Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Actually, that’s pretty accurate. A lot of his problems are self-inflicted rather than the universe being out to get him (I mean it is, but he doesn’t really help himself).

He’s not Superman, yet he tries act like he’s Superman by putting on more responsibility than he can actually handle. I’d say that’s very immature.
    Reminds me of what Aunt May said to him in the hospital in the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film: "You do too much. You're not Superman, you know."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    *Sigh*
    I guess if you really wanted to argue it, dressing up in a costume and playing hero could be seen as immature. So with that I guess there is no getting out of it.
    We could have him work together with Ben, Miles, Cindy or any of the plethora of people that are willing to help him, but no, he has to everything himself, and that's dumb.

That being said, I can't really blame Peter for it since his fans prefer him to be alone and unaccomplished.

And before you talk about MJ, he never really put his all in the relationship to begin with. That's why his marriage is overrated.

Extraordinary Member

Being an adult isn't having no problems; being an adult is knowing your own limits.

Peter is a really selfish person. For all his introspection, he doesn't really seem to value other people's input. That's why he always works alone.
    By this logic superheroes in team books are the only one's who aren't selfish.

That's why it's hard to take him seriously whenever he says that his life sucks; he didn't do everything in his power to make it not suck in the first place.
    By this logic, it sounds like he should just quit being Spidey altogether then because that life is never not going to have incredibly large complications no matter what kinds of decisions he makes.

Honestly, it really does sound like the life you want him to have would require him to give up his secret identity, since that's where most of his problems stem from in the first place. I'm not even sure what attracted you to the character, TBH. You seem to want to change everything about him.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    By this logic superheroes in team books are the only one's who aren't selfish.
    I see why you're so jaded then. There's no point in Peter teaming up with anyone if it's just going to devolve into a soap opera of him and his teammates bickering every issue. You're right.

By this logic, it sounds like he should just quit being Spidey altogether then because that life is never not going to have incredibly large complications no matter what kinds of decisions he makes.

Honestly, it really does sound like the life you want him to have would require him to give up his secret identity, since that's where most of his problems stem from in the first place. I'm not even sure what attracted you to the character, TBH. You seem to want to change everything about him.
    It's not that I want him to quit. It's that I want him to stop complaining everytime something happens. It was fine the first two or three times, but by now he should know what he's getting into.

We could have him work together with Ben, Miles, Cindy or any of the plethora of people that are willing to help him, but no, he has to everything himself, and that's dumb.

That being said, I can't really blame Peter for it since his fans prefer him to be alone and unaccomplished.

And before you talk about MJ, he never really put his all in the relationship to begin with. That's why his marriage is overrated.
    Wouldn’t it pretty much require him to quit being Spider-Man “to put his all” into his marriage?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Then what about Luke and Jessica and Reed and Sue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Then what about Luke and Jessica and Reed and Sue?
    They didn't start as teens nor marketed as a teen everyman. FF tends to be described as a sitcom so Reed works better married to Sue.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-24-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They didn't start as teens nor marketed as a teen everyman. FF tends to be described as a sitcom so Reed works better married to Sue. Ironically Danny Rand would've been better off he was still married to Misty and being a dad.
    Never read where FF reads as a sitcom and never said that them being a teen and everyman im saying they dont it all towards a marriage and have to quit being a hero. That's why it's a family thing with more than 1 person

Spider-Man is about Peter not being able to put his all into his civilian life because of Spider-Man, and not being able to put all into Spider-Man because his civilian life. The whole appeal of the character is the constant tug of war between both and you want to see him do the best at both but he is always falling short of perfection. The marriage lended itself very well to this because having a wife who needs you raises the stakes as opposed to be single and not owing your time to anyone. Thats what made the marriage interesting imo and well suited to the character.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-24-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

Wouldn’t it pretty much require him to quit being Spider-Man “to put his all” into his marriage?
    Not if he gets people to help him. If you want to see it as weakness, fine, but not relying on others doesn't make him seem strong either.

Not if he gets people to help him. If you want to see it as weakness, fine, but not relying on others doesn't make him seem strong either.
    Hm, I guess, but solving all of Spider-Man's problems by just getting another hero to fill in for him whenever he needs to do something as Peter doesn't make things very interesting for the reader, IMO. I think he works better as a solo hero for this reason.

Hm, I guess, but solving all of Spider-Man's problems by just getting another hero to fill in for him whenever he needs to do something as Peter doesn't make things very interesting for the reader, IMO. I think he works better as a solo hero for this reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up i would agree if there weren't so many

Astonishing Member

"Fill in"? No such thing as "working together"?

This is sad.

I find that I like teamups more than solo Spidey in general.

Teamups are fine, what I meant was a solo hero in the fact that he send other heroes to take care of things for him so he can excel as Peter whenever there is a conflict between his obligations as Peter and as Spider-Man. I wasn’t referring to traditional teamups because in that case he is still out as Spider-Man.

The context of the conversation is that the point of the character is the conflict between his responsibilities as Peter vs Spider-Man. It works better if he can’t depend on all the other Marvel characters to do the heroics for him whenever he is in a jam.

He has called up heroes before and that is fine, it just shouldn’t be the go to solution every time because then you are erasing the core of what this character is about.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-24-2022 at 11:14 PM.