Default Is the next big action star toiling away in obscurity even as we speak?

Looking at IMDB, around the time Arnold’s Star was beginning to dim w. movies like End of Days (1999), The 6th Day (2000), Collateral Damage (2002)…

…Dwayne Johnson was playing his own dad on That 70s Show (1999), a hologram on Star Trek Voyager (2000), a horrible looking CGI scorpion in The Mummy Returns (2001), a mugger in some movie called Longshot (2001) which I’ve never heard of.

Even after Arnold passed the torch in The Rundown (2003), it took time for Dwayne to seal the deal. His billing was slowly going from The Rock to Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson to Dwayne Johnson, but things like Doom (2005) were still in his future.

So is there someone out there right now we’ll look back on in 10-12 years and be able to trace a trajectory from minor roles to action Star supremacy?

EDIT
    I didn’t include Stallone’s doings in the early 00s cuz I was lazy, and it was Arnold who passed the torch.

Extraordinary Member

Don't think so. I think the era of the action star is over. Sadly even the Rock doesn't even do hard core action movies. A lot of cartoon punches but not much else.

^^^Eh, it was worth a shot, thanks!
    Was hoping for some fun/serious/tongue in cheek guesses, educated guesses, guesstimates.

Commence w. the burying, and on to Page 2!

Astonishing Member

A movie does not sell because of a star anymore.

When I was young it was like: The new Arnie (Stallone, Chan, Van Damme etc.) is out, lets go see it. We sought out a movie because of the actor not the IP. The story wasn't very important first.
    It was an Schwarzenegger film, so we watched it.

Today you get to see a Marvel movie (Harry Potter, LOTR, DC etc.) . Not a Robert Downey jr. movie for example. You go see it because of the franchise, the actors comes second.

And the Rock was the only potentiell next big action star, but he blew it big time. All he does is mild comedy (not even funny), or action movies that look either cheap or are so exaggerated that its no fun anymore. Wire action and cgi mess. (Skyscraper, Rampage, Fast and the Furious)

The only good ones I can think of are Faster and Snitch.

"Action star" is an evolving term. When guys like Nicolas Cage and Liam Neeson can end up becoming action heroes, it means audiences just want things changed up once in awhile. James Bond is still a thing, The Rock is still a thing, even if it's cartoony action. People love John Wick movies, Ryan Reynolds has been churning out action movies as well as his superhero franchise, same with Chris Pratt. And I feel there are still several female-lead action movies a year, even if none of them end up becoming big action stars doesn't mean one of them might not hit. So I think it's possible, we just won't know where it will come from. I mean, who knew the guys from "Moonlighting" and "French Prince of Bell Air" would become huge action stars.

I remember when Sam Worthington was going to be the next big thing-appearing in Avatar, Terminator Salvation and Clash of the Titans in the same year. Then he just kind of faded out apart from B-movies and a few OK supporting roles. Same with Gerard Butler.

Cavill seems to be doing better lately. He's on many's wish list for James Bond, but then again so were Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen when Brosnan left.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Don't think so. I think the era of the action star is over. Sadly even the Rock doesn't even do hard core action movies. A lot of cartoon punches but not much else.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I remember when Sam Worthington was going to be the next big thing-appearing in Avatar, Terminator Salvation and Clash of the Titans in the same year. Then he just kind of faded out apart from B-movies and a few OK supporting roles. Same with Gerard Butler.

Cavill seems to be doing better lately. He's on many's wish list for James Bond, but then again so were Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen when Brosnan left.
    Well, it's something to consider that Cavill is almost 38, Chris Hemsworth is also 38. They can still build great upper bodies with significant prep time (just don't ask about skipping leg-day)

However, Butler is 52, Jackman is 53. Ryan Reynold is 45 & the Rock is 49. I distinctly remember reading that Batista 52 has openly made several statements that his days as Drax is nearly over because of the amount of work it takes to maintain his Drax physique.

Now that I think of it, even Jackman downplays any future MCU-Wolverine. roles. Though he could probably get persuaded at Old Man Logan for some serious Disney money.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Same with Taylor Kitsch. It's much easier to name people who weren't the next big action star than to successfully predict one.

Astonishing Member

There is no need for action stars anymore. We have Batman, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Star Trek and many more stuff.

Honestly I can’t think of any young actors in the action occasionally comedy vane right now. Michale B Jordan is already a superstar but isn’t an action guy. Hes does as many dramas as he does action. I think Tom Holand is gonna follow that path more so then The rock or Arnold. Chris Hemsworth is probably the closes thing but he’s not that young. Jason Mamoa also no that young and not obscure. Honestly isn’t a single young actor I can’t point to and say that guys gonna be a huge action star. Maybe someone like Trevante Rhodes. He’s very charismatic and is believable as an action guy. Though I don’t know if that’s the path is gonna go down either. Simu Liu was also great as Shang Chi. Doubt he will ever be The rock big but I think he has a bright career ahead. Hearing the stunt cordinators talks about his dedication(While at the same time taking a dig at Fin Jones during iron fist and his apparent lack of dedication). Simu sold the action really well and i could see him doing a lot more action stuff outside Shang Chi.

Far from obscure, but I think Adam Driver has a shot, if he wants to go that way. He's shown he can be dedicated to the physicality and is usually in good shape (the man was a Marine), he's a great dramatic actor but with the kind of large personality that would work well in action films and without being a pretty-boy, which I think helps with broad appeal.(like Nic Cage before he became a self-parody) I had fan-casted him as Moon Knight for the movies, but while that ship has sailed I can see him taking his career to be action-oriented for a decade before aging out of it and refocusing on drama.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-13-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I wish it would be Michael B. Jordan.

What a physical specimen. But he may be wanting to do more serious roles.

Let’s face it, we’re talking about Rupert Grunt here aren’t we?