Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The super-hero side can appeal to all age groups. The Peter Parker side is going to be less relatable and less appealing to kids if he's a married man with a mortgage.

Adults who buy Marvel comics are clearly already fine with reading things written for an adolescent audience.

Adults are able to relate to stories about teenagers because they themselves have experienced that stage of life. Even if it's not directly relevant to their current lives, they can read a story and think "I remember what that was like". If an adult no longer wants to read stories about characters whose lives they no longer directly relate to, then that's fine. They should stop reading them.

Wanted to say one more thing about the subject of him being less relatable as an adult, I disagree based on my own experience. Kid's play grownup all the time, they like to imagine themselves older and look forward to that time. I know I did and it was very natural when reading a married Peter at 12 years old to put myself in his shoes and imagine me like I was him.

It was also very healthy for me to see how he and MJ loved each other despite all the problems in their marriage. Growing up I did not have an example of love like that between my parents, and I owe it to Spider-Man that I value marriage to the extent I do today. It has helped me overcome every adversity and value and love my wife because I had Peter as an example growing up. I wouldn't trade that for the world.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-25-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Fair enough, its your opinion. But Spider-Man is already aged up and told stories for decades in his mid-20s. Vague mid-to-late 20s works. You can tell almost any story at that age. He can be a student, he can work a job, he can have relationships to the fullest, he can even be a parent. It's a very good age for flexible storytelling. Likewise, Miles and Gwen now fill the niche of the teen Spider-hero. The genie is out of the bottle with Peter Parker. Putting him back to high school is even worse than OMD and fans would complain to the end of time, the book will be dropped, and readers would not stick with the character as long. For me there that would be the end. I'd be done completely. It would also eliminate the benefit of having variety in the Spider-titles.

Adapting a younger Peter for cartoons is fine but there is no need to revert him to that in the comics. More harm than good.
    I never said they should revert him to being a teenager in the comics. There's no good way of doing that while retaining continuity with the Marvel universe.

What I've said is that it was a mistake to age him into his 20s in the first place. Spider-Man is the best teen hero Marvel has ever had. Spider-Man is a teen property in cartoons and movies, but the current comics don't align.

The best course of action would be to focus on his civilian life as an Empire State University student, and keep him there forever, without mentioning his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I never said they should revert him to being a teenager in the comics. There's no good way of doing that while retaining continuity with the Marvel universe.

What I've said is that it was a mistake to age him into his 20s in the first place. Spider-Man is the best teen hero Marvel has ever had. Spider-Man is a teen property in cartoons and movies, but the current comics don't align.

The best course of action would be to focus on his civilian life as an Empire State University student, and keep him there forever, without mentioning his age.
    Ah ok, well now that you say it, lol....

Astonishing Member

Fair enough, its your opinion. But Spider-Man is already aged up and told stories for decades in his mid-20s. Vague mid-to-late 20s works. You can tell almost any story at that age. He can be a student, he can work a job, he can have relationships to the fullest, he can even be a parent. It's a very good age for flexible storytelling. Likewise, Miles and Gwen now fill the niche of the teen Spider-hero. The genie is out of the bottle with Peter Parker. Putting him back to high school is even worse than OMD and fans would complain to the end of time, the book will be dropped, and readers would not stick with the character as long. For me there that would be the end. I'd be done completely. It would also eliminate the benefit of having variety in the Spider-titles.

Adapting a younger Peter for cartoons is fine but there is no need to revert him to that in the comics. More harm than good.
    I have to know: will Miles and Gwen be allowed to age up or will they become stuck as teen heroes to fill the niche?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I have to know: will Miles and Gwen be allowed to age up or will they become stuck as teen heroes to fill the niche?
    I don't know. They already have a little bit, but for variety sake it's probably better they don't. It won't make sense to age them up to Peter's age and not age Peter. So to prevent aging Peter into his 30s it may be best to leave them to fill in the niche.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-25-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't know. They already have a little bit, but for variety sake it's probably better they don't. It won't make since to age them up to Peter's age and not age Peter. So to prevent aging Peter into his 30s it may be best to leave them to fill in the niche.
    And that's why I think that Adult Peter is overrated. It's purely aesthetic. Nothing actually changes.

And that's why I think that Adult Peter is overrated. It's purely aesthetic. Nothing actually changes.
    I disagree. What you can do with a high schooler is more limited.

Astonishing Member

I think I see the problem. You actually like soap opera-esque tropes that I hate. To me, soap operas are a cancer that infects media with cheap drama. It's what ruined the MCU, it's what ruined the Arrowverse, and it's what's ruining Spider-Man.

To me, there are lots of shows that have plenty of conflict without devolving into a soap opera, so I don't see it as an important part of the mythos.
    Spider-Man has been a soap opera since its very beginning.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-25-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

I disagree. What you can do with a high schooler is more limited.
    So why are we limiting Gwen and Miles?

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Spider-Man has been a soap opera since its very beginning.
    I see that. I'm just surprised by how many people see that as a good thing.

Astonishing Member

Like I've said before, if this gigantic aspect of the character that an abundance of his appeal is based on doesn't interest you, it might be time to move onto another character. It's like getting tired of the Guardians of the Galaxy's space adventures and suddenly demanding that they only go on road trips.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-25-2022 at 02:26 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

So why are we limiting Gwen and Miles?
    As spinoffs of Spider-Man and part of the Spider line, they are always going to be limited by nature. To not be limited, they would have to be completely unique characters not tied to Spider-Man, like Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc

Astonishing Member

As spinoffs of Spider-Man and part of the Spider line, they are always going to be limited by nature. To not be limited, they would have to be completely unique characters not tied to Spider-Man, like Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc
    "unique characters"

Well, either way having no one age severely limits Peter and the stories that he can tell.

I'm cool with Peter being in high school or an adult/in-college. Depending on the target audience (and the writers) mature stories can be told with either one.

Astonishing Member

Because otherwise it would be Peanuts. Or Bugs Bunny. In other words, something it’s not.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-26-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Because otherwise it would be Peanuts. Or Bugs Bunny. In other words, something it’s not.
    You mean a show where we enjoy seeing characters be petty, miserable, and annoying? Sounds like a soap opera to me.