop up.
    Last edited by Brian B; 01-11-2022 at 10:30 AM.

How often does Emma apologize in general? What makes Firestar special? She got more than most

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How often does Emma apologize in general? What makes Firestar special? She got more than most
    I agree. Angelica has got more of an apology than anyone else ever has.

Emma has come after Angelica how many times after she left? 4? 5 times? Maybe Emma is obsessed with her? The daughter she never had? Lol.

Or quite possibly Emma knows she was wrong and wants to right a wrong by constantly trying to bring back Firestar into the fold. She is after all arguably Emma's greatest student. She's used her powers to save the world multiple times and has never died once.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I agree. Angelica has got more of an apology than anyone else ever has.

Emma has come after Angelica how many times after she left? 4? 5 times? Maybe Emma is obsessed with her? The daughter she never had? Lol.

Or quite possibly Emma knows she was wrong and wants to right a wrong by constantly trying to bring back Firestar into the fold. She is after all arguably Emma's greatest student. She's used her powers to save the world multiple times and has never died once.
    Cyclops is Emma's greatest student. She's apologised in Gen X and every subsequent appearance is rinse and repeat.

I'd like to see one of Emmas Gen X/NXM students stand up for her. Like Monet

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Mastermind? It’s a fine line there. Does Jean really need to stand up and be counted with #MeToo, or was it seduction? Then there’s the whole thing about whether it was really Jean or Phoenix, and is there a difference? If the victim was a godlike, alien force of nature, did Mastermind hurt any person? Surely, we wouldn’t blame Jason Wyngarde for what Phoenix wrought? In issue 137, Phoenix/Jean told Scott the progression toward Dark Phoenix or Phoenix was an inevitability. AvX seems to confirm this. At worst, Mastermind speeded that process up, which brings us back to his seduction or rape of Jean/Phoenix. I think it best to give a charitable view. Otherwise, too many ugly questions X comics aren’t prepared to deal with crop up.
    He also went after Scarlet Witch during the early Brotherhood days...also I think at least one of his daughters was the product of rape?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Jean/Phoenix being a force, an alien, god, or whatever is irrelevant to the discussion of Mastermind being or not a predator. Whatever Phoenix did as Dark Phoenix does not negate that he was a disgusting creep who wanted Jean/Phoenix for himself and to use her for status. He was also a creep to Wanda back in the day. Mastermind being despicable is one of the least controversial statements.

Queens don't apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Cyclops is Emma's greatest student…
    Bwahahaha!

In other news, it seems Firestar never found out about what Emma did to teenage Jean and Scott…

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

To be fair to Emma, this is one scene that made me like her, albeit fleetingly. She tries to encourage teenage Jean, which I found genuinely moving, while admitting she’d have to “put [her, as a teenager and novice telepath,] down like a dog to give the rest of us a fighting chance.”

It’s good that Emma knows her rank and place…

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    Queens don't apologize.
    A position agreed to by a panel of Parisian Jacobins.

#justice4butterrum

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Agreed although why the likes of the stated above should be a part of the nation is still a "wha" to me. But I guess Moira also wants serial killers to be treated as equals in society. Its very weird. Like I get Emma but Shaw, and I get Erik but Sinister? Like who is vetting this.
    I guess the logic is that, since Moira has tried to unite mutants but not include everyone (By either being part of only Xavier's group, or Apocalypse's), then it failed, so I guess the next "logical" step is to have everyone together.

Of course, even if we ignore how colossally out of character it is for the X-Men to accept evil mutants, specially those who haven't changed like Mystique... Well, even if we ignore that, have them be in a position of power is just batshit crazy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    That Generation X meeting looks more like a non apology...she says she should be apologizing then ramble off into woe is me over the death of the Hellions and being given a 2nd chance. She never says "I'm sorry for the evil **** I did to you".
    She doesn't say it, but at least I get the feel she was saying Angelica was right for being idealistic.

I think this is as good as you can get with Emma, lol.

Exactly, I mean, I’ve seen a lot of fans in social media saying that Firestar does not deserve to be an X-Man and nominated bc she preferred to hang out with the Avengers (as if that’s a bad thing). But they are all okies with Gorgon in the same position lmao.

They draw the line with the Avengers but I guess Hydra is just fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Maybe it's a "at least Hydra's honest about being nazis" situation .

Jean/Phoenix being a force, an alien, god, or whatever is irrelevant to the discussion of Mastermind being or not a predator. Whatever Phoenix did as Dark Phoenix does not negate that he was a disgusting creep who wanted Jean/Phoenix for himself and to use her for status. He was also a creep to Wanda back in the day. Mastermind being despicable is one of the least controversial statements.
    Yeah, but at least he's not an Avenger .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    He also went after Scarlet Witch during the early Brotherhood days...also I think at least one of his daughters was the product of rape?
    I am not aware that one of Mastermind’s daughters is a product of rape. I Googled it and I came up with fan theories, and that’s about it. If you have a citation, great. If not that’s okay, but all I can say is I’m not aware of how he became a father.

Of course it’s relevant. If no person, not even an animal, was hurt by Mastermind’s actions against “fake” Jean/Phoenix, then there is no crime, no wrong. Then it doesn’t matter what Mastermind did.

As for Wanda, yes, he was a creep, but not a rapist, not even a groper.

If it was actually Jean that Mastermind seduced or raped, that changes everything, and raises far more questions, including why a genocidal — actually, omnicidal — monster is allowed to roam free, and I don’t mean Mastermind.

I don’t think we want to contemplate that stuff. Better to think of it as current canon has it, not actually Jean thus Mastermind committed no crime. It gets too ugly to contemplate it. The creators on the X titles over years now have proven themselves to be incapable of dealing with these sensitive issues. For God’s sake, they have a fictional war criminal from Auschwitz who murdered children in ghastly experiments on the Quiet Council, Mr. Sinister, and no one wants to address that. You think the X authors or editors are capable of handling a topic like Mastermind’s rapey vibe — I think we can agree on at least that, he’s creepy — with the sensitivity, ethics and morality needed? I do not think they’re capable of handling such a topic. It’s better to let it go. This unrelated movie expresses it best...

Forget-it-Jake.-Its-Chinatown.jpg

Anyway, my opinion on the stated topic of this thread, if Firestar wants an apology out of Emma, she should just force it out of Emma. Firestar is no pushover. She’s an Avenger. She can trash Emma or force her to say whatever she wants.
    Last edited by Brian B; 01-11-2022 at 12:52 PM.